2022 Oil change 1.5L: Do it early

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
II Kings 9:20
Car: 2021 Nissan Rogue SV

I did the '22 1.5T 3cyl oil change at 3,000 miles. It is different from my '21 Rogue 2.5 also done at 3,000 miles

Both '21 and 22 require removing the belly pan. Two 10mm bolts and 12-15 plastic push pins. Chrysler had a better idea with a flip down access panel on my '17 Pacifica.

The 1.5 used oil was the thinnest oil I've ever seen. It flowed like green/brown water and reaked of gasoline. I've had plenty of other cars with 0W20 oil and none have been like water on an oil change. It is probably the nastiest looking and smelling oil in my experience and only after 3K miles.

I am stupefied that Nissan calls for a 10,000 mile oil change, a tiny filter fit for a lawnmower, and NO requirement for synthetic oil on a turbo. I doubt this engine will run 200-300K like a Toyota or Honda.

I plan to change min every 5K with Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic. I will go longer on the non turbo 2.5 but probably not 10K

While it smelled like gas, I think the dilution is minimal because it was never above the full mark on the dipstick unlike the early 1.5T Honda engines that had major dilution and oil way above the full mark.

The '22 has a plastic waffle texture oil pan (a first in the whole of my life) with a drain bolt paint marked to properly torque with the paint mark on the metal base at the plastic pan. The '21 2.5 has a conventional steel pan.

The crush washer is a true "crush washer" unlike any I have seen in over 40 years of changing oil. $1.00 at the dealer.

The oil filter for both the 1.5 and 2.5 is even smaller than the tiny Honda filters and there's room enough for a larger filter from the Nissan truck or the Honda XG7317. I don't know if that voids the warranty??

If you plan to keep the 1.5 for a long time, change early and often. I haven't decided which I'll trade on my Silverado EV. The only advantage of the 1.5 is MUCH better MPG. 28.6 vs 22.8 over 3,000 miles.
IMG_5132 (2).jpg
IMG_5132 (2).jpg (17.82 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
IMG_5133.jpg
IMG_5133.jpg (17.22 KiB) Viewed 2742 times

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

II Kings 9:20 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 4:56 pm
The oil filter for both the 1.5 and 2.5 is even smaller than the tiny Honda filters and there's room enough for a larger filter from the Nissan truck or the Honda XG7317. I don't know if that voids the warranty??
Welcome to DIG turbo world. They all get black and crappy-looking oil inside of 1K miles after a change, it doesn't matter what filter you use or what else you do. Juke owners have known all about it for a long time. Film strength is the ultimate determiner and not viscosity, and that's why full synthetic is the wise choice.

Using the truck filter on your 2.5 definitely won't void anything. The PR25 has been around since '19, long enough for everyone to know there are no issues with the bigger element. The 1.5 is another matter, it's still a quantity with no history. Technically Nissan would need to prove the filter contributed to a failure for it to void the warranty, but in the real world and not the legal one, it could have the effect of shifting the burden of proof from Nissan to you in the event of a catastrophe. So my advice would be to stick with the original part for at least the first couple of years, if not until the 5/60 on the drivetrain is up.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Didn’t really care much about the crush washer, it would have been more interesting seeing the brownish green water-like oil.
:popcorn:
I never really used crush washers until recently in the last 5-7 years and I thought those were the norm and I’m an old fart who changed oil since owning a 1990 pearl glow maxima; Drain plug sans washer.
:drama: :drama:

Never really thought of oil smelling like gas either, since I never did notice that issue. Certainly weird, never knew much of that while changing oil. :gotme

casperfun wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 7:31 pm
Didn’t really care much about the crush washer, it would have been more interesting seeing the brownish green water-like oil.
:popcorn:
I never really used crush washers until recently in the last 5-7 years and I thought those were the norm and I’m an old fart who changed oil since owning a 1990 pearl glow maxima; Drain plug sans washer.
:drama: :drama:

Never really thought of oil smelling like gas either, since I never did notice that issue. Certainly weird, never knew much of that while changing oil. :gotme
I got a pic of the oil. Nothing special, just typical brown oil. The greenish hue is not seen and the file is too large to attach. I wish I had a video. It was impressive water like brown fluid pouring out like a water fountain. This is the first where I’ve smelled pretty strong gas in the oil and I did my first oil change around 78/79 in high school.

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 6:32 pm
Thu May 12, 2022 4:56 pm
Welcome to DIG turbo world. They all get black and crappy-looking oil inside of 1K miles after a change, it doesn't matter what filter you use or what else you do. Juke owners have known all about it for a long time. Film strength is the ultimate determiner and not viscosity, and that's why full synthetic is the wise choice.

Using the truck filter on your 2.5 definitely won't void anything. The PR25 has been around since '19, long enough for everyone to know there are no issues with the bigger element. The 1.5 is another matter, it's still a quantity with no history. Technically Nissan would need to prove the filter contributed to a failure for it to void the warranty, but in the real world and not the legal one, it could have the effect of shifting the burden of proof from Nissan to you in the event of a catastrophe. So my advice would be to stick with the original part for at least the first couple of years, if not until the 5/60 on the drivetrain is up.
Yep. Definitely going stock filter on the 1.5T through the 5/60. Might even let the dealer change the oil at 10k as recommended and I’ll do every 5K. Cheap insurance on a Turbo and yes, full synthetic on all my cars. I’ve owned 7 turbo cars and a few GDI, but this is my first turbo GDI.

