2019 Rogue AWD strange noise from up front

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
zedjr10
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue AWD

Symptoms of Car
1. Makes a loud hummin noise above 40 mph. It does this no matter if you are in neutral, d or manually changing gears.
2. started 2 months ago suddenly and hasn't gotten any better or worst sounding.
3. We had it up on all 4's and it isn't any suspension items rubbing or tires rubbing anything.
4. while on all 4's it does it while wheel is turned to left or right
5. while driving on street it is worse once wheel starts to be turned to left and above 40mph, but doesn't make this much louder sound turning wheel to right. It stays the same as wheel is turned straight.
6. There is no noise below 35 to 40mph.
7. Noise is coming from center of car. We can hear it from inside of car much easier than outside.
8. This noise happens if car is in neutral or in drive, as long as u are going 40 or more mph
9. It is not a wheel hub assembly, knuckle, rotor, brake or outer axle issue as we don't hear or see anything from entire knuckle assemblies.

Possibilities
1. Inner cv axle issue - Most likely issue IMO as i understand there are moving stresses on both sides of axle as wheel is turned in and out.
2. transmission issue where final tranny gearing goes on to axle.
3. VCS/traction and all wheel drive control issue.
4. Ubolt connecting issue on transmission. I doubt it as i can see it sinning freely and it is just a u bolt with no adjusting stresses when wheel is turned left.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Did you check the knuckles with a stethoscope? Subtle clicking is all you'll usually get from a bad bearing on a lift, even if it's making God's own racket on the highway. That's because they get flat-spotted and only get loud when loaded. Your symptoms are classic wheel bearing, so I'd check them again and listen closely with a steth. Any noise other than a white-noise whisper is a bad bearing.

zedjr10
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue AWD

It is not a bearing

PowerslavePA
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD w/Platinum

My transmission hums at 65, it is light, just barely audible.
Transmission whirs at idle to 1500 RPM, sounds like an older Ford Power Steering Pump,
and in or out of gear.

Suspension would only cause a hum if it altered tire geometry to
ride an inner or outer edge.

You should NEVER coast the car over 40MPH in Neutral, you can
make the problem worse.

The CVT is notorious for humming noises.

FastEddy
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV

Possible transmission pilot shaft bearing at the back of the trans where it joins the driveshaft.

HANGER BEARING?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yes and yes, but those don't usually change pitch when you turn. Have you used a stethoscope? If not, for the sake of $7 you're just choking your own chicken.
https://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics ... 63691.html

PowerslavePA
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD w/Platinum

FastEddy wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:00 pm
Possible transmission pilot shaft bearing at the back of the trans where it joins the driveshaft.

HANGER BEARING?
CARRIER Bearing:
With the exception, they're not replaceable on this car.

MrX.
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

wheel bearings. Mine had no symptoms while on the lift as well, so much so that I mistook it being a bad FL wheel bearing, but ended up being the RL. Stethoscope sounds like a good idea.

Return to “Rogue Forum”