2017 Sentra CVT fluid capacity?

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
MoogLe

Hey guys,

Can anybody confirm for me how much fluid I would need to fill into an essentially empty CVT transmission?

My oil pan had a hole in it which made the car lose all the cvt fluid so there's no filling the same amount that came out.

I checked the service manual and it lists the "capacity" at 6.9L but under the maintenance procedure they mention filling 3 liters through the drain plug after draining so I'm a bit confused.

I did notice however when I had the oil pan off that the drain plug had a 2-3 inch pipe protruding inside the oil pan which means that when draining, you would basically not be draining all the fluid, so it may make sense that you would not be replacing the entire 6.9L. They also mention in the procedure to drain and refill the fluid twice, which would further makes sense of my theory that the drain tube does not drain all the fluid.

I would just like to confirm my suspicions here before I proceed.

Also, I'm guessing I can just fill the fluid from the "dip stick" tube on the top right?

Thanks in advance

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

What dipstick tube, if they have the short standpipe in the pan then there should be no dipstick tube at all. The fluid normally gets handpumped into the pan below.

The fluid amount varies because the torque converter does not drain and it holds a sizeable amount of fluid in it. You only drain what is in pan and that is not all of it. Your hole leaking though may put you in the middle of BOTH of those amounts as you have no idea of the total amount of fluid lost there.

To drain pan you pull the plug and then the standpipe comes out after too, or you leave the pan full. You refill with standpipe in place and until the fluid just begins to run out of it as it is the level setter there.

MoogLe

amc49 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:33 am
What dipstick tube, if they have the short standpipe in the pan then there should be no dipstick tube at all. The fluid normally gets handpumped into the pan below.

The fluid amount varies because the torque converter does not drain and it holds a sizeable amount of fluid in it. You only drain what is in pan and that is not all of it. Your hole leaking though may put you in the middle of BOTH of those amounts as you have no idea of the total amount of fluid lost there.

To drain pan you pull the plug and then the standpipe comes out after too, or you leave the pan full. You refill with standpipe in place and until the fluid just begins to run out of it as it is the level setter there.
well maybe I shouldnt have called it a dip stick tube since there's no dipstick in it. But there is a short "dipstick tube" like tube on the top of the transmission. The cap on it has a slot for a dipstick but it's just missing the dip stick.

This is not my picture but it looks to be the same.

So I'm thinking I can fill through there with the drain plug removed until the standpipe starts leaking?

One of my issues is that the Nissan CVT fluid does not seem to be available in my area. I can only get Valvoline synthetic CVT fluid which even the dealership seems to use.

But I'm a bit afraid to have the fluids mixed up so I'm thinking I should somehow try to flush the old fluid out. Any recommendations on how to best do this?

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

'So I'm thinking I can fill through there with the drain plug removed until the standpipe starts leaking?'

Quite likely, apparently your car was in the middle of the change and transmissions on the line already had the tubes installed. Lucky that.

Getting out the old CVT fluid is BIG in making them last longer, the fluid loses frictional qualities as well as building up metal dust in it to wear trans faster. The more old fluid you dump the better.

Look at the CVT fluid spec for your year, they changed it at least once I'm thinking. Could be wrong though.

MoogLe

Car only has 600 miles on it though so the fluid in it is pretty much brand new.

I decided to just order Nissan NS3 fluid so I don't have to worry about flushing the old fluid out.

Still kinda doubting on the amount though. Should be good if I just fill the pan untill the standpipe starts leaking?

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

Look up the service manual here onsite if they have that one. You pretty much always overbuy ATX fluid until you are sure of a change amount, at least I do.

MoogLe

I already did that

If you look back at my first post, you can see that the service manual was somewhat confusing.

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

The amounts are never exact and a pint there can easily kill you.

v_maxim
Car: Pulsar C13 1.2 DIG-T Xtronic

To top-up some liquids in your car looks fairly simple, you have a minimum and a maximum marks on a bottle or on a stick... But in your case two of the most important things are missing: the information (how much fluid) and the tool (the dipstick). I think you can overcome this with some research and help from friends:

1. Find the CVT model: Jatco CVT-7?
2. Other cars with the same gearbox: Juke, Altima, Versa, Qashqai, etc.?
3. Dipstick code and dipstick-tube code: perhaps something like 31086-3TA1A and 31080-1HA0B; compare with as many as possible cars found on 2.
4. CVT fluid? for a new generation xtronic, NS3 - most probably;
5. Did you notice that some a little bit older models really had a dipstick not just a cap? If it is the same gearbox and the same dipstick-tube... hmmmm! Most probably you can measure the fluid level with one of these dipsticks!
6. Could not find a dipstick? No problem; take a general one, flexible enough and long enough (at least 50cm I suppose) so that inserted on the dipstick tube will reach the bottom.
7. Get a whitness/comparison car from a friend, a neighbour... something with *the same gearbox* (see 2.) Read the fluid level on the dipstick on that car. If possible, make 2 or three readings: engine stopped, engine running, cvt fluid temperature cold (let's say 30 Celsius degrees), cvt fluid warm (60 Celsius degrees, for example).
8. insert the dipstick down to the bottom in your CVT. Does it read anything? I suppose not yet, given you had a hole in it. Add 1 liter (or one bottle) of cvt fluid through the dipstick tube. Insert the dipstick and read again. Anything? The level increased with... about 7-10mm?
9. Repeat: add another 1l/bottle of cvt fluid, measure again; thus you want to know how much to add, step by step, to reach the minimum level you read on the whitness car with the cold engine, i.e. stopped.
10. Make sure the level in you cvt is as in the other car, the one taken as whitness, on the same conditions.
11. Start the engine. step through the P, R, N, D, slowly, keep it few seconds in every mode. Stop the engine, wait for the fluids to settle, measure again. Add fluid if neccesary. Repeat 11. until the reading on the dipstick is steady.
12. Make the readings with engine running, with cold and warm CVT fluid. Should match those made on the comparison car. Add fluid if neccesary. Make a drive test, measure again in the next following days from time to time. That's it.

