2021 Rogue Platinum Missing Standard Interior Accent Lighting

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
jroymd
Car: 2018 Rogue SL AWD
2021 Rogue Platinum AWD
2017 Infiniti Q60

I recently purchased the Platinum version of the 2021 Rogue. In the official Nissan Rogue brochure it is stated (in several places) that the Platinum level Rogue is built with the "Interior Accent Lighting" as standard equipment. The accent lighting provides low level illumination to the front and rear footwells in the car's interior. The lighting control dial is always located in the center console storage box. Although it is not a lifesaving addition, but it is a significant convenience. I have had this system installed in two Infiniti's and one 2018 Rogue. I was pleased to see the Interior Accent Lighting system was supposedly standard equipment on the 2021 Platinum Rogues. Unfortunately when I received the vehicle the lighting system was not present. When the dealer questioned the Nissan Customer Service representative, they told him the Interior Accent Lighting is standard on the Platinum Rogue but it is not the same as Interior Accent Lighting listed in the accessories section of the Nissan Brochure. They stated the Interior Accent Lighting is really the single LED light in the lower console storage area plus the little LED strips on the doors.

Maybe I don't understand the vehicle nomenclature system, but how can the "Interior Accent Lighting" not be the same as the "Interior Accent Lighting?" The dealer has tried to purchase the Interior Accent Lighting system from Nissan (part # T99F3-6RR0A), but the Nissan parts replacement division cancelled my order because the kit is on "restrictive distribution" whatever that means.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Good news! As one of the first people on this board to own a 2021 Rogue, you get to discover all the quirks, problems, etc. before anyone else.

I wouldn't describe this as a problem, per se. It's more of a poor choice in labeling.

BTW, part number T99F3-6RR0A may need part number T99F6-4RA0A for installation.

Try these online retailers:
https://www.factorynissanpartsonline.co ... t99f36rr0a

https://www.cheapernissanparts.com/oem- ... t99f36rr0a

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If you check out a base model, you'll find it missing the accents on the doors. The accessory version is different (more like mood lighting, and I wish they'd call it that to clarify), so the dealer wasn't lying. Yes, be sure to get an accessory connector if doing the mood lights DIY. They can be wired without one, but the instructions won't tell you how.

NMD
Car: 2021 Rogue Platinum AWD
2011 Sentra SR
2022 VW Jetta SE (wife's car, please don't hate)

The online configure tool clearly shows this as an optional extra even on the Platinum trim level. I guess the brochure couldn't follow the changes in the Party line.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

NMD wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:56 pm
The online configure tool clearly shows this as an optional extra even on the Platinum trim level. I guess the brochure couldn't follow the changes in the Party line.
:rotfl

jroymd
2021 Rogue Platinum AWD
2017 Infiniti Q60

I agree that the on-line build feature lists the Interior Accent Lighting as an accessory, but how does the prospective buyer know whether the on-line build app or the official Nissan Rogue brochure is correct? The dealer didn't know which was correct. If you download the on-line version of the Nissan Rogue brochure, you will see the Interior Accent Lighting listed on page 8 (Platinum Additional Standard Equipment) and page 10 (Specifications for Platinum Trim Level) illustrate the inclusion of the Interior Accent Lighting in the Platinum Trim level.

https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/N ... ure-en.pdf

I tried to eliminate any possibility of errors by attempting to order the car as I had done several times in the past, but the dealer was reluctant to do this for reasons which I do not understand. At least the dealer is trying to correct the problem by adding the Interior Accent Lighting option post-delivery, except for the problem mentioned previously where Nissan won't allow the Interior Accent Lighting kit to be purchased. I'll contact the two alternative sites as suggested by the moderator.

Again, it is not a life-saving accessory, but it is a $350 "convenience feature," which I believe is already rolled in to the price of the Platinum Trim option.

NMD
Car: 2021 Rogue Platinum AWD
2011 Sentra SR
2022 VW Jetta SE (wife's car, please don't hate)

Yes, looks like they made a last minute change after the brochure has gone out to print. And even though it's only a .pdf, it's still copyrighted (in this case 2020), so it may take awhile to change that.
I am at a loss why Nissan won't allow a post-delivery purchase. It doesn't make any sense.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

2021 Nissan Rogue Accessories Overview
Discover how you can customize your 2021 Rogue to be as unique as you, with parts and accessories like roof racks, rims, wheels, headlights and more.

