2018 Nissan Rogue Tailgate / Liftgate drooping

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
regnar
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue

Hi!

The (power) tailgate our 2018 Nissan Rogue with 38,000 miles (that we have had for <1 year) started drooping.

We have reset it - and it does not work. We brought it to the local Nissan dealer - it is 2000 miles past warranty. It needs to have both power drive units replaced. Cost of repair is $1,200.

Is this a normal thing on a Rogue? (I saw the recall for the earlier model years - but should not apply to the 2018) I am surprised that they did not last longer (the cost also surprises me - but I guess that is what happens when you add power to a part).

/R

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

As I always say, you are under no obligation to have this work done at the dealership. Find a reputable independent repair shop and get a quote from them. If you're handy and feel comfortable doing your own repair, you can get the part and do it yourself. It looks like only the left side is powered. The strut on the right should be replaced as well, and probably will cost around $25.

Tailgate Pull Down Motor (Left)
Part Number: 90561-4BA4A
Fits Rogue (2014 - 2020)
Your Price $286.17
lift.png

RCH
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV

regnar wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:25 pm
Hi!

The (power) tailgate our 2018 Nissan Rogue with 38,000 miles (that we have had for <1 year) started drooping.

We have reset it - and it does not work. We brought it to the local Nissan dealer - it is 2000 miles past warranty. It needs to have both power drive units replaced. Cost of repair is $1,200.

Is this a normal thing on a Rogue? (I saw the recall for the earlier model years - but should not apply to the 2018) I am surprised that they did not last longer (the cost also surprises me - but I guess that is what happens when you add power to a part).

/R
My 2016 Rogue has a liftgate problem too. It opens a few inches then closes back immediately, just like there's something restricting it. It was also out of warranty when the problem came out. It was intermittent in the beginning. Sometimes it open in the second or third try, but now it does not. The weird thing is, it sometimes works during cold weather (Winter).

The dealer diagnosed it and they said they found a certain code B2427 (Even though there was NO warning sign in the dashboard). They suggested that the Right and Left Hand Spindle Motors (Quoted $1100 for parts and labor) be replaced. They said this will just be the first step, if it does not work, they will need to replaced the back door control unit (Quoted for $425).

I did not go with the repair, it's too much for me. So, I am opening my tailgate manually during hot weather and enjoy it during winter.

RCH

regnar wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:25 pm
Hi!

/R
There is a TSB (NTB12-110C) for 2016 Nissan regarding the recalibration of the powergate. 2018 Rogue is not included in the TSB but you can ask the dealer to recalibrate your powerback door. It is cheaper than changing the motor.

regnar
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue

Had it replaced by an independent - needed to have both replaced. Saved $5 - $1195 instead of $1200. Hope it is not a recurring issue.

RCH

regnar wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:40 pm
Had it replaced by an independent - needed to have both replaced. Saved $5 - $1195 instead of $1200. Hope it is not a recurring issue.
I am glad your tailgate got fixed, even though you spent a lot, I know the benefit is more specially this pandemic period.

Return to “Rogue Forum”