2016 Nissan Rogue CVT transmission failure

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
JBAR1
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV

Hello, I’m brand new to this site and looking for any information, advice and help regarding the following situation I’m dealing with. My ex wife owns a 2016 Rogue SV she purchased used in 2019. She recently experienced a problem with it that has been diagnosed as needing a complete transmission replacement. I’ve since learned of the problems with the CVT transmission in this vehicle. This model is part of a class action suit whereby Nissan extended its warranty to 84 months/84.000 miles I believe. The vehicle has under 50,000 miles , however it appears to be close to or just past the listed month’s requirement which would render the warranty void. The estimates to repair are all around $5,500.
The owner knew nothing of any of this till now and I’m in the process of learning about it in trying to help her and asking for any advice that might be out there . Does the date the vehicle sold new apply to the warranty requirements? Does anyone know of any recourse with Nissan she might have? Is she just stuck with this problem? She’s gotten regular service on the vehicle and not driven it hard. It’s seems that transmission failure on a vehicle under 50,000 from a major manufacturer really shouldn’t happen but obviously it does. Any advice would be appreciated as I’ve never had to deal with an issue like this before. Thx, John B.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If it's only a few days or months past the warranty extension, you could ask the dealer to go to bat for you on a goodwill claim. The Service Manager will generally have the most say in whether goodwill is extended and how much it will cover, but Nissan will generally help out if the failure is egregious (which 50K is) and the dealer will agree to submit a goodwill claim.

I can't speak for the circumstances of the failure, but most premature ones are the result of either lead-footing or high transmission temperatures (for any of multiple reasons, climate, steep hills, trailering) coupled with no fresh fluid. Nissan doesn't recommend fluid changes the way they should in order to keep the official "cost of ownership" low, which I've always felt was a bad policy. It certainly results in a lot of unnecessarily-blown trannies which wouldn't happen with regular 30K fluid changes. There are lots of other threads in here discussing why, but the short story is that CVT's are inherently metal-on-metal devices, and that means when the fluid dies, so does the tranny, full stop.

JBAR1

Thank you VStar650CL, I appreciate you taking the time to pass this information on to me. I’m in the process of contacting Nissan right now and hoping for any help we can get with this. The vehicle right now has 49,500 miles on it. The owner bought the car used and has gotten regular maintenance, including checking all fluids, though she hadn’t had the transmission fluid changed. It also seemed to me that transmission failure at 50,000 is a tough pill to swallow. Thx for responding, I’ll post what the outcome of this is.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

JBAR1

Update on the 2016 Rogue Transmission issue: I’ve established that the vehicle is still covered under warranty extension established to settle the class action lawsuit this vehicle was a part of. According to Nissan I’m to contact and get the vehicle to a Nissan dealership, the closest being 50 miles away, at my expense and the dealership will determine what’s required to repair the vehicle. Nissan also told me only they can do the warranty covered repairs and they would not reimburse me if I had them done elsewhere. We have one estimate from a transmission repair shop who determined replacement of the transaxle with a rebuild and possible reprogramming was necessary. The estimate was $5200.00 with an additional $300-$500 if reprogramming was necessary. This work would come with a 3 year-100,000 mile warranty. I don’t want to pay the towing fee to the dealership and feel that this cost is being incurred because of the warranty covered problem. I also am not sure which course is the correct one, having the dealer repair the vehicle or try to get Nissan to reimburse me for the cost of having an outside shop do the repairs. I think that once the vehicle is at the Dealership to get an estimate it will be difficult to go elsewhere so I’m trying to figure this out now before I commit. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this situation and is there anything I’m overlooking? I’m looking for knowledge. Thx.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I guarantee you won't get a reimbursement short of a lawsuit, warranty doesn't work that way. Pay for the tow. You might be able to get a reimbursement for the tow once the problem proves to be a blown tranny.

The Rogue Runner
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL

I know this is an old thread but, roadside assistance from your insurance will tow you to the dealer at no cost.

Return to “Rogue Forum”