2018 Versa 5-speed manual throttle delay, happened suddenly

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Rdsrds123
Car: 2018 Nissan Versa

Well being old and growing up in an era of carburators, computer control has gotten me again.

2018 Versa stick shift, 56,000 miles. I changed the battery yesterday, and had it disconnected for two hours while I cleaned the battery tray. I restarted the vehicle when fixed but did not drive it. Today, I immediately knew something was wrong, even from the first shift when cold. Dash shows no codes.

Upon starting from a dead stop the throttle seems to have a delay. It makes driving this manual transmission difficult. Something is wrong, but I don't know what it is. Googling and looking at YouTube, I see this car has an electric throttle body, and I suspect somehow this is the problem. Videos all tell of a re-learning procedure for new replacement ETBs, but can this existing part need a re-learn? What else could be the problem. I suspect this is a common problem in newer cars. Thanks!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I'd clean your MAF before trying anything else, and check your airbox for debris.

Rdsrds123

Cleaning the throttle body is standard procedure when searching for solutions, but I think the answer is different here. I bought this car new, and the engine has always run flawlessly every mile. The throttle delay happened suddenly, yesterday, when I disconnected the battery. I removed the battery tray and cleaned the tray and tray area. It dried out for more than an hour, and I started the engine briefly to make sure it would start, then shut it down.

Today it has the delayed throttle problem. Since the throttle and gas pedal are computer controlled, I think the sudden problem is electric or perhaps I bumped a hose or wire when the battery was removed? Totally unexpected problem. I think the need for the throttle body cleaning would make itself known gradually? Not that cleaning it would not be good for it. I don't really want to creat a second problem by damaging that somehow before I get the delay problem fixed.

Rdsrds123

I'll pop open the air box tomorrow and take a look. Filter is almost new. That might give me some access to view behind the ETB. Thanks!

Rdsrds123

Could this be a blown fuse? Perhaps there are some codes to discover that do not cause the check engine light to come on? I'll look into that tomorrow. I would think a shorted component would throw a code.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The MAF is on the airbox and not the Throttle Body, right behind your repair area. Even a piece of lint or butterfly wing will cause very bad behavior, because Nissans for the most part have no MAP to cross-check the MAF. The ECM simply has to trust it. When it lies, bad things happen.

Rdsrds123

Yes, I know where the MAF is located. I suspect a different issue though. Very ODD.

2019Versafan
Car: 2019 Versa S

Changing your battery shouldn't cause this. I've owned a 2012 Versa and now I own a 2019 Versa. Both have had their batteries changed with no issues. You might check to see if your Nissan powertrain warranty is still in effect. I think it's 5 years or 60,000 miles which ever comes first. If your powertrain warranty is still in effect, I would suggest taking it to Nissan for a diagnosis. Maybe their code readers could pick up the issue. If the powertrain warranty is no longer in effect, I would recommend purchasing the Haynes manual for the Versa. They're not that expensive and can be found online.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”