2019 Rogue AWD SL Liftgate Problem

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
l0rdjenkins
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

So my liftgate will operate normally going up, but will not go back down no matter what button I use on the car. The remote, the back buttons, the interior button. I've tried disconnecting the car completely overnight, and that did nothing.

2 things that were occurring when it stopped working, I was installing my trailer hitch myself, the door kept going up and down. In hindsight...I probably should have disconnected the battery. But I didn't think about it. But one of the times it did, I had something in the way and needed to stop the door to prevent it from hitting something i had set there thanks to the automatic liftgate. Did this trigger some sort of fault?

Is there any way of resetting it that I'm not finding?

First Nissan I've owned and I've repaired all my other cars, and this just has me at a bit of a head scratcher

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

You could try this, but from your description you may have really screwed it up.

How to Reset Nissan Rogue Liftgate Trunk Back Door:

Time needed: 3 minutes.

If you have any issue with the Liftgate / Trunk Door and want to reset it, you can be set to open to a specific height by performing the following:

1. Open the liftgate using the switch or the Intelligent Key.
  2. Pull the liftgate down to the desired position and hold the liftgate (the liftgate will have some resistance when being manually adjusted).
  3. While holding the liftgate in position, press and hold the liftgate switch located on the liftgate until 3 beeps are heard.
  4. The liftgate will open to the selected position setting.

digorf
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

My 2014 rogue sl liftgate had this problem. Liftgate open with remote fob or power button, but will not close. Remote or buttons don't make it go down. Only way, was to grab the hatch, bring it down manually. It will close and lock this way.
What worked for me after many other suggestions was:
1) TURN THE POWER LIFTGATE BUTTON OFF (by the steering column, left, close to your knee). 2) MANUALLY open and then MANUALLY close the liftgate, using the rubber button under the hatch. 3) MANUALLY open the liftgate again. 4) With the liftgate all the way open, press and hold the power liftgate button (on the liftgate itself) until you hear 2 beeps. 5) At this point, Turn the power-lift gate ON (by the steering column). Should start to open and close with remote, like it did with my rogue
I hope this will do the trick

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

digorf wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:01 pm
My 2014 rogue sl liftgate had this problem. Liftgate open with remote fob or power button, but will not close. Remote or buttons don't make it go down. Only way, was to grab the hatch, bring it down manually. It will close and lock this way.
What worked for me after many other suggestions was:
1) TURN THE POWER LIFTGATE BUTTON OFF (by the steering column, left, close to your knee). 2) MANUALLY open and then MANUALLY close the liftgate, using the rubber button under the hatch. 3) MANUALLY open the liftgate again. 4) With the liftgate all the way open, press and hold the power liftgate button (on the liftgate itself) until you hear 2 beeps. 5) At this point, Turn the power-lift gate ON (by the steering column). Should start to open and close with remote, like it did with my rogue
Yep, that will reset almost all late model Nissan ABD's. You shouldn't need to kill the main power switch in most instances, though. Generally just manually opening the hatch, holding the button till it beeps, then manually closing the hatch is all that's required.

digorf
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

It did not work for me just pressing 'till it beeps. This just adjusted how far you want the hatch to open. Worked when I followed these steps above.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Hm, good to know. I've always done it with the hatch fully open to reset, but the firmware may well function differently if the hatch is short of the stop. Calsonic doesn't usually tell us lowly techs (or even Nissan engineering) exactly what goes on in the minds of their silicon wunderkind. Or it might be the '14 is different, it was the first year of the gen2 and they tweaked a lot of things the following year. I'll do some experiments on some lot cars and see if I can find out.

Return to “Rogue Forum”