2016 Nissan Quest SL New Owner

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
Maverick923

Hello,

I just upgraded from a 2006 Dodge Caravan 2.4L Base to a 2016 Nissan Quest SL. So there are quite a few things that I did not have. There is also something I think I liked more on the Dodge and that was the very cheap to replicate is the IGNITION KEY. Now I have been introduced to the very expensive INTELLIGENT KEY.

What is the most inexpensive way to have at least 2 more keys made?

I am wondering if in expensive aftermarket keys for this vehicle exists?

Can I purchase originals from a third party and program myself?
What are the steps if so?, or what programmer can I use?
Can only new keys be used? Or can I use matching key from another vehicle?

The person in finance tried to stick me with a warranty, but I turned it down. The vehicle has about 31k on it. Which is the best way to go?

PoMansVan
Car: 2016 Nissan Quest SV

Welcome! I'm another 2016 owner. SV model. Mine was a previous rental. You can buy used or aftermarket FOBs online or through a key/locksmith shop, but they have to be programmed with a computer plugged into the van's diagnostic port. You cannot do it with a series of button pushing like other years/makes/models. I know this because when I picked up our new to us 2016 in April from a Nissan dealership, it mysteriously only had one FOB. The dealership paid to have another FOB made up for me. They used a local key/locksmith guy with a service van. I sat in the van with him when he programmed the new FOB. It was actually two touch screen computers he had plugged into the diag port to get it done.

I too don't typically buy extended warranties, but I did with this van because of the CVT trans and power options on it. I'm covered for an additional 5yrs/75K miles. Our van had ~32K miles on it when we bought it. I've got other threads going on it, but I've drained/filled the CVT fluid a few times and sucked out and refilled the electric power steering fluid a few times too. The CVT fluid was pretty black.

Having owed a 2001 Windstar, a 2008 Honda Odyssey and a 2013 Grand Caravan, this is my favorite van as far as comfort and drivability.

Bad thing is, my wife cut a corner too sharp in a narrow parking lot approach today. (van full o kids and mother in law) and caved the right rocker panel in against a rock today. $850 in damage. Ugh..

Maverick923

Thanks for the Reply, sorry to hear about the damage to the rocker panel, but at least it was not the worst that could have happened. The funny thing is I said I have the SL when it should be the SV.
You got to wonder if these vans are only sold with one key. I am wondering which aftermarket keys would work then because I have been searching and I have seen some inexpensive keys, but none of then say they are compatible with the Quest.

PoMansVan

Thanks. Yes I hear you. Could have been much worse. I know these vans are sold new with a pair of FOBs. Ex-rentals will typically just come with one. I should have asked the key guy who did mine what it would cost. I would imagine it's in the $100-200 range per FOB including the programming from a dealer. All you need is a Nissan 5-button smart FOB. Just search eBay for "Quest FOB" and match one up with yours. I've seen them in the $30+ range. They're not going to be cheap no matter what you do, especially if you want more than two of them. For our 2016 Quest, my wife has the original and I keep the spare in a safe place. I'd call around to local key shops to see if they can do the programming for you.

dikgee
Car: 2015 Quest SL

Not sure that it would apply here, but, I purchased an Armada from the dealership (previous rental) and they made up a second fob. A couple of months later, I was going thru the jack to familiarize myself and lo and behold, packaged with the jack was a brand new fob that apparently no one knew was there. I now have a 2015 Quest purchased new and it did in fact come with two intelligent key fobs.

PoMansVan

dikgee, good idea on checking the spare tire/jack tool kit. I think I went through it on my 2016 Quest, but I'll check again. The disturbing thing about the spare tire is, when I took delivery of our (previous rental) 2016 Quest, the spare tire which is cable winch mounted underneath the van was missing! The cable was bunched and tucked up out of the way. Dealer "missed" that of course. they bought me a brand new spare. This is another good thing for the OP of this thread to check. Make sure your spare is there!

Maverick923

Yeah I looked under and I saw my spare. I got a fob, and e-key from fleabay. Everyone wanted $120 on average, and the dealer over here wanted only $106. I got someone to do it for $85, plus $15 for a new battery and to cut the key. I had no idea it would be so expensive. Someone wanted me to buy a new key for $239.99. It is insane what they charge. It makes me miss just plain old cheap keys.

The new remote cost me roughly $137 in the end. The most expensive key I have ever had in my life.

PoMansVan

I hear you. I miss the days of having just a simple key with no chip in it, no FOB attached, etc. Unfortunately they're ALL expensive today. Best you can do is just keep one FOB in service and keep the other out of use in a safe place. Did your dealer try selling you FOB "insurance"? This was an honest to goodness sales pitch I had to sit through with the finance guy. "Free" FOB replacements for 5yrs/100K miles *only* for another few dollars a month. Sad thing is.. I can actually see this as being a THING! LOL.

Return to “Quest Forum”