2017 Rogue won't accelerate or downshift when goosing it.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
bnwitt

So I was driving my 2017 Rogue SV back from the Postal Annex today and all of a sudden the vehicle just seemed to be coasting. It would not respond to the accelerator pedal. Stepped on the pedal to get it moving and it just kept going at the same speed. Stomped on the accelerator and no change. I flipped the gear shift into the manual mode and it dropped a gear. I found I could manually shift the CVT in between gears and it would accelerate but it didn't seem to have the same get up and go as it did in Drive before this incident. Now it won't downshift are take off very quickly. If I manual shift through the gears I can get it to move along but still not much acceleration. Any ideas what could be causing this all of a sudden?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Sounds like something's in "limp" mode, is your MIL lit? If so, get it scanned at a parts store and we'll help you translate. If not, pop out your Mass Airflow and check for hair or butterfly wings. The Rogues have no MAP sensor to cross-check the MAF, so the ECM basically has to trust it. When it lies, it can cause all kinds of twacked behavior without throwing a code. If you don't have compressed air, blow it clean with Brakleen or throttle-body cleaner.

bnwitt

Thanks for the replyVStar650CL. No MIL light. No faults showing. I changed the air filter yesterday and the one I took out wasn't that dirty. I just pulled the MAF sensor and blew it out with air but I didn't see any debris or crud on it. Still doing the same thing. No acceleration. I have a Foxwell NT301 OBDII EOBD code reader. I'll put it on and see if it comes up with anything.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Well, the MAF is pretty much the only component the ECM has no cross-check for. It can detect a flatline of course, but a MAF outputting wrong or "middle" signals won't throw a code. The only good way to check that is with a streaming scanner that can show you the actual gps of air coming in and the resulting A/F alpha (rich/lean). Most cheap OBD scanners also can't detect the tranny or ABS, although serious faults in either one will usually give you a lamp. Since you just changed the air filter, make sure everything downstream is secure and that you didn't create any vacuum leaks with a yanked hose. Any leak downstream from the MAF constitutes "unmetered air" and will cause the same sorts of symptoms. Eventually leaks will turn the MIL on with a lean code, but it almost never happens quickly.

bnwitt

Thanks VStar650CL. The California sun is blinding me under the hood at the moment. I'll wait till sundown and look for lose hoses with a light. I did find it rather hard to align the filter housing duct after changing the filter yesterday so I'll check that again. Might take it to the dealer in the morning.

bnwitt

I hooked up the Foxwell and it shows the MAF running at 0.01 lbs/s and going up to 0.15 lbs/s when revving up to 3,400 RPM

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The duct is on the inlet side upstream from the MAF, so it shouldn't cause those kinds of issues. But there's a connector to the resonator box on Rogues that's on a very short nipple and sometimes pops loose if the clamp is weak or mis-located. It's easy to miss because the resonator is on a 2-point mount and won't flap around even if it's disconnected.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

0.1 lbs per sec is equivalent to 0.016 gps, so those scans are very low. Rule-of-thumb flow is at least 1 gps per liter of displacement. I'd say your MAF is crapped.

bnwitt

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:09 pm
0.1 lbs per sec is equivalent to 0.016 gps, so those scans are very low. Rule-of-thumb flow is at least 1 gps per liter of displacement. I'd say your MAF is crapped.
That's what I thought as well and it was 0.01 to 0.15 when revving it up and that didn't seem like enough air for combustion. I'll go get a MAF

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It will need an IAVL (Idle Air Volume Learn) after you replace it, to match the new MAF to the ECM. Only takes a few minutes, so the dealer shouldn't charge a ton for it. Don't skip it -- depending on the electronic,s they can vary as much as +/- 30% out of the box. That's a whole lot of wasted fuel and potential catalyst problems if it's way rich, or potential engine top end and misfire problems if it's way lean.

bnwitt

Crap. I just purchased a MAF sensor at AutoZone. How do I perform the IAVL learn my self? Is it the procedure below:

Idle Air, Volume Learn.
1. Make sure the accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition ON, do not start engine, then wait 3 seconds turn the ignition back off and wait 10 sec.. redo this procedure 3 times
3. Next, Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal 5x within 5 seconds
4. Wait 5 seconds, then fully depress and hold accelerator pedal. After Approximately 10 seconds, the Malfunction indicator light will switch from steady to blinking. Approximately 9 seconds later, the light changes from blinking to steady once again.
5. Fully release accelerator pedal and start the car within 3 seconds.
6. Allow to idle. Wait 20 seconds.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The only IAVL-capable scanners besides a Nissan CONSULT that I know of are top-end SnapOns and MACs. Sounds like your Foxwell isn't bottom-end, I'm unfamiliar with it but you might check if it has Work Support functions. It won't hurt to drive the car a little ways (or even a couple days) with an unprogrammed MAF, you just don't want to leave it that way forever.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No, that's the Closed Throttle Position Learn (CTPL).

bnwitt

I found the procedure at the link below:
https://www.launchtech.co.uk/common-pro ... 2For%20its

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Try it. The parameters are right, although that looks like instructions for older models with separate IACV's (it's integral with the Throttle Body on your '17). I'm pretty sure the actual CAN instructions are OBD-II, so it may not matter.

bnwitt

Will do. Thanks VStar650CL

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome, happy to help!

bnwitt

Okay, very weird. AutoZone sold me the wrong MAF sensor (5 pin instead of 4 pin) last night so I figured the dealer was my remaining choice. This morning I took the Rogue to the dealership to have it checked and it ran great all the way there. The drive was about 5 miles in morning traffic and everything was normal. The dealership was packed so I decided to bring it on home. The vehicle ran fine all the way back. I am going to chart the MAF sensor later today to see if that has changed.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Check the pin-fit on the MAF. Whenever plugging/unplugging seems to cure something electrical, very often it means there's a crummy pin or weak box-spring.

bnwitt

VStar650CL I'll do that and maybe clean the connector pins with some Caig De-Oxit. I did notice there is electrical tape on the last inch of the multi-conductor cable and connector which doesn't look factory to me.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:) Sounds like a tree to me, I'd start barking.

bnwitt

Indeed :)

Return to “Rogue Forum”