2018 Rogue Sport Battery Problems

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
wingless
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue Sport

The battery on my year-old 2018 Rogue Sport failed, so the vehicle was brought to the dealership for a warranty replacement.

Easy repair, huh?

The vehicle has been presented to me four times as Service Complete already and is still NOT correct. It is a good thing that I'm in the 0.1% who inspects before / after service so I detected the problems.

Many of the failed completions are because the wrong battery was installed, preventing proper installation of the other parts.

It looks like the vehicle was built with the 24410-6MA0A battery. That battery is no longer available, showing as discontinued.

The vehicle was initially presented to me with the 999M1-NB35C, Group 35C battery. That battery is too tall. It is impossible to use the battery hold down and impossible to properly position the CAI intake plenum above the battery with that tall battery.

The dealership finally ordered / received / "installed" the 999M1-NBH5A battery. That battery has correct dimensions to fit the vehicle.

Now I'm awaiting the fifth service complete presentation, after they order / receive / install new 24427-DF30A hold down and the two 24425-DF30A hold down bolts that they lost since my vehicle was initially presented for service.

FWIW, Sears says this vehicle needs a Group 124R battery.

Grrr

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Holy crap.

Didn’t understand 1 thing u said.

No wonder the Nissan ceo was jailed.

Making car with a discontinued alien battery.

No cvt dipstick.

Nissan really does hope u only let dealership be the hands on to service their vehicles.

Come on.

I just go to advance auto and even install my newly purchased battery in my prehistoric rogue.
Wow.

wingless

wingless wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:03 am
The vehicle was initially presented to me with the 999M1-NB35C, Group 35C battery. That battery is too tall. It is impossible to use the battery hold down and impossible to properly position the CAI intake plenum above the battery with that tall battery.
After five times, the dealership finally presented the vehicle with a properly installed battery, now the proper size and retained in position by bolts and a strap, as-installed by the manufacturer and as initially presented to the dealership at the first service.

However, when the vehicle was inspected post service I discovered that the bottom of the large rectangular 16554-6MA1B air duct that covers the battery now has a hole punctured in the bottom, with a loose fragment now rattling around inside. That hole doesn't align with anything in the vehicle, but is close to aligning with the negative battery terminal wire lug bolt.

My conclusion is that the service technician applied downward force to that air duct, attempting to force it into position when the incorrect too-tall 999M1-NB35C, Group 35C battery was installed, causing that bolt to puncture the air duct.

Also, one of my missing (now replaced) battery hold down bolts was found loose in the engine compartment.

Now back to the dealership for service attempt six...

wingless

wingless wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:26 am
However, when the vehicle was inspected post service I discovered that the bottom of the large rectangular 16554-6MA1B air duct that covers the battery now has a hole punctured in the bottom, with a loose fragment now rattling around inside. That hole doesn't align with anything in the vehicle, but is close to aligning with the negative battery terminal wire lug bolt.
My over-a-month long ordeal to have the battery replaced is finally completed with acceptable condition.

The original (now damaged) air duct has been superseded with the 16554-6MA2B air duct. That new part doesn't have a clip on the air filter end. It instead has a hole for a reusable push-retention fastener, but the air filter box doesn't have that matching hole.

It took another week for the dealership and NISSAN to determine that a matching hole should be drilled in my air filter box so that new part would be compatible with my existing parts.

It is understood that problems and mistakes happen, it is how those issues are addressed that is important.

The point I find 100% unacceptable is that in EVERY INSTANCE the dealership Service Advisor and the dealership Service Director were completely apathetic about the problems, damage, absence of answering / returning my calls and absence of pushing this to completion.

If I were in-charge then I would ensure that parts / service would never use a part number that doesn't match for the vehicle. I would also ensure that car batteries are maintained in stock. The accumulation of extra parts at service completion is a big red unacceptable flag. The technician should also be trained to NOT conceal their damage and instead resolve it prior to returning to the customer and hoping it remains undetected. Parts for an out-of-service vehicle should be sent by Overnight, instead of over a week!

casperfun

Sounds like a crappy dealership.

Probably should leave this post into the feedback box of your particular dealership or change to a different one.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Several things to point out here.

One, around here the 'Rule of McDonald's' local myth covers much of that dealer behavior. It replaces the Peter Principle, and says that when you take the same people who could not make a quarter pounder burger 10 times correctly the same way each time and then let them get older to have risen into places of more power then you have an incompetent organization that then can only resort to excuses and outright lying in dealing with the public. The idiots don't get fired any longer, as the replacements cost even more and often are worse. So they rise even higher to do more damage.

Two, the battery companies in NO way will make every battery size out there and the OEMs use that to benefit, they then sell you a whopping expensive battery to fit the compartment made exclusively for that size battery alone. The aftermarket does not make every size as the inventory issues would bankrupt them. The OEM did the same here, they just discontinued the battery there. The aftermarket averages out the most common applications and the batteries then fit actually not many of the cars they claim to. Close but NOT exact. Been that way for 50 years. I for one haven't trusted battery size charts in years, and I used to change batteries for one of the chains, and did most in 5 minutes or less and not breaking anything or predicted and told customer ahead of time it would happen. Many OEM sizes are simply not made by the aftermarket and commonly the one they pick to work does not even fit. Point one above, the 'rule' applies to battery chart makers too.

