2020 Nissan Rogue Brakes & Noise Question

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
rougeavenger
Car: Nissan Rogue

Hi All,

I am new Nissan owner and I purchased Nissan Rogue 2020 CPO vehicle from the dealer which had less than 5k miles, This was one of loaner vehicle. After driving 1k miles I think there are two issues that needs to be addressed:

1. While driving 70+ MPH if the break's are applied, the car doesn't stop right away. It stops after 10 to 15 feet. Previously I was driving BMW 335i, it was stopping right away. not sure if this is the standard across all Nissan Rogue or if my car has issues?
2. I am experiencing the noise from drivers rear side window. Also lots of tire noise and road noise in the highway mainly appears after 60+ Mph speed.

The car still has 30+ months of Basic warranty and 7 years of CPO warranty. I have scheduled appointment with the one of dealer for service.

Anything else that I need to ask specifically?, Does the above problem covers under warranty? Please advise.
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TYPO

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not understanding where you're getting at. :confused:

I don't usually brake at 70mph to stop right away. But if I did, I'm sure I be stopping after a few hundred feet, and during a emergency maneuver would have made a skid mark way longer than 15 ft. Perhaps you meant slowing down, and brakes having a more instantaneous feel in that BMW. Again luxury vs. cheap CUV.

As per BMW's own website...Experience the performance, luxury, and innovation of the Ultimate Driving......while umMm, Nissan was bought by Renault and the former CEO was jailed and escaped justice in a Cello case so craftsmanship went into the crapper in recent years, therefore you get what you paid for. :slap:

Remember Nissan was once known as Datsun and crappy CVT's.

Don't even ask YouTube star Scotty Kilmer how he feels. :bowrofl:

Road noise sucks for the Nissan Rogue, it's a cheap car, get a Lexus or Infiniti if you want a quiet ride. And oh yeah or BMW. :woot:

Hence, I seriously doubt the dealership will do anything but suggest you get a more expensive car for a more tranquil ride or a sports car for that type of stopping power. On top of them just treating you like some sort of "Karen" and their normal we can't duplicate the problem or it's normal for this car mumbo jumbo. :poke:

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

rougeavenger wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:07 pm
Hi All,

I am new Nissan owner and I purchased Nissan Rogue 2020 CPO vehicle from the dealer which had less than 5k miles, This was one of loaner vehicle. After driving 1k miles I think there are two issues that needs to be addressed:

1. While driving 70+ MPH if the break's are applied, the car doesn't stop right away. It stops after 10 to 15 feet. Previously I was driving BMW 335i, it was stopping right away. not sure if this is the standard across all Nissan Rogue or if my car has issues?
2. I am experiencing the noise from drivers rear side window. Also lots of tire noise and road noise in the highway mainly appears after 60+ Mph speed.

The car still has 30+ months of Basic warranty and 7 years of CPO warranty. I have scheduled appointment with the one of dealer for service.

Anything else that I need to ask specifically?, Does the above problem covers under warranty? Please advise.
Why did you downgrade from a BMW to a Nissan in the first place?

You must be living in a dream thinking an econobox like the Rogue will stop immediately with shoddy brakes :rotfl . My 2016 Rogue got wrecked because of these crappy brakes. Your best bet is to get rid of it and either go back to BMW or get a Honda/Toyota.

Also, quality went way below rock bottom for the 2019 and 2020 Model years. In-addition, you may have to get a legal team to make Nissan to warranty ANYTHING! Tire noise comes due to the crappy cheapo tires that Nissan slapped on from the 2019 MY. Never had this issue on my Dunlops on the 2016, and that was super quiet.

Now, lets address your issues, that you deem should be warrantied (but pretty sure Nissan will charge you):
1) Crappy brakes; these ain't no carbon ceramics or brembos
2) Most likely faulty weather stripping. Please record a video and upload it here so we can better understand what you mean.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

datechboss101 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:04 am
Most Nissan brake pads are high quality organics and actually pretty good. The basic braking system on the Rogue hasn't changed in ages, the problem is it's gotten 150 lbs heavier since it was introduced in '14. Stopping distance has gone from 118' to 132' in consequence.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:31 am
datechboss101 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:04 am
Most Nissan brake pads are high quality organics and actually pretty good. The basic braking system on the Rogue hasn't changed in ages, the problem is it's gotten 150 lbs heavier since it was introduced in '14. Stopping distance has gone from 118' to 132' in consequence.
That's interesting. During the 1 week time frame between replacing the pads and rotors, I've noticed my 2016 not stopping its normal distance during that time frame. I am believing its the pads and rotors itself that the stealership installed.

What materials are used in the cheapo edition of their pads and rotors?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The rotors are pretty standard stuff, you can definitely improve brake performance by going aftermarket. Anytime you get new pads or rotors the two surfaces need to get used to one another, and until they do you'll see some slightly-reduced braking performance. With organics or metallics, the two surfaces are actually micro-polishing one another and it takes a little time for that to happen. Ceramics are a whole 'nother story, they actually permanently melt a microscopic layer of ceramic material onto the rotor. That's why ceramics don't necessarily need rotor-cutting to change pads, and also why you should never swap from ceramic to something else without doing at least a thin "glamour cut" on the rotors.

rougeavenger
Car: Nissan Rogue

Thanks for all the reply, I agree I should not compare but coming from BMW I am going through the transition phase and learning things on how to drive CVT, maintain CVT etc. I had 80k + miles of BMW and it has all sort of issues with Turbo Engine, Oil leaks, Coolant leaks, sensor fails, drive belt failure etc. It was getting really expensive to maintain, So had to sell that off.
I managed to get Nissan Rogue $20k OTD which still had 30+ month original warranty and followed by CPO warranty. For similar price I would get Toyota RAV4 with more 40K-60k miles and no original warranty. So went with Nissan Rogue thinking it was good value for the money that I paid.

I will try to get the video and upload it here.

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

My 2018 rogue has akebono calipers so I’d hardly call the whole system bad. My rotors have managed to stay true with my wife using it as her daily drive, that never happens. Even at 40k the pads have over 50% left. I will be swapping the rotors and brakes to Wagner oex in the next few months. I had them on my Chevy impala and they’re fantastic. If not wagner I’d have went with Bosch quietcast all around. The Wagner’s are coated and offer a rotor with the hats painted black which will go well with the midnight edition.

Return to “Rogue Forum”