2020 Warranty Repair

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Library
Car: 2020 Nissan Rogue SL

Recently purchased a 2020 Rogue SL with ~20,000 miles from a company that bought it from Enterprise when they sold a fleet of their used vehicles.
I am the second owner (first private owner) with Enterprise obviously being the first.
Right after purchasing the car, I noticed when exiting a driveway (steep or shallow), the sonar acts crazy and the AEB is triggered 1-2 times in the rear and 1 time in the front.
Having just owned a 2019 Rogue SL with the same trim that didn't have these issues, I knew something was up with this vehicle.
Took it to a dealership to have them fix it under warranty.
Turns out, while a rental car under Enterprise it was involved in a minor accident in the rear. They pulled up this information on it that I didn't know about.
Doing a little of my own research - Apparently, Enterprise has their service agreement with Service King and clearly they did a crap job repairing the bumper, which is most likely the reason for these electrical issues since it contains many of these sensors/housing.

The dealer argues that because it was in a wreck they can't claim it under warranty.
Do I have any leg to stand on to defend that it should be fixed under warranty?

Doing a little more research, it appears that it isn't the wreck itself that would disqualify it for warranty repair, but rather, having the car previously fixed at a non-dealership and it not being repaired correctly. Is this true?

Thanks for any help.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I'm no expert on the legalities of warranty, but generally an accident will void the warranty for any parts directly or indirectly affected by the crash. In this case, since the rear sonar was obviously involved, this would also void the warranty for all the connected driver assistance systems, ADAS, ADAS2, Radar, Lane and Side/Rear Cameras, etc. I'd imagine you do have a good leg to stand on to sue either the dealer who sold it to you or Enterprise, depending on whether Enterprise disclosed it to them. To my understanding, you're legally entitled to full disclosure of known defects in all 50 states. If Enterprise did make proper disclosure, then the dealer defrauded you and I'd approach them with an "or else" about an immediate buyback.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Once I read Enterprise, the first thing that came to mind is accident before I read it down later in your post.

I think that is the reason you never should buy from rental car places because their customers don't give a darn about those cars.

I read it somewhere or recently saw something on youtube about this. :gotme

Seriously doubt the dealership will fix it. If anybody is to blame, it's Service King for not fixing it correctly. :slap:

Also Enterprise may have not known it was still broken since they were getting it repaired.

Library
Car: 2020 Nissan Rogue SL

Thanks for the feedback.

Conveniently, my dad is a lawyer who runs his own law firm and has dealt with similar cases, so we will be threatening to sue once we ascertain negligence on part of Enterprise or the dealer as we were not informed of these issues before purchase.

Needless to say, the situation will be fixed one way or another as most people sober up pretty quick once a letter from a law firm shows up. :)

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Whoever you gave your money to and whoever gave you the keys, your gripe is with them.

They got your money.

You should have tested the sonar in a parking lot.

I never liked that extra technology they put in modern vehicles.

Ever since I drove a loaner Lexus 350, I definitely hated the emergency braking crap.

When backing from my driveway, if a car was passing by in the rear, it would automatically slam the brakes and give you whiplash. Even though you see the car coming while backing up, SLAM BAM, your brakes go!

Noooo not a gradually brake a person would normally do, but more of a stomping emergency brake maneuver that was jarring as hell.

So, yah I never like any sonar, radar, lidar, crap handling the brake for me.

It’s stupid, I don’t want anybody who is not paying attention or can’t brake correctly behind the wheel anyway.

Don’t forget the carjacker who is waiting behind you working in cahoots with your emergency brakes, bye, bye, life, limbs, or your car! :nono:

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

100% agree with casper. Some of the nannies are not worth owning, and I certainly wouldn't pay extra for them.

Yep, buying a former rental is drama waiting to happen. I'd go STRAIGHT to returning the car, no repair needed, and shame on them for not disclosing past issues. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen if they even hesitate.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The dealer situation isn't as clear-cut as that, Casper. Even CPO cars only get checked to a certain extent unless there's reason to suspect a particular problem. Techs can't spend all day checking every function against the OM and SM, it would drive the price of a used car up by $1000 and more. If the dealer knew about the prior repair then it's on him, because his techs should've been clued-in. On the other hand, if Enterprise didn't divulge the prior repair, or if they or Service King deliberately hid the repair from CarFax, then you can't reasonably hold the dealer responsible. The OP said it happens on hills and slopes, and I have yet to meet a dealer service bay with "tilt and drive" capability. They probably just missed it.

Return to “Rogue Forum”