2022 Gets new engine!

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Briguy1027

I am not sure this has been posted before -- I didn't see it, but I went to the LA auto show last week. Many car makers weren't there, but Nissan was, and I checked out the Rogue. They don't have a hybrid but the 2022 version will be coming out with the 1.5L VC turbo engine, which increases both power and fuel efficiency, but still has the CVT transmission. Exciting news. And the CVT is not a deal-breaker for me -- as I have 150K miles on my 2008 rogue and that transmission still works fine.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I noted this in another post. Our DTS (Nissan tech rep) showed up a couple months back driving a proto Rogue with the turbo 3-banger. It was very smooth and very ballsy. Many people don't realize that the only engine configuration with less harmonic crap than an L3 is a boxer. It's inherently smoother than a V8, which is part of the reason the Kawi H1 500 triple was the fastest thing on wheels in the late 60's. That same lack of harmonic power losses should make it a winning candidate for the VC makeover, and should allow the tuners more latitude than the L4's in reaching for peak power without compromising driveability. I can't wait to work on one and dissect it a little.
;)

Briguy1027

Whoa, I didn't know it was a 3 cylinder. That explains some of the increase in fuel economy. This engine should put the Rogue at the top of the list of gas-powered only CUVs. I think the only competition in the balance between fuel economy and performance would be the various hybrid powertrains out there. But the advantage of the Rogue would of course be a less complicated system and cost.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Well, this has almost disqualified me getting a new Rogue as a business vehicle unless the 2.5L stays. Now my question is will Nissan give the option between the QR AND VC or are we stuck with a 3banger for most (or all) trims?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

To my knowledge they're phasing out the QR25 and the new VC will be the only powerplant for 2022. Dunno what they're planning upstream from that, but the PR25 or KR20 from the gen6 Altima would seem to be unsuitable (it would mean a major reconfiguration of the engine box because the exhaust and intake are reversed from the QR). They are beefing up the CVT for the new 3-banger, and since it's basically 3/4 of a QR25 with a 120 degree crank, I'd say a future 6-cyl option is distinctly possible. But I wouldn't say "stuck with" in the first place, the 3-banger is comfier, ballsier, and more economical than the QR. I have no idea why it would render the Rogue unsuitable for business.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

:popcorn: :drama: :popcorn:

datechboss101

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:37 pm
To my knowledge they're phasing out the QR25 and the new VC will be the only powerplant for 2022. Dunno what they're planning upstream from that, but the PR25 or KR20 from the gen6 Altima would seem to be unsuitable (it would mean a major reconfiguration of the engine box because the exhaust and intake are reversed from the QR). They are beefing up the CVT for the new 3-banger, and since it's basically 3/4 of a QR25 with a 120 degree crank, I'd say a future 6-cyl option is distinctly possible. But I wouldn't say "stuck with" in the first place, the 3-banger is comfier, ballsier, and more economical than the QR. I have no idea why it would render the Rogue unsuitable for business.
Owning 2 of these Rogues, just wanted to keep consistency; and I prefer NA powertrains (but this is just one person's opinion). Also just not a fan of anything below 2 liters (especially when turbocharged). Even though I like the CRV, from the 2020 model, they removed the K24 and slapped the horrid L15 (1.5T) motor in all trims. My hope was to get a Rogue after this happened to the CRV, but then now being more confirmed that this too is falling victim to that same 1.5T 3banger life like the Escape, I have to remove this from my list. Might have to go used on these Rogues now (preferably the 2nd gen) unless that QR is the base motor for MY 2022 and 2023.

Nissan really didn't need to change the recipe of the Rogue since everything is in a perfectly balanced ratio.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

datechboss101 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:22 am
Nissan really didn't need to change the recipe of the Rogue since everything is in a perfectly balanced ratio.
Most of the car pundits disagree with you, and so do I. Car and Driver ranked the '21 Rogue 9th in their "overall desirability" ratings, mostly due to sluggish performance compared to all of its primary competitors. For the most part, the industry reviews reflect, "competent but unexciting." Not exactly sales-boosting stuff. You're of course entitled to your personal feelings, but the realities of the car market show that most people want something else.

casperfun

:whistle:

Altair 4
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 1
2020 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 2

Hey Vstar650CL,

So here are some questions about the 3 cylinder turbo engine, coming from someone who has driven a 2003 VW 1.8T for 193,000 miles.

1) How is the turbo cooled? I live at the top of a long hill and if I pop the hood on a dark night after pulling in, I can literally see the turbo glowing red. I typically let it run at least two minutes to cool down prior to shutting it down to prevent coking the oil.
2) Do you think I'll need the same procedure with the VC engine?
3) VW spec'ed 0W-40 synthetic. What oil will the VC require?
4) What oil change interval will it have?
5) What octane is the engine tuned for? Regular 87? My old VW can run on 87, but recommended premium (at least 91).

