2016 Altima Transmission Question

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
AltimaAllDay03
Car: 2016 Altima 2.5 SV

Hello fellas, new guy here with a question about the 2016 Altima's transmission.

So this past weekend, my parents purchased a 2016 Altima 2.5 SV and after a couple of days of driving it, my dad has told me that the car feels a little slow to accelerate. What I mean by that is when he is basically slowing down to make a turn, upon accelerating out of it, the car feels like it stays in a higher gear like 3rd or 4th and he thinks it is struggling to accelerate. He then told me he has to press a little further down on the gas pedal for it to pick up and feel normal. Now, we have owned an Altima previously, but right now it is in the shop. It's a 2003 Altima 2.5 S and I am asking because I am not sure if they have changed anything like the gears or anything like that in 13 years. If anyone could please inform me on whether or not it is designed to actually, purposely not pull heavily upon accelerationg out of a turn and if it is supposed to feel like that or if there might actually be something wrong with the transmission.

Thank you for any and all help.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

AltimaAllDay03 wrote:I am not sure if they have changed anything like the gears or anything like that in 13 years.

Your 2003 has a 4 speed automatic transmission. The 2016 has a Continuously variable transmission (CVT), which has no gears.
2016 Nissan Altima Owners Manual

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

AltimaAllDay03 wrote:Hello fellas, new guy here with a question about the 2016 Altima's transmission.

So this past weekend, my parents purchased a 2016 Altima 2.5 SV and after a couple of days of driving it, my dad has told me that the car feels a little slow to accelerate. What I mean by that is when he is basically slowing down to make a turn, upon accelerating out of it, the car feels like it stays in a higher gear like 3rd or 4th and he thinks it is struggling to accelerate. He then told me he has to press a little further down on the gas pedal for it to pick up and feel normal. Now, we have owned an Altima previously, but right now it is in the shop. It's a 2003 Altima 2.5 S and I am asking because I am not sure if they have changed anything like the gears or anything like that in 13 years. If anyone could please inform me on whether or not it is designed to actually, purposely not pull heavily upon accelerationg out of a turn and if it is supposed to feel like that or if there might actually be something wrong with the transmission.

Are you saying your father is certain that the acceleration has degraded after a few days? My experience with the 2.5 Altima with CVT = Loud engine, and poor acceleration.

Post an update if the problem is related to a bad CVT.

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”