2017 Titan PRO4X... Ask me anything.

Covering the 2003-2015 first-gen and 2016+ Titan and Titan XD lineup
RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

Titan crew!

NICOclub has a long term 2017 Titan PRO4X on its hands. If you're curious about the new Titan half-ton, ask me anything! We will have periodic reviews on the truck posted on the home page, and we look forward to being your one-stop shop for all things 2nd Gen Titan!

We are currently breaking the truck in, so the first update should be posted sometime within the next month or so based on accumulation of mileage.

Equipment is as follows:
Crew cab, 5'7" bed. 5.6L Endurance V8 Gas (Cummins is not available on the half ton truck). Utility and towing package (spray in bedliner, utilitrac system with LED bed lighting, Rockford Fosgate Audio, trailer brake controller, heated extendable towing mirrors with puddle lighting, power sliding rear window).

Current favorite feature - Rockford Fosgate Audio kicks the crap out of anything Bose in Nissan's lineup.
Current hated feature - no power folding option for tow mirrors.

This thread will be updated as we go along - in the meantime, if there's anything specific you'd like me to test with the truck, post up in here and I'll add it to the list of things to cover.

math
Car: Rogue 2016
Titan XD 2017

Could you get the power/torque curves for the 5.6 V8 Endurance?
I am the happy new owner of a 2017 Titan XD. Real reliable Extra Duty working truck....

RicerX

Let me see what I can dig up.

TeKNiX
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x

Why did you choose the Non-XD over the XD on a pro-4X?

RicerX

I didn’t have a need or want for a diesel, so once I eliminated that, I surmised that the lesser weight, overall length, and better fuel economy of the half ton would be more appropriate for my purchase.

The shorter bed length hasn’t come up as an issue for daily use for me outside of the selection of bed covers, but that’s getting better as more of these trucks hit the road.

TeKNiX
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x

I have a '18 pro4x with lux. just got me wondering what if I went for the Gas XD. what would I be missing out.

RicerX

TeKNiX wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:59 pm
I have a '18 pro4x with lux. just got me wondering what if I went for the Gas XD. what would I be missing out.
Honestly, as far as the gasser goes, you miss out on a bit of bed length. I'm not sure if it can tow any more than the half ton.

Aside from my early transmission issues with the truck (soon to come in an article here), I have really enjoyed my Titan.

RicerX

Actually, according to Nissan's spec sheets, even the gas XD can tow about 2000 more lbs than the half ton as well as nearly 1000lbs more payload.

http://nissannews.com/media_storage/dow ... -FINAL.pdf

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

So how has your mpg been?
I know from experience with other Nussan trucks/SUVs that the PROX X version generally adds a small amount of height (mostly via taller tires) and a bit of weight (mostly via skidplates).
So I am curious what is a normal highway milage for you when you dont "get on it" too wildly.

RicerX

PalmerWMD wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:01 pm
So how has your mpg been?
I know from experience with other Nussan trucks/SUVs that the PROX X version generally adds a small amount of height (mostly via taller tires) and a bit of weight (mostly via skidplates).
So I am curious what is a normal highway milage for you when you dont "get on it" too wildly.
On shorter “in town” trips across faster roads (55mph or so) I don’t have trouble breaking 20mpg. Personal best is 21.1. Full combined city driving is around 16.5 mpg in town for me. I have checked against the trip computer and hand calculations at the pump and this truck’s trip computer is very accurate.

My longest haul was a drive to Dallas from North AL (long story but the bachelor party had to go on so we drove!). I had five total grown men and all their luggage - filled up the truck bed with air mattresses and hard shell luggage. Did 19.2 over the course of the weekend. That includes all stops for fuel, traffic stuff, and a couple jaunts across Dallas for coffee and stuff (otherwise it was Uber). I was very happy with that. I didn’t baby it on highway speed either. Texas interstates have an 80mph speed limit, so as far as interstate I was bouncing around between 75-85 on the cruise control.

I feel I could have babied it a bit more and gotten into low 20s. I run 87 octane and Mobil-1 extended performance on 10k change intervals.

PalmerWMD

Wow that great fir a full size truck!!! My Xterras dont do that unless I hypermile it.

RicerX

PalmerWMD wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:25 am
Wow that great fir a full size truck!!! My Xterras dont do that unless I hypermile it.
I feel the same way, though apparently it only bests the Tundra in today's crop of full-sizers. The Ford Ecoboost V6 is apparently good for 24 highway according to a few I have talked to. The new Ram e-Torque HEMI is in the same neighborhood as the Ford. Chevy has a new fuel-saving technology in the latest Silverado (similar to what my pops has in his Sierra Denali 1500 - he makes 23mpg highway. He does 19 with his music gear trailer in tow that's about 5,000lbs).

Either way, newer trucks are just getting better with the fuel economy all around. I would rather have my Titan is a relatively simple V8 (with no alternate cylinder/cutoff noise) vs a twin turbo 6 and a 10 speed transmission like you'll see in the Fords.

PalmerWMD

Any more updates?

MTGunner
Car: 2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4
2000 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

What would be a realistic mileage for my 2017 Titan 5.0L diesel not towing Anything?

RicerX

PalmerWMD wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:49 am
Any more updates?
Well... a lot. Truck got lemon lawed (well.. the simple explanation is lemon law arbitration, which basically incentivized me to trade in for a replacement Titan).

I'm now in a 2018 Pro4X in Pearl White, fully loaded. Maybe I make a new thread?

I'm nearly 8000 trouble free miles in with this truck, and it doesn't do a single thing the blue one did over time. In the first 3000 miles I had a transmission replacement, and subsequently I had issues with trim popping off the truck in random spots (overfenders were the worst, window trim mounting points broken), screeching/squealing AC vents, and a couple other things I can't remember right now.

Not going to lie, I miss the blue a bit, but the white is easier to keep clean. I'm hoping this is going to be better long term - so far it is. On the hot days I've had recently, being able to start the truck from my cell phone inside the office is a pretty ridiculously convenient feature.

I'll do a more thorough review here sometime soon. Just had a baby so we're in "once-again parent survival mode" and the schedule is pretty crazy.

RicerX

MTGunner wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:02 pm
What would be a realistic mileage for my 2017 Titan 5.0L diesel not towing Anything?
I have zero experience with the diesel, but from what I understand it's supposed to be pretty close to the half-ton's 15/20 MPG (4WD) rating.

Welcome to NICO!

Return to “Nissan Titan Forum”