C-ya
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Thu May 12, 2022 8:04 pm
I got a pic of the oil. Nothing special, just typical brown oil. The greenish hue is not seen and the file is too large to attach. I wish I had a video. It was impressive water like brown fluid pouring out like a water fountain. This is the first where I’ve smelled pretty strong gas in the oil and I did my first oil change around 78/79 in high school.
I use a program called Irfanview (search should find it quickly) to resize pictures when they are too large. I also host on Imgur and use a link from there for forum pictures. That way it is hosted on their site, not taking up room on the forum's server.
VStar650CL wrote:
Using the truck filter on your 2.5 definitely won't void anything. The PR25 has been around since '19, long enough for everyone to know there are no issues with the bigger element.
What model and year truck? I am a big proponent of using the biggest filter I can with the higher mileage change intervals.

NMD
Car: 2021 Rogue Platinum AWD
2011 Sentra SR
2022 VW Jetta SE (wife's car, please don't hate)

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but my VID keeps giving me reminders that my first oil change will be at around 6,200-6,300 miles. First I thought it an outrage, as I remember we discussed in a different thread and '20 had a 10K interval. Then I remembered '21 had a different engine, so I checked the manual and the interval there is 5K. What gives? Should I pat myself on the back? Does it really take driving habits and conditions into account and extends the interval as well as shortens it, or is the whole thing pretty much random?

NMD wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:38 pm
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but my VID keeps giving me reminders that my first oil change will be at around 6,200-6,300 miles. First I thought it an outrage, as I remember we discussed in a different thread and '20 had a 10K interval. Then I remembered '21 had a different engine, so I checked the manual and the interval there is 5K. What gives? Should I pat myself on the back? Does it really take driving habits and conditions into account and extends the interval as well as shortens it, or is the whole thing pretty much random?
I’ll need to confirm the interval on the 21 as my daughter has it on vacation right now but the 22 has a 10,000 mile oil change interval which I think is excessive for a turbo with conventional oil

C-ya wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:53 am
Thu May 12, 2022 8:04 pm
I use a program called Irfanview (search should find it quickly) to resize pictures when they are too large. I also host on Imgur and use a link from there for forum pictures. That way it is hosted on their site, not taking up room on the forum's server.
VStar650CL wrote:
Using the truck filter on your 2.5 definitely won't void anything. The PR25 has been around since '19, long enough for everyone to know there are no issues with the bigger element.
What model and year truck? I am a big proponent of using the biggest filter I can with the higher mileage change intervals.
Thanks on the picture size. If I use my laptop it’s not a problem. Posting from my phone is the big issue. As it turns out the oil just looks like regular black oil which why I haven’t bothered to repost it.

With regards to the oil filter for the pickup truck, I picked that up off one of these forms which is a brilliant idea. I did that with my 2005 Chrysler 300 C short filter and I used a longer filter from the pick up truck. I believe the Nissan pick up truck is the V6 frontier or the V8 titan. It is the exact filter size that the Honda Accord Odyssey and Acura MDX use. I tested the fit with my Acura filter from Fram the XG 7317. Because I am under warranty and may have a dealer change the oil at the first 10,000 mile interval I went with the stock Nissan filter. Funny when I had my Chrysler I didn’t think about the Orsize filter and any warranty problems. That may be overblown on my part.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Nissan p/n for the truck filter is 15208-9E01A. You can xref it from that, there are lots of equivalents.

C-ya
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Thanks to both of you. I found the OEM filter on Amazon as well as some equivalents. Now to wait for the next oil change. My daughter doesn't drive much.

nikolace31
Car: 2022 Nissan Rogue SL Premium AWD

Will be changing the oil on my Rogue with Liqui Moly Special Tec 0W20 https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/specia ... escription

I am confident this is a great oil for this engine.

nikolace31 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:31 pm
Will be changing the oil on my Rogue with Liqui Moly Special Tec 0W20 https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/specia ... escription

I am confident this is a great oil for this engine.
While this is not exactly the same oil or viscosity, it’s worth a watch. Thanks for the link to the liquid Molly, as you know, it meets the Nissan requirement of SP. From what I can gather, SP is about fuel economy and not oil protection. None of these oils tested in the video below meet Nissan’s new SP requirement for the 1.5 L turbo engine. That’s not the point of this video. This is to illustrate how good Amazon basic synthetic oil is and how it outperforms this particular version of the expensive European liquid Moly.

Off topic FYI: Amazon basics, Costco’s Kirkland, and Walmart Supertech are all made by Warren motor oils out of Oklahoma. Wix is now making Supertech’s filter. There are people who say synthetic oils aren’t worth the extra cost when in fact, Costco‘s 5 quart jug is only $15 and it is 100% pure synthetic and the same at oil as Amazon basics which performs quite well in testing. It doesn’t have to be that synthetic oils always cost more and any of these synthetics are superior to any conventional motor oil. In the playoffs of these oils, ultimately Amsoil won the championship just barely over Pennzoil Platinum. https://youtu.be/oc5i6Vevox4

Return to “Rogue Forum”