2016 Rogue SL - Expected Life in Miles?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
bbkrogue
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL

Hello. I have a 2016 Rogue SL with 58,000 miles in pretty good condition. No mechanical issues, and I've kept up with every maintenance task. My dealer has me scheduled for a CVT fluid replacement at 60,000 miles, which seems to be common based on the posts I've read. So my question is, how many miles can a Rogue last? I've seen the number 200,000 miles in places.

I ask because I've thought about trading up to a 2021. It's a great car, but it means another 5 to 6 years of car payments. Replies from "old Rogue" owners welcome and thank you!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The QR25 engine in the Rogue is as bulletproof as any engine can be, we've seen them exceed 300K with excellent maintenance (3K oil changes and 2~3 year coolant swaps). The CVT's are "perpetual motion" if you keep the fluid fresh (30K, not 60K) and add a cooler if your circumstances require (lead foot, lots of steep hills, or trailering of any kind). The kind of structural failures you might expect regardless of maintenance are generally not in the drivetrain, things like strut bushings, clickety seat frames, and door harness flex couplings. The gen2's have their idiosyncrasies, but the repairs don't tend to be the sort that send the vehicle to the JY. The '21's aren't much different in the drivetrain, but the rest of the car is brand new and the case is out. My usual advice to people is, if you're thinking of buying a brand new model, don't. Give it a couple-three years to shake the bugs out. The '08~'10 and '14~'15 Rogues were perfect examples, the former had awful transmission issues because of lacking a heat exchanger and the latter had all sorts of bugs in the AV, HVAC and front suspension. By '11 and '16 respectively, all the worst of it was shaken out.

bbkrogue
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL

Great info, thank you. You're right, it's a good idea to wait awhile after a redesign hits the streets.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

It’s a crapshoot, but if you got a lucky good cvt, I say 180k with minimal or no cvt fluid change. The pine hollow dude never change his wife’s cvt fluid and it went to that much. :bigthumb:

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

If you plan on keeping it that long I’d suggest multiple (at least one more) cvt service shortly after the 60k service. I had an 09 Altima and trusted the dealers consult degradation at 60k on my cvt so didn’t change it. At 94k the cvt started whining with absolutely no warning. Luckily it was covered under extended warranty. I now drain and fill probably way to much on all my nissans but if the cvt craps out I can honestly say it wasn’t my fault. As far as oil changes go I’d use the severe service and use a good filter with quality synthetic. Normally I’d say to use the oem filter from Nissan but I’ve seen some failures on adbv over on bob is the oil guy and just experienced one on the wife’s 18 rogue. The adbv stays in the open position and causes a dry start with extreme start up rattle. One post even showed the valve coming dislodged and basically making the filter go into by pass not filtering a thing. Luckily I caught it at around 800 miles so hopefully nothing pops up long term. I sent the filter back to the dealer and contacted Nissan corporate and no s*** were given. The filter in question is the “gohner made in Mexico” 15208-65oe. I have around 10 of them and won’t be using the ever again. But vstar is correct, the 2.5 minus the early pre cat issue is one of the best 4 bangers ever made. I can consistently get 30 plus mpg running 80 and am still running on the original starter. I did replace my alternator before an 8hr trip up north because I’m neurotic and figure it’d go out in front of the dealership.

worldbikr
Car: na

My 2008 is at 329k miles. I just changed the cvt fluid cause it overheated all summer w 90+ temps and was beginning to whine regularly. That fluid had about 35k on it. Hope I make 350 .

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

worldbikr wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:35 am
My 2008 is at 329k miles. I just changed the cvt fluid cause it overheated all summer w 90+ temps and was beginning to whine regularly. That fluid had about 35k on it. Hope I make 350 .
I knew before reading your post that you had tons of miles from several years ago when I read your post with the most miles. Good to still see you around the this forum with your functioning Rogue. :dblthumb:

Return to “Rogue Forum”