2018 Rogue SV - First time buyer!

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
beigmatt
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV

Hi there guys. I am writing in regards to my 3rd car purchase. I have previously owned 3 Chevy Equinox's, the newest was a 2012.

I recently purchased a 2018 Nissan Rogue SV (VIN #: KNMAT2MV7JP549846). It was used as a rental for 11 months, I got a great deal on it.

I love the car and the CVT transmission in it. The 170hp/tq engine has more power then I've had in any Equinox, and I don't think its "lethargic" as people say. You are still accelerating very quickly the CVT just makes it much smoother IMO.

Anyways, I am about 4000 miles into owning it. I bought it with 18k. What are some precautionary measures I should be taking aside from general maintenance to make this car last as long as possible? How often should I be replacing the CVT Transmission fluid? The owners manual suggests every ~60k or if you tow, inspect for possibly sooner. I have heard of the steel belts and misc parts failing anywhere from 100k-150k miles, Is there anything extra I should be doing to help avoid this and extend the life of the CVT?

I wanted to reach out to the community and see what information you guys have on these Rogue's. I want to treat this car properly.

Some questions I personally have is:
Does enabling/disabling engine braking have any long term life effect on the CVT?
Does driving in ECO mode put extra strain on the CVT, engine (higher loads), or emissions equipment (cat, etc)?
Any input from some smart guys or previous rogue owners is appreciated :)

Thanks.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

I changed my CVT fluid at 58k miles, due to me getting new tires at that mileage (had a nail in one of the OEM tires at 52k). Change Brake fluids ever 20k, I went 48k before my first brake fluid change. Always, check on the CVT fluid color and levels, but typically a Drain and Fill of 6 quarts every 30k miles should be ideal, a flush is overkill. Belts and misc parts, I wouldn't change them till the 105k mile mark, but definately your rear brakes will go out first roughly about 50k miles. ECO mode doesn't do jack other than restricting the throttle response and same thing applies to Sport Mode, but the difference for sport mode and normal is minimal at best. If you wanna achieve the highest gas mileage (death to Prius, as these 2nd gen Rogues can achieve roughly 520 miles in a tank on 87 Octane), your best bet is to use Cruise Control and low a/c fan speed. I tried disabling Overdrive on my Rogue a few times, but the RPMS jumped by 1000 each time I did that, so I had to keep it on, but it might actually wear your brake pads a bit faster if you disable engine braking.

Also, shop around for the best service deals (dealers do put some great service deals, ask me cause I got many $8.88 oil changes and $19.99 oil changes at Nissan dealers).

Right now my Rogue has 88k miles on it, and its been trouble free for me, granted I drive it like a maniac while giving proper care for it too,

Return to “Rogue Forum”