I realize that a 2003 is (almost) an antique and engine design has come a long way in that time. Just wondering about the details of this engine.

Thanks for your thoughts on the topic. I am really intrigued by the VC!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

We don't have SM's yet and I only got a quick look at the one the DTS was driving, but I'd imagine much of the external hardware will follow the KR20 from the Altima. The KR20 has an intercooler with pretty good capacity, I personally haven't seen any cherry-red turbos even after a thrashing. Not that a cool-down isn't a good idea anyway after a thrash, that's true for any turbo if you want it to live a long and happy life. The KR20's run fine on 87 but output more HP on premium (that's one of the real beauties of VC). The KR20 oil is 5W30 and I'd imagine the 3-banger will follow the pattern. Oil changes are up to you, Nissan keeps pushing the limits but that's driven by reducing the official cost of ownership and not what's best for the engine. Personally, I think pushing any turbo past 4K miles on blended or 7.5K on full synthetic is plain nuts. The oil may not break down, but that won't stop blowby-pollution from thinning it, which is anathema to turbo bearings spinning at 100K RPM. If you were my customer I'd recommend 3K or 6K respectively and forget what's "recommended".

Altair 4

I hear you on letting things cool down after a hard run. I followed VW's spec on oil and change intervals (5,000 miles or 6 months) like it was a religious text.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

For what its worth I had a turbo timer on my SR20 DET red top in my 240SX back in the day.
Was running Valvoline SynPower 5w-40 in winter and Mobil 1 15w-50 in summer.
Turbo never developed any issues despite me over boosting it (to 13 or 14 psi) and driving like a maniac much of the time.

casperfun

:shifter:

datechboss101

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:53 am
datechboss101 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:22 am
Most of the car pundits disagree with you, and so do I. Car and Driver ranked the '21 Rogue 9th in their "overall desirability" ratings, mostly due to sluggish performance compared to all of its primary competitors. For the most part, the industry reviews reflect, "competent but unexciting." Not exactly sales-boosting stuff. You're of course entitled to your personal feelings, but the realities of the car market show that most people want something else.
Vstar--- I might be in the minority here. But that QR is perfect once again, due to the power:weight. Any more horses thrown into a Rogue, there is a higher chance of negative issues. I realized how the Rogue has a perfect balance after driving a behemoth of a Honda. And the average owner of a Rogue wouldn't give a dang as long it doesn't break down or have issues from A to B.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If reliability is the only standard, then, hmmm.... no, some other people here will kill me if I recommend swapping to a Cummins 4BT and a Muncie rock crusher. :crazy:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Okay, okay. If you can fit one in a Prius, the Rogue should have more than enough room...

MultipleNissans
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SL

Does anyone know if ALL Rogues will get the 3 banger in 2022 ?
Equally, will that be the engine in the North American / Canada markets ??

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I don't know for certain, but based on what I've heard from upstairs, I believe the turbo-triple will be the only powerplant for both US and Canada. Mexico may be different.

tedc
Car: 2023 Nissan Rogue SV
2021 Nissan Sentra SV

Nissan dealership has asked several times if I would be interested in selling my 2018 Rogue. My response has not changed,"call me when the 2022 Rogues arrive". Looking forward to a test drive with the new turbo and the improved CVT (ratios and responsiveness). Expecting the turbo to be the only option in the US. MPG gets a nice bump. Local auto show is just a few weeks away.

MultipleNissans

I have now had 8 Nissan products with the 2.5 L engine, X-trails, Rogues & several Altimas.

I've also had several Nissan products with lesser engines - 2 Versa Notes, & several Sentras, one with a 2.0 L which was my very first Nissan & 2 others with the 1.8 L engines (as best I remember )....

I was frankly surprised at how well the lesser engines performed even without a turbo. The Sentras & the Versa Notes were quite nice to drive & use as a second vehicle.

As I've aged, we've reverted to just one vehicle & drive much less these days - my 2018 Rogue SL Premium has only about 30,500 kilometres on the clock.

The next vehicle which I get will probably be a keeper & my last one. More probably than not, I'll have another Rogue as I was impressed with the changes they made to the 2021 model (except for the electronic shifter) but I'd be quite happy to have a more modern engine this time around.

That being said, I might wait another year to see how the 3 banger performs, what issues arise & let other folks sort out the bugs...

Cheers to all from Paradise, NL, Canada = Roger

MultipleNissans

Here's a link to a site showing the actual production / assembly line for the new engine being made in Tennessee - the video is about 10 minutes - the first 3:43 are about the engine and the balance shows the vehicle going thru the assembly line for the exterior / interior / & finished product.
Hope I can post the link because I've never done that before....Cheers

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

2022 Nissan Rogue features all-new, more powerful and fuel efficient 1.5-liter VC-Turbo engine on all models

For 2022, Nissan is making its best-selling model more powerful, more fuel-efficient and more fun to drive with an all-new, 1.5-liter variable compression (VC) Turbo engine across the Rogue lineup.

