2016 Nissan Rogue AWD error stuck in snow

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
darrylwmiller
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Hi, I pulled into my driveway and got stuck in the snow and I engaged lock AWD to try to get out but after 30 seconds of trying to go back and forth I started getting all these errors. Key fob error, AWD error and a few others. After turning the car off and on the only error that remained was AWD error check owners manual. The traction control light is on, ABS light is on. No matter what I do I can't get out. I put traction sand under all 4 tires, salt rubber mats but still nothing. It almost seems like the rear wheels are locked and not even moving while the fronts are spinning. I keep sinking deeper in the front wheels. Did I mess up the transfer case?

macgiver

And have you ever been in that same situation , where you "made all the right moves " , like you did today , they WERE the right moves today ? ...... and the Rogue SV AWD made it out - as expected ? Like - THIS time is totally different now ?

darrylwmiller

you lost me.

macgiver

I was asking if the car basically has gotten free successfully plenty of times in the past , and also , in so many words , trying to respectfully ask whether you "flipped the right switches" , if you possibly made some error somewhere or somehow in your attempt to drive on out . That's all .

darrylwmiller

Well I may have spun the wheels eagerly hoping it would work but just sank further. The car has never been stuck before. I have studded winter tires on the vehicle. Concerned about the AWD error and I can't turn traction control on or off, it is just illuminated on the dashboard along with ABS and AWD

macgiver

Yeah , technique has a lot to do with it along with trying different combinations of : 1 ) FWD only ,2 ) AWD ,3 )Traction=off, lastly 4 )Traction AND Dynamic Stability Control = off ( Traction button held for more than 15 seconds does this ) . Snow's a Bi-atch , I know :) And you got studs on WINTER tires too, wow ?

Couple of other nico's on here " Genius's " at that , ought to help you with the "Christmas Tree " lighting in your dash , I hope :yesnod

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

@Darryl, do you have a shovel on hand? You may need to get some snow off the underbody since it sounds like the weight is no longer on the tires. I recently ran into a similar issue on my 2017, and I just placed rubber mats on opposite corners diagonally. Drive the car forward and reverse in a sort of a rocking manner, being careful with the gas, and avoid spinning the tires.

The AWD could potentially be reset by restarting the car, but the longer you stay on the snow, the more the hot parts under the car are melting the snow and sticking to the underbody.

Hopefully you're able to get yourself out.

macgiver

Vegas just gave odds ...............1000 to one Darryl HAS a shovel , I heard that from Jimmy the Greek from the grave :facepalm:
:lolling: ............Darryl didn't say he ACTUALLY used one this time here though hmmmmmm?

Place your bets :rotflmao

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

@Mac, I just asked in the off chance since it would definitely help. In my case I was lucky enough to be able to just rock it out, but I was geniunely concerned how bad it could've gotten when I saw how much snow had melted and frozen under the car.

macgiver

Gotcha .........he also probly had no snow shovel with him , you know too I hope ANYONE just gets a little laugh at the crap I interject here from time to time ;)

darrylwmiller

I tried the shovel but it was dark and late at night. I shoveled around all the tires, sides, front, and back. I did not realize how compacted the snow was until this morning and it was pretty much ice by then (heat from bottom of the car). Thank you for the tips though. I ended up having to jack the left and right side of the vehicle up just to have clearance for the shovel from the front. After I got it all out I was able to break free, drove it for a bit and AWD error message went away as well as the Christmas tree lighting. Thanks macgiver for the tip on holding traction control button as I did not know that, and thanks KoiMaxx as I did not think of all that snow causing the underbody to lift enough to lose the full weight of the vehicle on front wheels.

Return to “Rogue Forum”