2016 FWD clunking in rear (bumpy roads)

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
elric
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV FWD

My 2016 FWD SV Rogue has hit 102K, mileage in summer actually hit 41MPG, now in the cold, around 36-38MPG. Engine tight, no leaks (love the 2.5L). Bought it used with 74K. It was a fleet car from Kansas, no idea of maintenance, quite possible that other than oil changes and like consumables, they did nothing to it.

The last 15K, I get a clunking from the back on rough roads, sounds like when you drop a refrigerator and the compressor rattles inside. Checked the heat shields on the exhaust, added a clamp to the front shield. All the "blanket" style heat shields are still firmly attached to the body. Checked all wheels for looseness when it was on the lift, they seem good.

No squealing or squeaking, just the few clunks. With the mileage on this, my thoughts are of suspension components. When it's on the lift for it's next oil change, I'll check the sway bar bushings. Any other rear suspension component that is subject to wear?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Sway Bar bushings or links would be the prime suspect. The only time the bar is "loaded" is when one side of the suspension is compressed, on level pavement the whole bar floats. So bad components will tend to rattle over washboards and clunk over larger bumps. Before you check anything else, make sure your jack and tools are secure. The Rogue jack mounts vertically in a sheet metal frame and the tools are strapped vertically with a rubberband, so loose ones can make pretty horrendous noises.

Return to “Rogue Forum”