Mated with a responsive new transmission, the 2022 Rogue delivers improved power, best-in-class gas-engine fuel economy, most standard torque of any gas engine in its class and more thrilling driving experience. Rogue also maintains the most standard safety technology in its class for 20223.

The new powertrain delivers 201 horsepower and 225 lb-ft of torque – an increase of 11 percent and 24 percent respectively versus the 2021 Rogue. Even with the increased power, the 2022 Rogue’s estimated fuel economy is 33 mpg combined, an increase of 3 mpg over the 2021 model.

Nissan Motor Company pioneered the variable compression engine with the introduction of the 2.0-liter VC-Turbo 4-cylinder in the 2019 INFINITI QX50the 2019 Nissan Altima. More than 20 years in development, the VC-Turbo system continuously adjusts its compression ratio to optimize power and efficiency through use of a breakthrough advanced multi-link system.

The advanced VC-Turbo’s high/low compression ratio technology creates two different driving profiles – dynamic performance and eco/efficient, each seamlessly available on driver demand. The new powertrain provides strong, confident acceleration from a start, when passing other vehicles or when entering a highway.

VC-Turbo technologies have evolved for the 2022 Rogue’s 1.5-liter VC-Turbo 3-cylinder, with a focus on improving performance in three areas: acceleration, fuel economy and emissions. A new high-pressure fuel injection system helps enhance acceleration, as does the stainless mirror-bore cylinder-wall coating. New textured valve lifters reduce friction and improve overall engine efficiency while a vacuum low-pressure die-cast cylinder head improves engine cooling. In addition, the 2022 Rogue features a new engine mounting system that uses two lower torque rods to enhance engine vibration isolation with high torque support.

With a 17 percent wider gear ratio coverage and 32 percent lower friction (than the previous transmission), the new Xtronic transmission also drives better acceleration feel and enhanced fuel economy in the 2022 Rogue.

New transmission technologies include a twin oil pump system and newly developed control valve system. The twin oil pump system combines a small mechanical pump (with small oil flow) for slow shifting between low and high ratios, while the second electric oil pump (with larger oil flow) provides quicker shifting for hard driving situations.

More details: 2022 Nissan Rogue Press Kit

Briguy1027

Sounds quite interesting Rogue One. I can't wait to see and read up on some reviews and test drives of the new engine!

MultipleNissans

Thank you Rogue One for the elaborate & informative expansion on this topic.
It is quite helpful for anyone considering the next Rogue with the new engine.

Having read that I thought I just might not wait the additional year for the bugs to be worked out.

However, that being said, and given the history of Nissan's CVT issues, I am a tad concerned about what appear to be the "major" changes that they have made to the CVT with the twin pumps & control valve system.

The CVT was indeed in need of some changes / modifications & it appears that they moved in that direction with the 2021 model year.
What you have reported on here appear to be "major" changes which leaves one to wonder "did they get it right" or are we headed down a blind alley again with the CVT ......only time will tell.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

My understanding is that the new tranny will use a belt similar to the 6-cyl CVT's. Those have a much larger cross-section and heftier construction than the "snake" belts used in the previous 4-cyl iterations, and are most of the reason the 6-cyl versions will tolerate a lot more abuse than the 4-cyl's. That belt upgrade alone should represent a huge improvement.

Altair 4

With the variable compression system, does fuel octane come into the equation? In other words, does higher octane allow more compression and/or more performance?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Altair 4 wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:52 am
With the variable compression system, does fuel octane come into the equation? In other words, does higher octane allow more compression and/or more performance?
Yes. The ECM will adapt to what you feed it and produce more HP from better fuel. The VC Altimas already do that (both turbo and NA versions) and I can tell you it works very well.

tedc
Car: 2023 Nissan Rogue SV
2021 Nissan Sentra SV

Downloaded the 2022 Rogue Brochure. While the new engine and revised CVT look very promising, Not happy with the changes to the base SV model (actually a carry over from the 2021) vs. my 2018 base SV model. Nissan dropped standard roof rails, motion rear power lift, front heated seats and leather steering wheel. Even if you add the extra SV premium package for $2660, you end up with fake leather seats, fake leather steering wheel and a power rear lift without motion control. Not really interested in a powered moon roof. The SL is a non-started for me with 19" wheels (tires very expensive to replace with a harsher ride). When I start adding in all the extras to try in match what I have today, other SUVs become more appealing. I'll test drive a base SV and maybe the new engine/CVT will win me over.

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Pretty much why I didn’t buy the 21 when they came out and kept our 18. I’d have had to pay for a bunch of crap I could care less about to have the same features her midnight sv came with. I’m at 50k on it now and minus a recall for the safety system, it’s ran like a Swiss watch and routinely pulls 32 mpg on long trips loaded down. Plus, at least to me, the 21s looked like every other suv in the Meijer parking lot.

Return to “Rogue Forum”