2018 Cabin Air Filter- Should you buy a framed or unframed filter?

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Rdsrds123
Car: 2018 Nissan Versa

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gHi3bsgy5zKJiUTv5

This image is of the filter with plastic frame. Rock Auto Parts shows two kinds of filters, one with a frame and one without a frame. Both fit all Versa second generation, may also fit first gen 2007-2011. Both filters need to be deformed to install. I was thinking that a plastic frame would not bend, but the white plastic that constitutes the frame is glued to the filter element along 2 sided of the filter and easily bends in the direction necessary for installation. YouTube shows only the frameless filter being scrunched to install. The framed one is same dimensions, only needs to be bent temporarily as shown in the picture to install. Not sure why two different kinds exist. My framed filter is Rock Auto Parts # 453-6118. Denso electrostatically charged cabin air filter.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I can tell you from experience with many customer vehicles that the OE frameless types don't always seal well against the walls of the HVAC. That can lead to things like pine needles sneaking past the filter and into the blower cavity, and at 3,000 RPM it doesn't take more than a couple of pine needles to imbalance the blower cage and cause noise or even ruin the nose bearing. So if the frames are foam, or even a soft rubber or urethane, I imagine they might provide a better seal and represent a real improvement.

Rdsrds123

Great comment! Perhaps I should vacuum out the filter cavity before installing a new filter? Not sure this framed filter has the rubber siding, only a bendable plastic. Rock Auto shows black plastic on 2 or 3 sides on a few of the 20 different cabin air filters they sell for the Versa. I got the Denso filter, hard to go wrong with Denso.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It never hurts to clean out the filter cavity, especially if your parking place is under trees. ;)

Rdsrds123

I replaced the cabin air filter today. Not difficult, took 15 minutes. Glove box does not need to be removed to change the https://photos.app.goo.gl/G55ndHCd3skRuCsr6]

This OEM filter has 58000 miles, almost 5 years.The color of the filter is gray from the factory.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”