2018 Rogue SL - Auto-AC question

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Flashfox
Car: 2018 Rogue SL Platinum

As indicated in the manual, the auto-climate control starts in "recirculate" as the temp is over 70F. However, I don't see it switch to "external air" even when the temp is now to what's programmed.

Per the manual, you can push-and-hold the external air button till it flashes ... and here is where I am confused ... but it doesn't lock the system into external air. I need to manually switch it to external every time.

What am I missing regarding the instructions in the owner's manual?

What's the purpose of the "wait for it to flash" setting?

If the AC starts in recirculate mode should it not automatically revert to external air once the inside temp is stabilized?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Flashfox wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:08 pm
If the AC starts in recirculate mode should it not automatically revert to external air once the inside temp is stabilized?
AFAIK, all vehicles with AUTO A/C function this way. It's far easier (and efficient) for the unit to condition the cabin air without the addition of exterior hot/muggy air. What your trying to do is akin to leaving your home's front door open while cooling your home.

The simplest solution (but not the one you want to hear) is to not use the AUTO mode.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

I have my temp set at 60 degrees F and once in a while @ 68, and when in auto, it is automatically set to bring in fresh air, NOT recirculate, which is pointless, especially in Florida's weather. Your best case is to do it manually, as it will keep the inside air comfortable and will not have any humidity. And like RogueOne said, you are making it uneffective if the system is originally set on recirc. and then moving it to fresh air mode, as its going to make the system to work harder, which will eventually lead to a component failure in the future.

Flashfox

Thanks BUT my previous 2016 Rogue SL did NOT work like that. It only started in RECIRCULATE mode if it was too hot then it switched to outside air.

It's kind of funny as the manual doesn't recommend leaving it in RECIRCULATE but per your post, this is how it works in AUTO mode. As a matter of fact this is my first Nissan that works like this (had 2010 Rogue SL, 2013 Altima SL, 2016 Rogue SL among others over the years),

In any event "so be it". I switch it to OUTDOOR air once the inside temp is cool

Flashfox

datechboss101 --> Maybe I am missing something but your post seems to contradict itself. 1. You state that your system is set to AUTO and brings in fresh air and NOT recirculate the inside air. Then you say that this makes it ineffective??? I recently lived in Florida for 7 years and if I left the AC in recirculate it would fog-up the windows due to the high humidity.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

'I recently lived in Florida for 7 years and if I left the AC in recirculate it would fog-up the windows due to the high humidity.'

Recirc will do that as it gets the air much cooler than pulling outside air in, the difference in temperature on both sides of the glass is what condenses the water.

Pulling in outside air works the system much harder and much less efficient that way but very high humidity can force you to do that at times.

Here in Texas sometimes we get that much humidity, I run recirc only with zero outside air added maybe 90% of the time but at times you have to add a bit of outside to keep the glass clear.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Flashfox wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:31 pm
datechboss101 --> Maybe I am missing something but your post seems to contradict itself. 1. You state that your system is set to AUTO and brings in fresh air and NOT recirculate the inside air. Then you say that this makes it ineffective??? I recently lived in Florida for 7 years and if I left the AC in recirculate it would fog-up the windows due to the high humidity.
Let me clear up the mess... The auto feature puts the air in the fresh air mode not recirc, which makes it very useless for this type of weather/climate, since it will make the system to work out more than other climates due to the high amount of humidity.

I was initially having the windows fog up in the early mornings in my 99 Accord, but I figured that out by using windows down while driving the short 7 miles. I always have my Rogue's AC system set to lowest temp possible, AC on, and in recirc and I don't see that much fog. If I do see fog, I use the window defrost buttons and the wipers.

Flashfox

Hmm ... still confusing - The only reason why I started this post is to understand the following which is on page 4-39 of the user's manual:

"To manually control the intake air, press the air recirculation button or fresh air intake button. To return to the automatic control mode if the fresh air indicator is illuminated, press and hold the fresh air intake button for about 2 seconds. The fresh air indicator and air recirculation indicator lights will flash twice,and then the intake air will be controlled automatically. To return to the automatic control mode if the air recirculation icon is illuminated, press and hold the air recirculation button for about 2 seconds ..."

What the purpose of that adjustment/setting?

Does it force outside air while in recirculate mode?

Flashfox

Looking back at my last post ... can someone explain to me how what's described on page 4-49 of the user's manual actually works?

- When the inside temp is over 70F, the system starts in RECIRCULATE mode.

- The system never switches to OUTSIDE air, even when the temp reaches the preset. It stays in RECIRCULATE and the air becomes stale.

- I don't mind starting in RECIRCULATE mode. But I expect the system to switch to OUTSIDE when the preset temp is reached.

BTW, I am no longer in Florida but in San Diego, where it's much drier and less hot.

Note that my 2016 Rogue SL did NOT work like this. It switched to OUTSIDE at a certain point. This 2018 SL doesn't.

I thought that the instructions on page 4-49 lets you set the mode you want to prioritize ... but it doesn't (I don't see any differences so I have no clue what it does). So I must not understand what they are trying to explain.

Return to “Rogue Forum”