2016 QX80 Fuel Gauge Problem

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
haroldtheb
Car: Infiniti QX80

Have a five month old 2016 QX80 and the fuel gauge seems to be way off. After about 40 miles it reads 3/4 of a tank and around 125 miles it's down to 1/2. When I fill up when it reads 1/2 tank, it only takes about 10 gallons. The strange thing is the range estimate seems to be correct. The dealer was not helpful when I took the car in and recommended that I contact Infiniti Consumer Affairs because they are unaware of any problems. Anyone else seeing the same issue?

marctronixx

petrol sending unit is conservative on this car, so even though you are in the red you can still go for like 35 or so miles.

that said, check if there are any recalls on your VIN. Call into any infiniti dealer and check this.

you can also check for any trouble codes at the obd port by using a scan tool. if you dont have one, stop by a autozone or similar place. they can do it (usually) for free. takes a couple minutes.

ive had armadas and now a 2012 qx (bought brand new) and the petrol sending unit was always conservative when measuring the petrol.

PetitFrereArmada

haroldtheb wrote:Have a five month old 2016 QX80 and the fuel gauge seems to be way off. After about 40 miles it reads 3/4 of a tank and around 125 miles it's down to 1/2. When I fill up when it reads 1/2 tank, it only takes about 10 gallons. The strange thing is the range estimate seems to be correct. The dealer was not helpful when I took the car in and recommended that I contact Infiniti Consumer Affairs because they are unaware of any problems. Anyone else seeing the same issue?
Your gauge may not have a problem. That is about right, what it is doing. Do you have a heavy foot?

Mine does about same thing and I thought it was a problem. But I realized it is not. Try using a full tank of gas and see how many miles you get out of a full tank of gas until the low gas warning light disappears. Mine will average 300 and I think I may have gotten like 280 one time under spirited driving. But if I drive conservatively, I could get 350.

I took a 8,000 miles trip that just ended yesterday, but due to the fact that I did not want to be stranded for gas, I found myself putting gas at every single stop, so I never got to drive my car to let my gas gauge get low. And at one point, I was driving like 55 on a country back road after filling up my gas tank and my odometer range said I could get 540 miles out of the tank of gas, which just made me smile because no way I could get that averaging the 55mph I was doing.

But I believe your gauge is fine.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”