2021 Wiring and Grounding Help

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
keslorthian
Car: 2021 Nissan Rogue SL

Hey folks,

I have got a new 2021 Rogue SL and have installed a new dashcam for it as I am paranoid AF. I bought a hardwire kit for the cam and ran the cable to the fuse box under the driver seat. The neat thing about this is that the power connector plugs into any fuse spot I want it to, and then I just need to tie in the ground. I've got the fuse in a spot that has constant power (forget off the top of my head which one) but there doesn't seem to be a grounding spot around near the fuse box. I thought the metal chassis the box is on would suffice, but I'm not getting power to the cam.

Currently, I still have it plugged into the ciglighter, but I just had the windshield get damaged while it was parked and have no footage of what happened. So now I wanna get this fixed asap, or find something else that can record what happens when parked.

Has anyone had any success in finding a ground spot near the fuse box? Without taking the dash apart I might add? LoL

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Just find any screw, nut, or bolt sticking out somewhere. That's what I did, dashcam been working smoothly for years ever since while using my fuse box. Very surprised you can't find anything.

Keep looking. :stickhit:

I do use a cigarette lighter for my rear cam tho. :cry:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

casperfun wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:10 pm
Just find any screw, nut, or bolt sticking out somewhere. That's what I did, dashcam been working smoothly for years ever since while using my fuse box. Very surprised you can't find anything.
Yep, all the main grounds for the interior are on the big steel crossmember behind the dashboard, so anything attached to that or to the firewall will be a solid ground. That includes the frames for the HVAC, steering wheel, and brake pedal, along with any other metal that descends from the crossmember. If nothing else, the HVAC frame should be easy to access by popping the panel next to the driver's right foot.

meder24
Car: 2021 Nissan Rogue Platinum AWD

I will have to look later when my wife gets home with the Rogue, but I found a ground very close to the fusebox. I used my multimeter to find the ground while getting power from the fusebox.
I will try to snap a photo as well.

meder24
Car: 2021 Nissan Rogue Platinum AWD

See the attached photo. I used the screw directly below the fuse box as my ground.
FB.jpg

casperfun

Any pics of your set-up. Dashcam used. Etc.
That interests me. I have an old 1080p, how’s the 4K these days? Or your parking mode. :cool:

Windshield damage is either a jealous bitter person seeing your new car, weather related, or stone from some lawn mower; since you weren’t present.

If your really paranoid, not that I am, get a Dashcam recording sticker placed in the rear. You can get them off eBay. 99% of the time, most will keep their distance especially at a stoplight. Of course 1% of the time there will on rare occasions be that tail-gating douche bag no matter. Unsurprisingly, many are in good driving behavior when they see the sticker. I never had a rear bumper accident in 12 years. Probably because of the rear tube, in addition to the dash cam I installed 4-5 years ago.

I don’t do parking mode since I don’t street park much. I have more close calls street driving with all the crazy drivers out there. :ohno:

firebirdude
Car: 2021 Rogue Platinum Blue/Black

I bought the Viofo 4k dashcam at the end of January.
https://www.adorama.com/vfa129prog.html
It goes on sale for ~$169 pretty often. Got the rear cam too. Zero complaints!

casperfun

Yah, I got the older version. If mine ever breaks, I probably end up getting the latest version. :mike

Return to “Rogue Forum”