Learn more about Genuine Nissan Accessories for your Nissan Rogue here: https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/cros ... parts.html
Screenshot_2021-01-16 2021 Nissan Rogue Accessories Parts Nissan USA.png

jroymd
2021 Rogue Platinum AWD
2017 Infiniti Q60

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, if the dealer is very reluctant to order a vehicle for you, then it is a little hard to add factory installed options. Again, the accessory which I wanted is listed in two separate places in the Nissan Rogue Brochure as standard equipment on the Platinum level Rogue. I have been in contact with Nissan Customer Service three times about the lack of this feature. They still insist that the Platinum included "Interior Accent Lighting" is not the same as the accessory "Interior Accent Lighting." I think if they maintain that ridiculous position, then they should strongly consider renaming the accessory something else like "Real Interior Accent Lighting that is not the fake Interior Accent Lighting that was listed twice in the Official Nissan Rogue brochure." The Nissan customer service call number only routes you to low level people in the company that apparently cannot make any decisions and only tell you things like "Nissan doesn't agree with your assessment" and "We are sorry you feel that way." It doesn't sound like they will budge and admit their obvious mistake.

Seriously, would anyone order a $350 accessory on their new $56,000 vehicle (including extra charges and plans) if the brochure states that it is already on the car? What if you specifically ordered an AWD Rogue and a two-wheel drive Rogue was delivered, and the company's response was "Well, you didn't order the AWD accessory to your AWD Rogue."

TonyJG
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima SL Silver
2021 Nissan Rogue Platinum Pearl White/Black

I agree with the original post. I assumed as well when I was making my PLatinum purchase that the accent lighting would be as shown in the listed accessories. I made the point with my dealership that the brochure indicated accent lighting as standard and since the accessory is also indicated as interior accent lighting I was expecting that is what was to be included on the vehicle. To my surprise that wasn't the case and I was kind of po'd with that. I indicated to the dealer that both what was indicated in the brochure and listed in the accessory page were both called the exact same thing and any reasonable person would come to the same conclusion. The dealer agreed with my reasoning but that was it. They suggested calling Nissan customer service but we all know where that would lead. As with the OP it is not something I really need and can't live without but I feel that I paid for it . I am thinking about taking the matter to small claims court but with the crazy environment we are living in these days I don't know if I want to be bothered. I think if you presented a judge the Nissan brochure and the page showing the accessory and a description of what they include in that accessory I am confident that you would get a favorable ruling. In my opinion this issue is false advertising or bait and switch at best. If Nissan didn't want to provide the same thing in the vehicle that they describe as interior accent lighting in the accessory page they should have called the accessory something else. If they had called the accessory mood lighting instead of interior accent lighting then that would have been totally different but since they chose the same term for both they should live up to what they say the vehicle includes and either install the proper feature or provide a cash credit in lieu for the value of the feature we have been deprived of. Pulling something like this is not a good way for Nissan to gain consumer confidence in their products. Just my 2 cents.

jroymd
2021 Rogue Platinum AWD
2017 Infiniti Q60

Finally, someone else agrees.

So, the saga has continued since last we left. I had my local Nissan dealership agree to have the Interior accent lighting installed at half the total price (parts & labor). Remember that the factory installed price was $350, which I thought I had already paid with the $56,000 Platinum level Rogue AWD purchase. The total installed price was (hold on to your hat) $736.11, for which I was responsible for $352.50. The latter amount is approximately the price of the accessory if the vehicle was ordered with the lighting kit installed at the factory, which I maintain should have been installed in the first place. Again, the dealer was reluctant to order the vehicle like I usually do at the Infiniti dealer, which last time I looked was a subsidiary of the same parent company. So it seems as though I have paid for the same "Interior Accent Lighting" twice. Now, I am currently in negotiations with Nissan about reimbursement for the $352.50, frankly Nissan Motor Corporation and my local Nissan dealer has been very gracious about dealing with this "accessory descriptive language problem," although I am not really sure if neither the vehicle manufacturer nor the dealer agree than the lighting system should be part of the package, even though it is stated twice in the brochure. They keep telling me that I just don't understand that "Interior Accent Lighting" is not the same as "Interior Accent Lighting" like in my last three Nissan and Infiniti vehicles.

I guess by this time people might be wondering why I am wasting my time on this relatively minor accessory. Well, sometimes you want what you want, rather than having big companies tell you what you want.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

jroymd wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:14 pm
They keep telling me that I just don't understand that "Interior Accent Lighting" is not the same as "Interior Accent Lighting" like in my last three Nissan and Infiniti vehicles.
They clearly screwed up with the language, and since it's obviously misleading people they should fix it. If some complaints like yours impel corporate to fix it in a hurry, you deserve an attaboy.