How much fluid? I really don't know; maybe some is trapped in the torque converter, but can't tell how much; most of the rest has been drained, you said.

On the other hand, the ECU counts something like "the deterioration level" for the CVT fluid; therefore you should reset this counter when you change or flush the fluid, accordingly. If your car is almost new, maybe you can skip resetting this counter, but you shuld check it's value with an OBD tester anyway.

Well, hopes it helps. Don't take this procedure as a precise solution to your problem. My advice is to ponder carefully and proceed only when sure.

MoogLe

v_maxim wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:51 pm
To top-up some liquids in your car looks fairly simple, you have a minimum and a maximum marks on a bottle or on a stick... But in your case two of the most important things are missing: the information (how much fluid) and the tool (the dipstick). I think you can overcome this with some research and help from friends:

1. Find the CVT model: Jatco CVT-7?
2. Other cars with the same gearbox: Juke, Altima, Versa, Qashqai, etc.?
3. Dipstick code and dipstick-tube code: perhaps something like 31086-3TA1A and 31080-1HA0B; compare with as many as possible cars found on 2.
4. CVT fluid? for a new generation xtronic, NS3 - most probably;
5. Did you notice that some a little bit older models really had a dipstick not just a cap? If it is the same gearbox and the same dipstick-tube... hmmmm! Most probably you can measure the fluid level with one of these dipsticks!
6. Could not find a dipstick? No problem; take a general one, flexible enough and long enough (at least 50cm I suppose) so that inserted on the dipstick tube will reach the bottom.
7. Get a whitness/comparison car from a friend, a neighbour... something with *the same gearbox* (see 2.) Read the fluid level on the dipstick on that car. If possible, make 2 or three readings: engine stopped, engine running, cvt fluid temperature cold (let's say 30 Celsius degrees), cvt fluid warm (60 Celsius degrees, for example).
8. insert the dipstick down to the bottom in your CVT. Does it read anything? I suppose not yet, given you had a hole in it. Add 1 liter (or one bottle) of cvt fluid through the dipstick tube. Insert the dipstick and read again. Anything? The level increased with... about 7-10mm?
9. Repeat: add another 1l/bottle of cvt fluid, measure again; thus you want to know how much to add, step by step, to reach the minimum level you read on the whitness car with the cold engine, i.e. stopped.
10. Make sure the level in you cvt is as in the other car, the one taken as whitness, on the same conditions.
11. Start the engine. step through the P, R, N, D, slowly, keep it few seconds in every mode. Stop the engine, wait for the fluids to settle, measure again. Add fluid if neccesary. Repeat 11. until the reading on the dipstick is steady.
12. Make the readings with engine running, with cold and warm CVT fluid. Should match those made on the comparison car. Add fluid if neccesary. Make a drive test, measure again in the next following days from time to time. That's it.

How much fluid? I really don't know; maybe some is trapped in the torque converter, but can't tell how much; most of the rest has been drained, you said.

On the other hand, the ECU counts something like "the deterioration level" for the CVT fluid; therefore you should reset this counter when you change or flush the fluid, accordingly. If your car is almost new, maybe you can skip resetting this counter, but you shuld check it's value with an OBD tester anyway.

Well, hopes it helps. Don't take this procedure as a precise solution to your problem. My advice is to ponder carefully and proceed only when sure.
Those are some good ideas! Appreciate the input!

So looking in the service manual I'm finding under "transaxle model" RE0F11A

My brother in law does have a 2016 Versa, which from what I'm seeing, has the same transmission. Now I need to find a dipstick :facepalm:

v_maxim

Excellent! RE0F11A appears to be a Jatco CVT7 JF015E (anyway, can't count 100% on google search - so, to be verified.)

I'm looking for a dipstick too; Currently I have no problem with the transmission but I would like to be able to check myself the oil level, if neccessary. I found something:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRANSMISSION-D ... 2536034913
and I think I'm gonna grab one of these... looks fit for the job...

Good luck!

MoogLe

that dipstick looks pretty long though doesnt it?

the dipstick tube on my car is pretty short, like only 1 foot and the distance to the bottom of the oil pan is another 2 feet or so at best

v_maxim

Indeed, but I should use it only when neccessary: insert through the tube until you feel it reaches the bottom of the CVT oil pan, and read the level there. If it happens to have two cars without dipstick, I think this is the best way to "copy" the right fluid level.
On the other hand, if you can get an original dipstick, you might shorten it to that length, and copy the markings... and please remeber to share with us the dimensions! ;)

sabbates
Car: 2017 Sentra

Where did you get the service manual for the 2017 Sentra?

The 2016 manual says to fill the CVT fluid from below with a pump.

Were you able to fill it from the "dipstick tube" from above?

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”