2017 Rogue Sport Need New Engine ???

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
simplyt
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue Sport

Hey Everyone! I'm so happy that I found this forum, because it is definitely needed!!

I have had my 2017 Rogue Sport for about 2 years and 3 months. I have never had any issues with it until now. So I got an oil change and engine flush in March 2020. The next day, I started having the check engine light come on. I took it to Nissan and they said they couldn't find anything. They said that they plugged it up, did a diagnostic, and test drove it. They gave me a print out of what was done, which also included a checklist of them saying nothing wrong was found during the multi-point inspection.

I took the car home and the next day......the same thing happens with the check engine light. So I immediately take it back to the dealership and they kept it for a couple of days. They call me back and now say that NOTHING under my hood is salvageable and that I need a new engine due to engine sludge. Which makes no sense due to the service I had done 3 months prior. The car is under warranty, so they contact Nissan for the warranty work approval and Nissan of course denies it.

But what I'm trying to figure out is how I go from nothing is wrong with my car and you checking under the hood & under the vehicle - to now I need an entire new engine. Because if you thoroughly checked the car......this would have been discovered the first time....

Anyone have any insight or have been through this?

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Was it used?

What was your oci?

Should not have happen unless you never changed your oil.

Curious why the engine flush, I never had one especially by a dealer on my 2009. :slap:

Altair 4
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 1
2020 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 2

There's a lot of information needed to draw any sort of conclusions. Answering the following questions might give more insight into the problem:
What oil change interval has been used in the past (miles and time)?
What grade/type of oil has been used?
Why was an engine flush performed?
How many miles are on the vehicle total?
Who performed the oil change?
After the oil change and the light came on, how long and how many miles before you took it to the dealer?

simplyt

casperfun wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:54 am
Was it used?

What was your oci?

Should not have happen unless you never changed your oil.

Curious why the engine flush, I never had one especially by a dealer on my 2009. :slap:

The car was purchased new and oil was changed throughout the 2 years of having the car. The engine flush was suggested and was told to me as a way to help keep the longevity of the car life span. The car only has 40,000 miles...

simplyt

Altair 4 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:00 am
There's a lot of information needed to draw any sort of conclusions. Answering the following questions might give more insight into the problem:
What oil change interval has been used in the past (miles and time)?
What grade/type of oil has been used?
Why was an engine flush performed?
How many miles are on the vehicle total?
Who performed the oil change?
After the oil change and the light came on, how long and how many miles before you took it to the dealer?
Hi! The car had about 3 oil changes prior to the one in March. The oil used is 0w20 and it was done at Jiffy Lube. The engine flush was suggested and was told to me as a way to help keep the longevity of the car life span. When the check engine light came on, it was taken to the dealership the next day because they were closed when it came on - so about 30 miles as the dealership is 35 minutes away from home. (this includes the miles from jiffy lube, to home, to the dealership)

Altair 4
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 1
2020 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 2

Thanks for the additional information.

The oil change mile interval, per the 2017 Rogue Sport owner's manual, is every 5,000 miles, following the standard maintenance schedule. It looks like you have had 4 changes in 40,000 miles, based on your responses. Following the guideline would have resulted in 8 changes. Depending on your location, driving conditions, and style, the severe operating conditions might have warranted even more.

Just spit-balling here, but I'd guess that the engine flush disturbed the oil that may have sludged from possibly overshooting the oil change mileage recommendation. The dislodged sludge blocked critical oil flow and starved the engine of lubrication. If your recollection is correct on the number of changes, that will be sufficient for Nissan to deny responsibility.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I was about to say if the dealership was giving you free oil changes or even if not free, some unscrupulous places don’t even change it. I even think I read it in the forum once that a person marked their oil filter to see if it was changed and it wasn’t. So it could happen.

But no longer can say it’s the dealers fault since all the oil changes were not done there.

Then you said jiffy lube. Now I know they can be shady as hell but then again you need proof.

I’m just speculating because a 2017 is like way new at least to my over decade Rogue and I have no sludge problem.

If I was told I need a new engine I would seriously be in wtf mode on a nice 2017 rogue sport.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

Engine flush...otherwise known as a wallet flush. Seriously don’t buy that stupid crap they sell. Your engine at 40k miles should still be perfect. Yeah you should have been taking it in for an oil change a bit more often, but on an engine that new I’d be suspicious. My thinking is the flush did exactly the opposite of what it was supposed to do. Instead of prolonging engine life it actually shortened the life of your engine.

The other point to consider is those quick oil change facilities often use oil from a drum with a rating that is not for your vehicle. My dad used to use 10-30 on everything, you can no longer do that. Your engine requires a fully synthetic oil, are they using that? I use a different oil for each vehicle I own. 0-20, 5-30, 5-45 each oil is rated for a different engine. The 5-45 even comes in two different specifications, I don’t dare use the wrong one in the wrong vehicle, lest I have to replace a cam. In the future I suggest you learn how to change your own oil. You don’t even need a jack to raise the Rogue to access the drain plug. Just a few simple tools and you know it’s done right with the correct oil.

What trouble codes are listed on the printout? The “engine flush” may just have destroyed an oxygen sensor or MAF sensor or some other simple part. Dealers are not immune from wanting the big dollar repairs. Very few of these 2.5 engines fail unlike the crap CVT transmissions they are mated to.

Return to “Rogue Forum”