2020 Rogue - AEB (Automatic Emergency Braking) ?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Z-Knight

Has anyone experienced problems with the AEB on their 2020 Rogue? There were problems, apparently, for the 2019, 2018, 2017 models that Nissan has been hiding and underreporting.

In my case, I had 2 instances of the AEB light (in the speedometer panel) blinking on/off repeatedly - no braking. I took it in to dealer and they say they can't reproduce and they dont see any codes. Well, I showed them video of the blinking and I am pissed that this crap car doesn't record codes or wipes them when you turn the car off, because I definitely had blinking of the light.

Now I am super scared about driving this car - I feel like I am taking chances with my life because I don't trust Nissan, nor do I trust this system not braking suddenly when I'm on the highway and causing me to crashed into and killed. Anyone know how I can get a refund on this car? I have not even had my first oil change yet.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Z-Knight wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:43 pm
Has anyone experienced problems with the AEB on their 2020 Rogue? There were problems, apparently, for the 2019, 2018, 2017 models that Nissan has been hiding and underreporting.

In my case, I had 2 instances of the AEB light (in the speedometer panel) blinking on/off repeatedly - no braking. I took it in to dealer and they say they can't reproduce and they dont see any codes. Well, I showed them video of the blinking and I am pissed that this crap car doesn't record codes or wipes them when you turn the car off, because I definitely had blinking of the light.

Now I am super scared about driving this car - I feel like I am taking chances with my life because I don't trust Nissan, nor do I trust this system not braking suddenly when I'm on the highway and causing me to crashed into and killed. Anyone know how I can get a refund on this car? I have not even had my first oil change yet.
I was in your boat and still am to this day with our 2019 Rogue. I almost crashed our 19 at one week ownership because the dang sensor didn't detect any objects unless I'm about to plow through them. If it wasn't for our insurance, our Rogue would constantly have issues with the AEB (FEB) system. You can still drive your Rouge, but you have to turn off the system everytime you start the vehicle.

Refund-- how many days have you owned the vehicle? More likely depending on your vehicle specs, you will be taking a loss, if its past the return period. The other option is more expensive, but you'd still take a loss, and that route is lemon law.

Z-Knight

in my case the light just blinked (twice this happened) and nothing else occurred, no braking, nothing. Not that I expected it because the road was clear. The dealer said they got no codes and could not reproduce. THey said the warning light (looks like two crashing cars) to the right of the needle on the right gauge, represents and error in the system - not that it will engage the braking effect. And it could have been caused by debris over the windshield camera, etc. But they sent me a nissan protocol for this scenario and nothing in the protocol leads to a camera replacement. THey also said the light being on would indicate the system is off, not that it is braking. The braking system would show up in the center window (between the speedometer and rev gauges) and that would light up yellow to warn and red and brake if you didn't take action. So as of now I'm led to believe that the sensor had issue but not that the braking system was going to engage.

I'm 2 months into owning the car.

Z-Knight

BTW, I'm in Texas .... Texas lemon laws say if they can't fix a safety system within 2 attempts in 2 years or 24000 miles (I think) then it falls under lemon laws. If that is the case, there are 3 options: they fix or replace the system, replace the car for equivalent or refund of all monies including taxes, title, fees minus fair use charges.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Z-Knight wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:41 pm
BTW, I'm in Texas .... Texas lemon laws say if they can't fix a safety system within 2 attempts in 2 years or 24000 miles (I think) then it falls under lemon laws. If that is the case, there are 3 options: they fix or replace the system, replace the car for equivalent or refund of all monies including taxes, title, fees minus fair use charges.
Bring back the Rogue to the service department, and tell them to replace the system UNDER WARRANTY. Also, just mention you will file for lemon law if they won't fix it under-warranty since this is a "safety" issue. Also, inform the heads in corporate Nissan USA to so you can cover your end of things, prior to filing lemon law.