Three, I have been (and still am) as obsessive/compulsive as this vehicle owner is and I understand thinking the world should work like he thinks but just take the suggestions if he worked there. He would be in big trouble instantly. You do NOT carry all batteries in inventory, the costs there are very high. It can be perfectly normal to have parts left over and even more on new models as parts modify all day long and there can be 5 parts that do the exact same thing and sometimes ALL will work. So, the exact part # thing is crap instantly, the OEM often has superceded parts listings by the time the car is on sale.

Workers trained to not hide defect? Refer back to point one, and good luck with that one, it won't happen. The dealers give the techs times to complete a job and commonly parts get broke achieving those times, many parts are NOT removed when they should be, you only push them out of the way and how stuff breaks. If not seen it is not necessary to fix, American capitalism at its' best. Worker hits his time and everybody is happy.

I used the think that OEM parts ONLY were IT, nothing else and give me the EXACT part ONLY, but time and working on hundreds if not thousands of cars taught me long ago that can easily be the worst thing to do. Part number variances don't mean spit if you can drill a hole or quickly cut off the end of say a bracket to fit and work perfectly. The vehicle running perfectly FAAAARR outweighs wanting any exact parts the same and Nissan only and how you save thousands in costs over the life of a vehicle. I for one junk OEM parts in a second and even on a 5 minute old brand new car, but then I pretty much know what I am doing. I commonly remove 5-10 parts under the hood of every new car I buy, they will be problem causers or affect maintenance greatly and are NOT needed at all.

Yes, it is reasonable to think that a new vehicle would have access to parts, but I remember new cars in the '80s that no parts were available for months on if not a year. Meanwhile the dealer has to do something.

More on point one.........I once checked out the 'rule' above with a simple study, that counted the number of times I got erroneous quarter pounders made.The only thing I changed on the order is to drop the catsup. I collected 35 times before I quit, the burger was made right some 3 times out of all that. No mustard, mayo added, all 3 on it, lettuce on it, tomato on it, both on it, once I didn't even get meat on it, the wrong combinations were endless. Just imagine that guy in a dealership, you are lucky if your car comes back with 4 wheels on it.

The hole in plastic part likely happened with slamming the hood and then nobody looks close as the hood DID close.

Be careful what you ask for with perfectionism in your veins, I have a situation in my dark background where a simple fuse 'cost' over $4000 in brand new car repair work. What the dealer will do when allowed to fully. BTDT, and it was ALL 100% bullsh-t.

Don't expect the service writers or any others in control of the shop to care anymore in a Trump world, alternative facts rule out any complaints you have. More rule of McDonald's.

Why NOBODY touches my cars but me, all that crap and frustration disappears forever. You now routinely pay for service you do NOT get and it's been that way for a good while now. Warranty work is on a level somewhat below that. They milk the invoices to charge the company more too and why the number of visits. On a brand new car likely every single time there was a fake invoice generated on extra warranty work 'done' that never got done. If you signed multiple times even more so.

casperfun

I actually enjoyed your piece and thanks for the effort in writing it.

Moreover, I must say you know what your doing; so that makes you an expert from my layman’s point of view.

I must also say that the only OEM part that Rogue owners need to always use if only, is when replacing CV axles because it seems non oem versions usually lead to problematic installs.

Hate to admit that I always have this untold fear on major repairs not getting fix right because of things getting pushed and moved around under time constraints to get it done. Nothing gets put back together to original specs.

And I breath a sigh of relief that everything is running smoothly. It’s best not knowing what is going on during repairs or my ocd would kick in worrying about things not being done right.

You also probably confirmed my belief that dealerships are more likely to rip you off more than showing integrity.

Like when the ball mechanism breaking off and not allowing the handle to open the door.

But the dealer instead told me it was the some electric actuator that would cost me $600 to repair without even looking inside the door.

And they couldn’t look inside because the child lock was engaged. So right off I had to use some plastic that I created to unlock it.

So no way they could even diagnose since it was never opened.

Surprise surprise, I just twisted the broken wires together like you do with a bag of slice bread.

And now my door opens and closes.

Dealerships are total crapshoots.

Fortunately, you can do most of the easy repairs on the 1st generation.

Lastly, that $hitty quarter pounder worker made it all the way up to become the CEO of Nissan since that French dude was arrested and jailed in Japan some time ago.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

You get the picture, and a sad one it is. I wish so much the world were not so, but being a pessimist has made me correct so much I get tired of 'all the winning'...........it is remarkable how now that once something has gone wrong they are always ready to tell you it is the highest priced part anywhere in that system that has to be changed so that they get max buck right off the get-go.

'Buyer beware' was never so important as it is now.

wingless

These images show the air box that was punctured by the negative battery terminal bolt, when attempting to be forced into position, when the wrong (too tall) battery was installed. The plastic fragment was rattling inside the air duct. The battery clamp bolt that was loose in the engine compartment is also shown.

The next image shows the final result, with the withheld battery blanket replaced, the withheld battery clamp parts replaced and the air duct replaced.

The last image shows the updated air duct retention. The original part used a molded latch. The new part uses a reusable push-retention fastener, after a hole is drilled in the air filter box plastic.

Return to “Rogue Forum”