2017 Rogue Hybrid FWD Jerking and Shaking issue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
@Jab011
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid

Hello everyone, this last year my 2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid with FWD has been having a very inconsistent issue where, while at low speeds, will jerk forward and shake like crazy. There is no check engine light on, when reversing or moving forward at speeds less than 20 mph it will lurch quickly back and forth, and the engine and entire frame of the car will shake. After highway driving it will be more prone to these issues but I am not sure what is causing it. After bringing it to one body shop they thought it could be an issue with the CV axles which could cost upwards of $2000 to replace, does this sound accurate? Has anyone else had this issue? Please let me know as I do not want to spend $2000 if this won't even fix my car.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The HEV version of the Rogue is just as dependent as the gasser version on the MAF, fuel pump, and cam and crank sensors. Those things can all cause massive misbehavior with no codes. Since it's intermittent, my prime suspects would be the cam sensor or fuel pump.

@Jab011

Thank you for your reply and insight.

I apologize for not clarifying, by intermittent I meant moreso in terms of its scale. Almost always my car will experience these jerking issues but will sometimes be able to move 20 feet at 5 mph without jerking while other times I can't move 5 feet without shaking the entire car. Is the one body shop's guess of the CV axles as the issue completely off-base or is there any merit to this?

Based on you stating it could be a few other prime suspects it sounds to me that I want to bring it to the dealership for this type of problem. Otherwise the body shop is planning on disassembling my cv axles this Thursday to determine IF that's even the problem.

I greatly appreciate your help with this and any advisement as I am trying to get this fixed without spending lots of money at multiple spots. Thank you

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That still sounds more like an engine issue than suspension or transmission. It might just be something as simple as a bug in your MAF sensor (literally a bug, or even a piece of lint, that's all it takes). Let me ask a couple relevant questions:
Does the bumping and jumping get worse as you increase road speed, or as you increase engine speed? If it's the former then it might be a CV axle or some other drivetrain issue, if it's the latter then it's probably the engine. Does the tachometer bounce around when it's jumping? If so, that almost certainly means an engine problem and not drivetrain.

@Jab011

"Does the bumping and jumping get worse as you increase road speed, or as you increase engine speed?" Neither, the bumping and jumping is worst when I am moving at low speeds below 20 mph. The road speed and engine speed will both be relatively low in these situations. Sometime when it's jumping very badly the only solution is to press hard on the gas to make it accelerate through the jumps. Speaking of pressing hard on the gas, frequently I will press hard on the gas, watch the engine RPM quadruple and the car still won't move an inch for at least two seconds. This has caused me to get honked at plenty of times after a green light change unforunately.

I just went and tested it and no the tachometer does not bounce around when it is jumping. When I first begin driving the car the jumping is not that bad but after the car has had a moment to warm up or has been running for more than 5 minutes the jumping becomes much more prevalent. After an hour of driving, the car is much more prone to shaking the entire car as the jumping is incredibly bad.

Thank you again

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The revving without going anyplace is a red flag, that sounds like your tranny has a problem. The Rogue HEV uses a specially modified CVT interfaced with an electric motor that's sandwiched between the engine and trans, but the heart of it is still a CVT. It sounds like the belt is slipping and the jumping is "judder" from the belt. Most shop scanners won't read all the systems in the car and may not read the transmission correctly, I'd get a dealer scan.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I had a bad shudder, jerky acceleration but I don’t believe it was as bad as yours. My scale would have been a 5 while yours sounds like an 8.

Also had this feeling that I was driving over rumble strips at 30-40 mph.

Thought the jerky acceleration was actually normal because of the bad rap cvt’s had for many years.

Hoping for the cheapest solution?

Do a drain & fill.
Maybe use some cvt additive (never tried)

Ever since I did my first drain & fill at around 87k,
I know, real late in the game. :bang

…..my rogue has been driving smooth as butter for several years. :woot:

Also change the diff & transfer fluid.
Maybe fuel injectors cleaning since ethanol gas is crappy.
Clean throttle perhaps. MAF sensor etc.
Loose or cracked hoses.
Old spark plugs & coils.

Original cvt transmission for nearly 14 years here.

I consider your hybrid still pretty new to me at least even though Nissan discontinued it.

Nissan vehicles are pretty much a crapshoot in reliability.

Good luck. :wavey:

@Jab011

Want to update for others who may be experiencing this issue.

Brought it to a dealership and was told that it would cost $10,250 for a replacement of the entire transmission. A flush and fill in this situation wouldn't help because the fluid keeps filling with rust because of internal damage to the transmission housing. I blame this on Nissan as they are aware of the CVT transmission issues but since my car is a hybrid it doesn't apply to the warranty extensions that were recently rolled out for other Nissan Rogue models.

I really loved this car but can't imagine spending that type of money on a repair so will be seeking a trade in and filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau so that others with this car type can hopefully get their transmission repairs covered by warranty.

Thank you for all the help and insight from this forum.

Return to “Rogue Forum”