Roguenewbie
Car: 2020 Nissan Rogue SL

So I was just reading all the posts here regarding this and then checked the Nissan user videos - very easy to turn it off so isn't that the simple "fix" for this issue ?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

A solid AEB lamp is a malfunction for sure, but someone in Sales or Service should've told you a blinking one has nothing whatsoever to do with the brakes or radar. It's the lane camera above the rearview causing it, a blinkie means it's obstructed (or thinks it is). The cause can be as simple as a bug-splat in the wrong spot, and it won't throw any codes. However, we've seen several instances where the cameras overheated and thought they were obstructed even though there was no obstruction. If you're getting this chronically, reach up and feel the cover atop the rearview when it misbehaves. If it feels very warm to the touch, get the dealer to change out your lane cam. Make sure you mention that it gets hot during the episodes, it will make it much easier for them to diagnose and warranty the part.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - There's been a Nissan TSB about lane cameras and blinking AEB/FEB since May of '18, but it applies as far back as '15 on some models. Rogue is one of them.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Roguenewbie wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:18 pm
So I was just reading all the posts here regarding this and then checked the Nissan user videos - very easy to turn it off so isn't that the simple "fix" for this issue ?
No, because the system resets back to ON when you shut off the vehicle. You would need to turn it OFF every time you start your car.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Whoops. Delete this. :facepalm:
Last edited by casperfun on Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No, Casper, this is forward braking. Whole 'nother animal from RAB!

techwizard09
Car: 2020 Nissan Rogue

I have this problem with my 2020. First it started to blink with nothing at all in the road -- on and off as I continued to drive. When I got home and started the car again the blinking was gone and didn't come back on for an entire week or so. Then all of sudden instead of a blink, the car says there's a malfunction and starts making beeping noises. Pulled over and shut the car off and turned it back on and the error went away. Brought it to the dealer but they said they can't reproduce the problem so there's nothing for them to do. Two weeks go by and the malfunction shows back up. Went back to the dealer and there was no malfunction on the screen, but they said the computer showed there was an active problem -- so they replaced a part. Week goes by and the malfunction comes back, bring it to the dealer and they say they can't recreate the problem so there's nothing for them to do.

Is there a time frame of how long a 'malfunction' information sits in the computer before it is wiped? And how am I supposed to get this properly fixed if, like others have said, you shut the car off and turn it back on and the error goes away?
Last edited by Rogue One on Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TYPO

Frzninvt
Car: 2021 AWD Rogue SL w/Premium Package
Champagne Silver

The camera is very sensitive. Are you keeping that area of the windshield clean and free of debris? Same goes for the front mounted sensor behind the Nissan logo. Mine seems very sensitive to frost, morning dew and the front sensor can't see when covered with ice or snow. I did take my 2018 in to be re-calibrated and adjusted and have not really had issues since, until the winter months.

Makes you wonder if Nissan Engineers thoroughly thought about winter climates in their design since it basically disables the system. I have the same issue with the LED headlights, they do not generate enough heat to melt accumulating ice and snow which is a safety issue.

I am not a big fan of all the nanny features anyway, people become too reliant on them and forget how to drive properly.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Frzninvt wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:46 am
The camera is very sensitive are you keeping that area of the windshield clean and free of debris? Same goes for the front mounted sensor behind the Nissan logo. Mine seems very sensitive to frost, morning dew and the front sensor can't see when covered with ice or snow. I did take my 2018 in to be recalibrated and adjusted and have not really had issues since until the winter months.
Absolutely right. As mentioned, even a bug-splat in the wrong place can seriously compromise the lane cam. Also, the lane cam is the only thing that will cause a blinking lamp. The radar will cause a solid lamp with an obstruction message, and there will be a "past" DTC if checked with a scanner. Lane cam blockages leave no codes or evidence. If you keep a clean windshield and still get repeated blinkies, give your lane cam the feel test for overheating. I wouldn't call it a common issue, but we've certainly seen it more than once.

techwizard09

With my situation, I only have gotten that blinking lamp once. I am now only getting a warning on my dashboard that says malfunction - two different ones (one for the lane camera and one for the front sensor). I keep my windshield and the front sensor clean. There also are no devices next to the lane camera (no toll pass, no dashcam, nothing). All occurrences so far of it going off have been on days the weather has been perfectly fine. As soon as I shut the car off and put it back on the malfunction will go away and come back a few days later.

