2017 Rogue 2.5L Oil Recommendation

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Rogueman4
Car: 2017 Rogue 2.0 L

I just purchased a 2017 Rogue 2.5L from a friend at a great price. It was consuming a bit of oil (there was no leak detectable) and he sent me this link for the oil. He said the oil consumption would not be that big of an issue:
https://www.searchforparts.com/oil-chan ... .5l-qr25de
but when I went to the dealer, they would not accept this oil and said I would have to get the oil they carry.

I dont want to pay big bucks for a mechanic to inspect everything since the issue can be resolved by using a synthetic but I do not know how to change my oil and so far two dealerships refused to put the oil that I want to bring to them. Now I have to go to some unknown place/local mechanic that may or may not accept.

Is it against dealer rules to put a different brand of oil? If I go with their oil the engine is gonna start consuming a bit. I should make my buddy change it for me, he told me the day after I bought it that it had this issue, geez.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Oil changes are one of the easiest maintenance things to do on your car. Nissan recommends FULL SYNTHETIC 0W-20SN/GF-5 motor oil. See section 10-2 Technical and consumer information (page 509) in the Owners Manual.

The dealerships make most of their money by selling customers overpriced services. So no, they won't use your oil. That being said, if you have a premium oil filter you'd prefer to use, they will install it, if you ask nicely.

DTASFAB

I've had a Nissan dealer use a 5-quart jug of Mobil 1 that I brought. If you're paying for labor, I don't see why they would care, unless they're genuinely concerned that the oil you bring is going to cause problems and they'll have to warranty the work. The real answer is they want to charge you top dollar for their full synthetic, whatever brand it is.

Most places that just do labor when you bring them the oil and a filter will still charge around $30-35, so factoring in about $11 for the filter and $25 for a jug of full synthetic, it's still around $70. If the dealer is under $70 for an oil change using full synthetic, that's not crazy.

If you change the oil at every tire rotation (6000-7000 miles) and use full synthetic, I wouldn't worry too much about which brand of oil is used. Amsoil is good, Mobil 1 is good, Pennzoil platinum is good, etc.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Interesting tidbit:

I am currently overseas with my VQ40de and even though Nissan recommends 5w-30 in the US in this country they recommend 5w-40.
EPA mpg testing is biased for relatively cold operation and OEMs that want to use thin oils during a test must put declare it the preferred oil.
I used to have a pdf of the EPA memo on this but lost it several computers ago.

Leo1818
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue

My dealer always uses the oil and filter I provided with no issue. I am not sure why yours refused and Amsoil is a well known brand. Just try another shop.

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

Unless you have a physical limitation preventing you from working under a vehicle, would you be open to try changing the oil on your own? That would probably be the most cost-effective solution since you don't even have to worry about spending for labor, just some time and maybe a couple of beers during the process. The instructions are in the Owner's Manual and it's fairly easy to follow.

dubnationd
Car: 2015 Rogue

you can find great deals on oil changes and other maintenance by checking your local area Nissan dealership websites.
I just had the oil changed, tires rotated, car washed for $19.99 Nissan Factory recommended oil 2015 Nissan Rogue.

Return to “Rogue Forum”