2018 Rogue AWD Hi Temp, How to turn AWD off?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Carlsbad
Car: Infiniti QX4 2003

So I had a pretty bad day yesterday...started when I broke 4 ribs in a bike crash last week, but that's for another forum...

So on the way to work I got a flat. Changed to spare. Front tire (this turned out to be important). Spare looked fine but afterward I checked the pressure and it was 34 vs sidewall number of 60 (also important).

Made it to work. Left work in warmer afternoon and drove about 60 for 5 miles and got "AWD HIGH TEMP. STOP VEHICLE". I stopped. Looked under car and saw stream of fluid. Got back in and called Nissan Service for a tow. Turned out it was air conditioner condensate and I was jumped to conclusion it was ATF. Sore ribs kept me from better checking this out.

Tow truck took 4 hours (ridiculous, but this isn't a rant). In the hours that I was waiting I googled the alarm and found people get it when AWD comes on at highway speeds because spare is smaller, especially if pressure is low. The AWD interprets the different size tires as slippage and comes on when it shouldn't.

So here is my question: Is there a fuse I can pull or a wire I can put a switch in to disable the AWD when using the spare? This is a design issue but I don't expect Nissan to fix it so I'm looking to fix it myself. I'm sure there are members who are familiar with the electrcal system that can help me here.

I also considered getting a full size spare. But I don't think the Bose subwoofer would fit in a normal wheel. It is custom designed to fit in this wheel. Also, I've read that even with uneven tread wear this can be a problem so even with a full size spare, if tread depth is different on the R and L, AWD will come on.

So I'm willing to listen to suggestions but a way to turn AWD off would be best in my mind.

--Jerry

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

I did a site wide search and didn't find any posts where anyone had done this, and I think I know why.
It could cause all sorts of problems with the VDC (traction control system). If your front tires slip on a puddle, or wet roads, and the system attempts to activate the differential clutch -> to engage the differential -> to engage AWD = and nothing happens -> the sensor detect mixed/wrong signals = you could end up getting a 50% cut in engine power to stop the car.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I actually took my spare out and stuck it in the garage recently. Never needed it for over a decade owning my rogue. But I’ve been lucky I guess with the tpms warning light before going full flat.

Other then getting a roof basket and hauling a full size tire, another option is getting a triple A membership to come to the rescue whenever you have a flat tire instead of carrying a spare.

They really reliable and show up pretty fast.

Or

Crappy run flat tires.

Or

Tire slim. But can ruin tires.

Carlsbad
Car: Infiniti QX4 2003

Thanks for the replies....so turning off the AWD isn't an option...

A full size tire will fit in the tire well ( I think) . I put the full size tire in there but didn't put the cover on it. I'd have to try to make an adapter for the bose subwoofer--maybe out of foam.

Perhaps if the spare were fully inflated it would have been ok. So thinking I would check the spare every time I air the tires I noticed that the valve stem has to be stored on the bottom to accomodate the subwoofer...another crappy design. So to check the spare pressure you have to remove the rear floor panel, the subfloor panel, the subwoofer, and then turn the tire over....

Here in So Cal seems I get too many flats, probably because we are always constructing. 3/4 of them are a nail that stays in place making a slow leak and I just fix it without even taking the spare out. But 2 flats in the last 3 years have required the spare (the other one was on my Hyundai sante fe). The first one was a screw that didn't seal the hole and air leaked out too fast to drive home. This one was some fairly large item that punctured, then was thrown out making a good noise against the wheel well. Tire went flat in 5 sec or less.

Now I replaced the battery and the rear hatch won't close. Headed off to do a search on that. If I keep having problems the solution will be to get rid of it.

--Jerry

Return to “Rogue Forum”