2016 MK7 GTi to 2008 G37s with 90k miles

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
punkmanmatthew

Hi all,

I really don't know too much about the G37s? I've been doing some research on them and they seem to be pretty reliable.

Right now I currently have a 2016 MK7 GTI with 11,500 miles. I was planning on just saving the money to pay this car off in the next half year or I was planning on buying a 2008 G37s with 90k miles in all cash to get rid of my debt. I have a dealer here in my area that will buy my GTI for how much I owe on it straight out.

I'm just worried that the G37s might have some things that will go wrong with it or major things like the clutch going out soon or something like that? I don't want to get rid of my new car just to get out of debt quicker and then end up spending more fixing an older used G37s. I also think the G37 is a pretty awesome car but I'm not sure what to think at the moment? This might be a dumb question and maybe I should just save up and just pay off the GTI. Maybe that's the better idea but idk. It would be nice to just be out of debt now and also have a reliable cool fast car.

My friend will sale me his G37s for 11k. Is that a good deal? From prices I see it seems to be a decent deal.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Matt

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

punkmanmatthew wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 pm

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Matt
Pay off your current vehicle

Telcoman

QCtech
Car: 2003 Pathfinder LE

Not having debt is great. And whatever money you are paying can go to a saving account for other projects. Having said that, what are your mechanical skills? If you can have an older car and learn all its systems and be able to repair them yourself, then that would be the best way to go. If you depend on the dealer or mechanics all the time then dont do it and keep your car. All cars have the possibility to get something wrong, even a 0 miles new one from the dealer. The problem is mostly trying to make cars more complicated, using the excuse of emissions and the like to make modern cars disposable pieces after 5 years. I would love to just have an older carbureted car and minimal electronics and I see me having a project like that in the not too far future, but that is just me. As for price and reliability, my 2003 pathfinder have basically a similar engine VQ35DE, and I bought it with 270K miles. I removed the lower oil pan and everything inside still look very nice with minimum dirt and still pulls like a new one. My 2003 G35 just bought recently with 165K and after fixing a few electrical things it is working beautifully. I paid 1450 for the G35. Nissan engines are very good.Their manuals are very well written and you can find most necessary tools online to do all the troubleshooting yourself.And beside, you have this forum support which is great and not many brands have. That's my 2 cents.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”