2017 Quest Considering Purchase

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
quest17
Car: 2017 nissan quest

hi folks,

I'm researching the nissan quest as i'm considering purchasing a fleet 2017 Quest from a rental car company. The mileage is ~40k and I would expect has been maintained to manufacturer guidelines. After doing some research, I'm very nervous about the CVT in the van. What's the average repair cost for that? Is it an entire transmission replacement?

I'm not afraid of vehicle maintenance, but getting stranded on something like a family road trip isn't something I'd like to experience.

Would you all recommend this vehicle? Any comments on it?

We like the interior, price, and the style of it compared to other bubble mini-vans.

Thanks!

dikgee
Car: 2015 Quest SL

I have a 2015, coming up on 35000 miles with no CVT or any other problems. My only word of caution, and maybe of no importance to you, 2017 is the last year for the Quest. It's been dropped due to poor sales. Just never as popular as Toyota & Honda. Personally, I prefer the styling of the Quest over the others.

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

quest17 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:54 am
hi folks,

I'm researching the nissan quest as i'm considering purchasing a fleet 2017 Quest from a rental car company. The mileage is ~40k and I would expect has been maintained to manufacturer guidelines. After doing some research, I'm very nervous about the CVT in the van. What's the average repair cost for that? Is it an entire transmission replacement?

I'm not afraid of vehicle maintenance, but getting stranded on something like a family road trip isn't something I'd like to experience.

Would you all recommend this vehicle? Any comments on it?

We like the interior, price, and the style of it compared to other bubble mini-vans.

Thanks!
We just did exactly this in July this year. Bought a 2017 Quest SV Enterprise fleet vehicle through a local dealer. Got a great deal on it. Had 40k when we bought it, now have 48k. The 3.5L and Jatco CVT is the same eng/trans Nissan uses in the Murano, Pathfinder and others. This CVT is much more robust than the unit they put in the early Rogues, for instance. We have had no issues.

I use the CVTz50 scan tool app and the CVT fluid condition showed only about 18,000 on the life meter. CVT fluid should be changed at 150-200,000, so the the CVT looks to be in good shape.

You should do a detailed inspection under the vehicle to confirm there are no signs of abuse (dents, leaks, etc...). We really like this thing. I was able to negotiate a significant discount because this van was missing a rear headrest, the factory carpet pads were gone and it only had 1 key fob. No big deal but the 2nd fob cost me about $160. Purchased a new fob online and my dealer charged me $70 to program it.

This is the 2nd Nissan fleet vehicle we've purchased and probably won't be the last. It's a great way to go, provided you do your homework. Let me know how it works out for you.

Paul

quest17
Car: 2017 nissan quest

Thanks for the great replies! The tip on CVTz50 is awesome! I didn't even know that existed.

I plan to pick it up and take it to a mechanic do a thorough inspect on it before I pull the trigger. It's missing floor mats and the second keyfob so I'll see if i can get a couple extra bucks off for that.

The price is great on it compared to other vehicles and we like it much better than the Kia Sedonas we saw. The only fear I have is the CVT after research but hopefully the diagnostic tool and maybe some obsessive changing of fluid will keep me safe on it.

We really like the styling on it and hope the one we are eyeing passes a mechanic's inspection...

Thanks again!

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

Just to answer the cost o the CVT replacement question - around $4000.

Hope you don't need it. It's a great van, we bought a new SL in 2011 and loved it until the CVT fiasco.

good luck

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

Mjkkb2 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:15 pm
Just to answer the cost o the CVT replacement question - around $4000.

Hope you don't need it. It's a great van, we bought a new SL in 2011 and loved it until the CVT fiasco.

good luck
So did your CVT fail?

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

Yup at about 119k miles
Catastrophic failure with no prior symptoms

Mariemark78
Car: Nissan Gt-R

I happen to rented this car from Car Rental 8 Coupons and by good luck, they rented me a new Nissan.
The car is best, but as you are buying in the used condition you to inspect thoroughly.

Return to “Quest Forum”