4grandgirls
Car: 2021 Nissan Rogue Platinum

I too bought the 2021 Rogue Platinum and noticed no footwell or under seat accent lighting. So I bought the kit (T99F3-6RR0A) on line from Zeigler Nissan in Orland along with the adapter (T99F6-4RA0A). I installed it AND it is so dim that even at night when you open the door you have to search for them. So either the kit is not for the 2021 and only for the 2020 or the instructions are wrong. I just installed it, so I am calling their tech to check it out. As it stands now, it's NOT worth the price!
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TYPO

jroymd
2021 Rogue Platinum AWD
2017 Infiniti Q60

I had the same part numbered interior accent lighting installed, and the illumination level is similar to my other Rogue (2018) and my two Infiniti vehicles. The lighting is not visible during the daytime, but quite visible at night . I do not have the 2021 car with me at the moment, but I thought the newer interior accent lighting for the Rogue allowed you to change the LED color as well as the intensity (HI/LOW). Also, I think the brochure is wrong again about when the lights are activated. I don't know why they state "Works with the vehicle's interior lighting when the door is open." I have three other Nissan products and the interior accent lighting is on ALL THE TIME when the motor is running. Why would anyone pay for interior accent lighting that was only on when you open the door? "The part numbers you listed appear to be correct. The older Rogues use a different part number. Is there any other accessory wired in series with the accent lighting that steals some of the voltage such as illuminated door sills?

Frzninvt
Car: 2021 AWD Rogue SL w/Premium Package
Champagne Silver

Even more misrepresentation the 2021 Rogue brochure states that the SL Premium Package includes the fully digital dashboard only to browse the lot and find out that is not true.

4grandgirls
Car: 2021 Nissan Rogue Platinum

I wrote an article on march 21 about the accent lighting in my 2021 rogue an said how dim it was . So I contacted Nissan consumers affairs talked to an agent and I was told to bring it to the dealers service dept. to see if I installed it correctly . And I did and the service dealer told me to put two together but then I would have to spend another $200 dollars . Got in touch with the consumers affairs agent and she said I'M SORRY BUT THERES NOTHING I CAN DO. So if anybody interest in better accent lighting go on line to Shein an order the 4m piece car interior led light kit with remote control . it worked off the lighter bot with a little work it can be connected to the interior wiring and work good and it changes color .

jroymd
2021 Rogue Platinum AWD
2017 Infiniti Q60

I guess it depends upon how bright you want the interior accent lighting. I have four Nissan vehicles (2 Infiniti, 2 Nissan Rogues) all with interior accent lighting and all about the same accent lighting luminosity level. The interior accent lighting is most obvious in the footwells (if that's the correct term) but really only visible at night. I believe they are meant to be fairly dim so as not to impair your nighttime visual acuity. If it was really bright, it would be distracting and possibly be considered a driving hazard. I can only assume there is some NTSA regulation governing the interior light intensity levels above which would violate driver safety regulations. Anyway, the only reason I purchased the option was so that I could see small objects that I dropped at night, such as pocket change or McDonald's fries. I think the picture of the interior accent lighting (in the Nissan brochure) over-emphasized the lighting to make a better picture.

firebirdude
Car: 2021 Rogue Platinum Blue/Black

jroymd wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:14 pm
with the $56,000 Platinum level Rogue AWD purchase.
Holy $#!&. How the heck did you spend that on a 21 AWD Platinum Rogue?!

FWIW, mine came with the illuminated kick panels in the door sill area and also the color-changing lights in the footwells. As you said, the adjustment is in the center console.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

firebirdude wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:08 pm
FWIW, mine came with the illuminated kick panels in the door sill area and also the color-changing lights in the footwells. As you said, the adjustment is in the center console.
Those are both accessories, installed either at the port by Nissan factory installers or by the dealership. If you lift one of the kick panels you'll find the interfaces.

firebirdude
Car: 2021 Rogue Platinum Blue/Black

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:14 pm
firebirdude wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:08 pm
Those are both accessories, installed either at the port by Nissan factory installers or by the dealership. If you lift one of the kick panels you'll find the interfaces.
Cool. Mine were definitely installed outside the dealership because I bought it right off the truck! It was on their property about 2hrs. They had to peel off all the white protective plastic right before I signed the paperwork. :biggrin:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Definitely a port job, then. The port installers are uniformly pretty good and generally go by the book. That should be the case with all installs, but of course some dealers are better than others about QC/QA. So "off the truck" is the best possible situation. :biggrin:

twong26
Car: 2021 Nissan Rogue

There are a few people at fault here. Nissan should not be naming 2 different accessories with the same name. Yes, the Platinum trim does come with interior accent lighting, but it is only the white light and cannot be controlled. There is an additional accessory called interior accent lighting, which adds 20+ colors with a control in the center storage in the armrest.

When I went to purchase my Rogue Platinum, I was arguing with the salesperson because he said the Platinum included interior accent lighting and frameless rearview mirror. However, I have been researching on the 2021 Rogue since it was first announced in 2020 and followed all the news and updates since then. Sadly, NONE of the salespeople really know their products that well. We as consumers need to do our own homework and tell them off.

Return to “Rogue Forum”