They replaced my lane camera because they said one time the code was active. But even after replacing that camera, it is still acting up.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Frankly, that sounds more like a radar issue than the lane cam. Have they tried a recalibration of the front radar?

techwizard09

They haven’t tried anything with the front radar. I asked them if they looked at that system and they said when scanning the car it only showed that the system had a past code for the radar. They just clear the code and it doesn't come back on and say I am good. The only active code that they saw was the lane camera – so they replaced that part. I don’t know how to get them to look further into the system to see what’s going on. Because they told me they only go by the codes the car shows as active.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Well, from the sound of things they'll almost certainly find a C1A16 code (blockage) in the Radar. This code will come-and-go whenever there's a blockage, temporary or otherwise. The radar should be inspected for a bent/damaged bracket and water/environment intrusion into the grille badge (the radar is directly behind the badge, so water will compromise or blind it). If no damage/misalignment is found, they should try a recalibration.

techwizard09

They checked the front end for any damage because that was their first thought -- they said if they found any damage it would void all warranty claims. The car is only a few months old and hardly any miles on it. They didn't find any damage or liquid at the front sensor. All the times the malfunction came on for the system have been on nice days with no obstructions to the sensor or camera.

Since they won't actually diagnose the front sensor, I don't even know how I can get them to do a re calibration. I pleaded with them that since they changed the camera which didn't solve the problem they should check the other areas of the system. They denied doing that saying it has to show a active code and only then they will actually do something.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

C1A16 from a balky Radar will virtually always be "past" when the key is first turned on, the only way to obtain a "current" one is to catch it "in the act" and then print the code sheet before the key is cycled. Factory miscalibration is rare but can happen, and since it's a "no parts" repair, I'm surprised the dealer hasn't already done it. Try a different dealer if possible, or take it upstairs to Nissan Consumer Affairs. Since a re-cal only costs labor, if you make noise, there shouldn't be much resistance from CA to pre-approving one.

Roguenewbie
Car: 2020 Nissan Rogue SL

Rogue One wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:42 pm
Roguenewbie wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:18 pm
No, because the system resets back to ON when you shut off the vehicle. You would need to turn it OFF every time you start your car.
Thx so much - yes, my wife found that in the owner's manual - so have to turn off each time = errrr...

I was reading the complaints about this on various websites and can see it is being pushed to become a recall (so all fixed for free) but Nissan is thus far successfully fending that off. Actually I hope it does go to recall, I think that would be good for everybody, including the Nissan brand and the Rogue specifically.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There actually was a recall already on the Rogues from '18 down, involving repro of the Radar and ADAS. The '19~'20's will already have it, and we've seen very few issues on vehicles with the updated firmware. I think techwizard09's car most likely has a miscalibration issue or simply a bad radar, but it isn't representative.

dickzbo
Car: rogue

adas

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

ADAS = Advanced Driver Assistance System. Everything Nissan that has a radar also has an ADAS Controller.

Z-Knight

I can't believe I'm screwed with this vehicle for probably 9 or 10 more years - I hate this car. I will never buy another Nissan again and tell all my family and friends to never buy them. I've yet to have an oil change on this car (only at 4400 miles so far) and I already had at least 6 times the warning light turn on for the braking system being down - the last 2 days it has happened each day. I've had my car radio refuse to turn off when I turned the car off - apparently some genius tech installed the theft system wrong (plugged something in wrong) - really!?!?! Then my front brakes would make popping noises on braking - they said my calipers needed to be tightened - umm, what?? On a brand new car! And now I also have popping coming from right front tire area on some turns - what a piece of crap car. I swear I got a damn lemon, but I also think this is Nissan cars in general - pieces of junk.

