2016 QX80 Engine Roar and Ticking

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
tkowalski

Have an issue with a 2016 QX80.
Several videos can be found in the following links.
First, when starting, either cold or warm, seems the fan clutch is stuck on for a period of time. This has happened at 15 below zero and at 90 degrees.
https://youtu.be/tkGlkZgwYNo is rather long, but, in the beginning, the load roar can be heard. Infiniti is saying that this is normal behaivor.
https://youtu.be/fFOj27m7bK0 is a startup without the roar, which is what I would desire.
https://youtu.be/ohUnGq5y0_k is a ticking noise that has appeared, especially if it is below 40 degrees and gets louder the colder it gets. Infiniti doesn't have a fix for this yet. It is not consistent, almost always happens when the startup roar does not happen, occasionally happens when the startup roar does happen.
Wondering if others have experienced the same.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

0macman0
Car: 2011 QX56

My 2011 does the exact same thing. Cold ticking and fan roaring for on start for no reason. The fan, I wouldn't worry too much. What side and where is the ticking coming from?

tkowalski

Infiniti doesn't know where the ticking is coming from. Seems like towards the passenger side right behind the radiator.

marctronixx

the ROAR is NORMAL and i LOVE it (to each his own yeah?) Sounds like a MACK truck. what that means is the engine room is above a certain temp and the fan turns on to reduce the under hood temp. also of the BCM wants to test the fan clutch it will do this as well. PERFECTLY normal, even on a cold day up in wisconsin! ;)

that tick tick tick noise is NOT NORMAL at ALL! maybe low oil pressure. does the ticking noise vary with engine speed'?

id be concerned about the tic noise my friend...

tkowalski

Thanks for the note.
I would accept the fan clutch test if Infiniti admited that is what is going on. This "roar" never happened in the first 3 months we had the vehicle. Also, don't understand the reason for the test at start up. I have owned big engine vehicles from Toyota, Chevy, Ford and Dodge and none of those tested the fan clutch in the same way.
I have not tested ticking related to engine speed. I will try this weekend and get back to you. Oil pressure gauge reads normal. Seems to get worse as the temp drops.
After the dealer consulted with Infiniti consumer affairs, they said that the ticking would not hurt anything and to continue to drive. They didn't have a time table for a fix.

marctronixx

i cant speak for those other car makers but Nissan can over engineer their cars sometimes.. :)

yes if the BCM detect a high ambient temp range in the engine room prior to start, it will send a pulse to the clutch fan to turn on. this can happen randomly and will happen more and more if you drive in warmer weather. you can leave the car in the sun for a few hours, raising the engine room temp, and once you turn the car on it will roooaarrrrr... :D

just this morning at 430am my time i got in the car and this started up. the day prior it was a little warm here in LA (mid 70s) and i was driving, ahem, spiritedly.. :D got home (garage kept) and dint get in it until this morn.

point is this is normal. you may not hear it again for several weeks and then you will hear it once or twice. also when you are in stop and go traffic and/or running the AC and you are idling, expect to hear the RROOOAAARRRR kick on when you accelerate. come back and say "marc you were right" whenever it decided to get warmer than 12 degrees! :)

also, when you first drive, you should hear/maybe feel the brake ABS making a little ticking sound for a second.. perfectly normal.

that ticking though in the hood??? that is not good brotha. go to a different infiniti dealer and have them listen to it/watch the video.

ive actually heard a similar sound from another qx driver who posted the same type of sound. i think its the valve lifters/something inside the engine related. again ive n ever heard that on the 2012 i drive and the engine is the same.

yes please find out of it varies with acceleration!

0macman0

I just had the opportunity to listen to that ticking noise video..... that is no bueno my friend. Pop the hood and take another video from where you feel the tick is coming from. The tick I experience when cold is exponentially lighter than that, more like a leaky manifold or valve lash. I feel like the rate of ticking is too fast to be a rod knock at idle, but too loud to be a valve / lash issue. I've seen serpentine tensioners make that sound and worse before multiple times on different vehicles.... that's my bet.

STREETFIGHTER50
Car: 2017 Armada

That ticking is very loud! That's definitely not normal. I'd take it to another Infinity/Nissan dealer.

0macman0

tkowalski wrote:Thanks for the note.
I would accept the fan clutch test if Infiniti admited that is what is going on. This "roar" never happened in the first 3 months we had the vehicle. Also, don't understand the reason for the test at start up. I have owned big engine vehicles from Toyota, Chevy, Ford and Dodge and none of those tested the fan clutch in the same way.
I have not tested ticking related to engine speed. I will try this weekend and get back to you. Oil pressure gauge reads normal. Seems to get worse as the temp drops.
After the dealer consulted with Infiniti consumer affairs, they said that the ticking would not hurt anything and to continue to drive. They didn't have a time table for a fix.
I would love to know what the outcome was on this and what the ticking noise is!

kasabdm
Car: 2017 Infiniti QX80

Did anyone figure out this tick. Have a 2017 QX80. Getting identical tick. Freezing in Michigan

marctronixx

kasabdm,

there are a couple different conversations here.

does your car sound like this?

Allphrozen
Car: 2016 QX 80

That's the direct injection of the fuel system. My Lexus G350 sounded exactly like that

marctronixx

not sure if you are talking to me,

but the video i posted is the timing chain guides not having any oil and they make that noise due to no lubrication on startup.

i have a 2012 qx DI engine and the "clickety" sound doesn't sound this loud.

Deltablue
Car: 2016 Qx80

I just had my 2016 Qx80 in the shop this past week for the exact same clicking noise. They said there’s a update for the fan software to take care of the clicking. I think they’re full of crap but it hasn’t been clicking for the past 2 days.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Deltablue wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:30 am
I just had my 2016 Qx80 in the shop this past week for the exact same clicking noise. They said there’s a update for the fan software to take care of the clicking. I think they’re full of crap but it hasn’t been clicking for the past 2 days.
Deltablue: Welcome to the board! :wavey:

davidbrock45
Car: 2016 Infiniti QX80

My 2016 QX 80 has that exact same tapping noise-Who was the shop that said fan software update? My dealer service dept never heard of that one..

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”