2019 Rogue Engine Block Corrosion on Aluminum

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
AbHat
Car: 2019 Nissan Rouge SV

I have a 2019 Rogue with 25K Miles on it. I see some dust on Aluminum parts which appears to be corrosion. I tried wiping it with a Microfiber cloth but its pretty tough. I read some where that Aluminum corrodes very quickly forming Aluminum Oxide layer which is tough and quite protective. I am thinking its nothing to worry about and leave it as is. Any thoughts?

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Don’t let the ocd kick in, it’s no big deal.

Yes, I wish my engine bay looked perfect, but thru the years I had some unsightly corrosion on the heat shield.

Bothered me at first, but I come to accept it.

But the rogue still runs great after over a decade.

I did recently painted a portion of it black to make it look better though.

Some rogues look unsightly with a lot of rust on the underbody.

My new front rotors got rust corrosion that I am slowly accepting in addition to haven’t new wheels on stand by that will cover them anyway.

It is what it is, on top of Nissan lowering craftsmanship in recent years, this is the least of your problems.

I wouldn’t be too worried about it, honestly.

After your first dent by some uncaring douchebag at a parking lot, you will not care about a little corrosion. :poke:

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Someone in a Go Karts forum recommended using Easy Off Oven Cleaner, which may work for them, but is definitely not something you should spray into an engine bay. Most discussions I've found on cleaning affected engines is for those that are engines that are not installed, so using a chemical cleaner is less of an issue in those scenarios.
It's aluminum salts, which are a corrosion byproduct. And yes, just moisture will do this. Metal polish will remove this, but the problem is that usually those engine castings have an "as-cast" appearance, and the metal polish will give them a "polished" appearance, which means you have to polish every part of it for a uniform appearance...which can be a huge/impossible job. There is probably some microscopic pitting associated with the corrosion.

I'm not sure if there is a good chemical way to remove the "fluffy" salts, which would return the aluminum to it's natural appearance; most aluminum treatments are chromium-acid based. You might try a marine supply store, which may have the pre-treatment used before chromatic conversion coating of aluminum, that might take it off.
Aluminum "passivizes" which is why water doesn't corrode it. Passivization is where aluminum covers itself in a thin layer of oxide that will not react with the hydrogen to create water in which creates rust. The white spots of powder on you casing is actually a clump of oxide.....just Scotch-Brite to remove and you can get a "pickling" solution in which when applied to a area removes the old gunk and oxy layer and allows for a new one....but pickling jelly is evil!!! Don't get it anywhere because its essentially an acid. We use it to remove the heat rash on stainless.

Return to “Rogue Forum”