techwizard09

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:34 am
There actually was a recall already on the Rogues from '18 down, involving repro of the Radar and ADAS. The '19~'20's will already have it, and we've seen very few issues on vehicles with the updated firmware. I think techwizard09's car most likely has a miscalibration issue or simply a bad radar, but it isn't representative.
If I was having a miscalibration or a bad radar would that throw a code for the Lane Keep Assist camera also? I thought when they changed out the camera that they needed to calibrate the entire system anyway.

Also do you know how long the code for these systems actually stay as "active"? Because, the warning disappears when I shut the car off and comes back on randomly. I only got, I guess you can say lucky when they ran a scan and saw the code as active once. They are telling me if I bring the car back again and they see the code as past they will charge me a service fee.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The radars usually throw a "blockage" code that disappears when the key is cycled (meaning it goes "past" and doesn't turn on the light. There will still be a code, just not "current"). The way around this with the dealer is to get it to do it, then don't let anyone turn the car off until they're done scanning it. Lane cam miscalibration won't always leave evidence because the cam may not be able to recognize its own problem, it just thinks it's blocked.

techwizard09

Sorry I don't think I was wording my question properly. What I was asking are the two systems linked together (the radar and lane camera); and if so would they throw malfunctions if one of them reports a problem? Because every time I ever had these malfunctions pop-up on the dash it showed both systems.

The dealership said to me that they can only fix problems based on codes. They will not do any additional work and the code has to be active. Only one time was a code active (which was for the lane camera) and they replaced that part. I asked them if they looked at the radar and they said no; because it was a past code at that time. Since this malfunction is random it is incredibly hard to reproduce the problem. Also trying to keep the car on while the problem exists and getting an appointment to come in is even harder. The best is the dealership now informed me that any time I bring my car in for this same problem (even though them changing a part wasn't the answer to the problem) that if they can't get a code active anytime my car is in the shop they will charge me a diagnose fee.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

They're being awfully ticky about it, considering the car is still under warranty and a radar recal is probably all that's needed. To answer the specifics, yes, the "detection" systems are all interconnected through the ADAS Controller and generally a fault in any one detector will cause the controller to disable multiple functions, ICC, BSW, LDW, etc. For an active code in the Radar (generally C1A16, radar obstructed) they shouldn't need an appointment for you, they can easily scan it in the driveway and then schedule an appointment for later repair. If they're demanding an appointment just to look at it, you should find another dealer. There's no excuse for that.

Vis the Radar, keep in mind that conditions matter. The front radars (and optical systems as well) will often false in rainy or snowy conditions (particularly fine rain or foggy rain,) or if you happen to catch a big bug splat or tar blob in the wrong spot. That will cause a C1A16 in the Radar, but it won't really be the Radar's fault. None of the ADAS safety systems are particularly suited for bad-weather operation, and that isn't Nissan's ADAS's, it's everybody's. I always hit the "off" button for my Altima's BSW/LDW as soon as I turn on my wipers, because I know it won't function reliably in the rain.

techwizard09

That's what I thought with everything being linked together - and why I am angry that they didn't check the entire system with them changing a part on the car that didn't fix the issue and its in the shop more then 3 times. I told them (and they know) that the code won't stay active but they keep saying once it shows call up, make an appointment. The last appointment they said Nissan Specialist they called said as long as they clear any past codes and it doesn't show back up again then theres nothing for them to do.

So far with all the times the car malfunctioned was with no environmental factors at all. Mostly all driving has been on streets (not highway). I was once actually got into my car in a parking lot, made a phone call and after a few minutes the car malfunctioned. Got out of my car looked at the sensor, cameras, and there was nothing. I shut my car off, turned it back on and waited a few minutes (did everything I did the first time) and the car was fine for about week or so.

Return to “Rogue Forum”