2018 Rogue SL Platinum - ventilation

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Flashfox
Car: 2018 Rogue SL Platinum

The automatic AC always starts in recirculate mode, which I understand is normal. However, I expected it to switch to fresh air after a while, but it never does. I need to push the button to get it to bring in fresh air.

From the manual:
"In the AUTO mode, the intake air will be controlled automatically. When the outside temperature exceeds 70°F (21°C), the air conditioning system may default to air recirculation mode automatically to reduce overall power consumption. To exit air recirculation mode, select the fresh air intake button to enter fresh air mode."
This is what I have been doing.

This is where I am confused:
"To return to the automatic control mode if the fresh air indicator is illuminated, press and hold the fresh air intake button for about 2 seconds. The fresh air indicator and air recirculation indicator lights will flash twice, and then the intake air will be controlled automatically. To return to the automatic control mode if the air recirculation icon is illuminated, press and hold the air recirculation button for about 2 seconds. The air recirculation indicator and fresh air intake indicator lights will flash twice and the intake air will be controlled automatically".

My understanding is that the above will tell the automatic system to default to, or switch to the fresh air intake ... but it doesn't.

What am I missing here?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Flashfox wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:48 pm
My understanding is that the above will tell the automatic system to default to, or switch to the fresh air intake ... but it doesn't.
No, that tells it to return to making its own automatic decisions. When you touch the fan speed or mode controls the "Auto" light will go out and the system cedes control to you. On some models recirculation is exempt from that, on others it isn't. I'm not sure on the gen2 Rogue, but the Auto lamp will tell you, if it doesn't go out when you press the fresh/recirc button then the system treats it separately, and that's why there's a separate "return to Auto" command with the press-and-hold.

Flashfox
Car: 2018 Rogue SL Platinum

Hmm ... still a bit confusing. With AUTO ON, I can select RECIRC or FRESH and the AUTO light stays ON.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Then the HVAC is treating fresh/recirc as separate from the mode and fan speed controls. Short presses on the F/R button will toggle the recirc door and take it out of automatic control, pressing and holding will return it to automatic control. Returning it to Auto will cause a toggle of the recirc door only if the HVAC judges that it's in the wrong position. If the HVAC thinks the position is already correct, holding the button will do nothing.

Return to “Rogue Forum”