2016 Crossbar screws rusting

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
chansman1
Car: Rogue

Hello happy people! Has anyone else experienced an issue with the roof rack crossbar screws rusting? All (8) are rusting and I don't live in an area where we salt or anything. thanks

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

I have not had that issue in the 4.5 years we've owned ours. But if I did, I would remove one and take it into the local hardware store. Try to find aluminum or stainless ones of same size and thread pitch to replace them. God only knows how much Nissan would charge to replace and you might still have same rusting poor quality.

Big Red Rogue
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

If you are still under the 3/36 warranty, have the whole rack replaced..I did for the same reason.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

I have a similarly identical Rogue as you OP, and I happen to be driving to school and back to home every week, and most of my drives are through the Everglades and Florida's Turnpike, and for 83k miles I have not yet seen rust on my Rogue since it does live outside most of the time. Not sure how many miles is on your Rogue, but it shouldn't be rusting that quickly unless you live in the rust belt, which you don't since you live in SC as you stated in your introduction post. Just remove the screw and take it to Lowe's or Home Depot and a buy a handful.

bfeinstein
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV

We bought our 2016 Rogue about 6 weeks ago. It was a week or so later that my wife caught a glance at those rusted screws. She was not happy. After reading this post about possibly removing them and replacing, I tried my best and could not get even one out. I went to home depot bought some Kylon paint, metallic silver. Sprayed some in a cup and took a small artist brush and touched them up, even around and under. Back to as good as new and she is very happy.

Koushtj
Car: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

I live in Quebec so they all rusted after 3 years. Replaced them all with standard 10mm aluminum bolts from the hardware store. The oem ones are pretty weak and strip easily as well.

Return to “Rogue Forum”