2017 Maxima code P0776

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
BryanS1010
Car: 2017 Nissan Maxima SR

Newbie here so please bear with me.
So 11 month's I've had this 2017 Maxima SR, got it with 61k miles and handful of headaches.
So here's my problem, as I'm driving on a beautiful day enjoying the MAX and all head turning and boom car goes into limp mode. I pull over and its just the light with code P0776 (I have a OBDll) Of course I had to order a new filter & gearbox strainer. So when I drained it WOW I was shocked. Blacker then night, but absolutely no shavings or anything in the pan. Like the code says so I've now changed it 5 times, valve body was taken apart and cleaned, bought a re-man valve body and most recently put in new solenoids in the original valve body. That code wont go away. So I've read somewhere about having to get the TCM either updated or flashed with that work, and could that be the issue?? And I'm pretty sure I know this answer but, is there anyway flash or update the TCM without the $1500-$5000 Consult lll +??
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct Forum

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The old VB is pretty much screwed if you changed solenoids in it, because the IP information for the solenoids is exactly what needs to be programmed. Changing the solenoids makes the IP's unknowable, so you've rendered the original VB unusable. There should have been either a CD or a QR sticker with the reman VB. If it's a sticker, it's intended to replace the one located on top of the Range Switch. If you still have one or both, that's the IP information which needs to be scanned and loaded into the TCM. I don't know of any tool besides the Consult3+ which can load the data. CVTz50 can do it on trannies which have the IP's stored in the VB, but the '10H in your Max doesn't work that way.

BryanS1010
Car: 2017 Nissan Maxima SR

Thank you for your response. I didn't receive any paperwork or CD with either. Regarding the solenoids, would the stamp (numbers & letters) that each one have on it, is that what needs to be programmed in?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I'm not sure if the solenoid markings correspond. They might, but changing them is a can of worms that we never attempt at the dealership. Even if they do, I'm not sure what the order of correspondence would be in the IP file. P0776 is an unusual code to occur by itself, and it can be caused by wiring. So before you mess with anymore hardware, I'd trace the sensor wire back to the TCM and make sure you don't have a broken conductor or bad pin-fit causing the issue. Your tranny wiring should be identical to a '16, you can find the diagram and connector call-outs here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 6%2FTM.pdf

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - If you have CVTz50, take a look at the Secondary Pressure while running. If it reads flatline at zero or off scale high, it's very likely you have an open or shorted circuit.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”