2016 Altima Transmission issue--- high RPM but no acceleration

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
highnndry
Car: 2016 Nissan Altima 42K miles

Hi All,

I must be the first unlucky guy to have the transmission issue on my 2016 Altima. I just purchased it from Hertz and after I drove on the freeway and came to the streets the sluggish acceleration reappeared.

When I'm at a stop light and start to accelerate nothing happens the RPM goes all the way up to 4000 and it moves like 10 mph. I had to stop the car wait 10 min and then restarted the car and it ran ok but still sluggish acceleration from complete stop.

Do you guys think it is the Transmission, the car has 42K miles.

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

Should still be under factory warranty for the powertrain, take it in to the dealer.

No Check Engine or Service Engine Soon light illuminating?

highnndry

Only the MIL light, I think that's what it is called. the engine sign,

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

That is the same thing as the Check Engine Light / Service Engine Soon. When that illuminates, a code reader will need to be plugged into the OBD2 port of the vehicle and there should be a code or codes that will tell you what is malfunctioning.

highnndry

Just got a call from the dealer and they said the transmission is bad, they already ordered a new one and will replace it tomorrow. Some question below:

1. Can they install a transmission that fast?
2. I bought the car little over two week ago from Hertz, do I have any claim here? I'm trying to get the date on the code to see if it was there
before I purchased it.
3. How many year warranty will the new transmission will have?

The dealer also suggest to do the fuel injection cleaning and brake fluid change, is this something I need or really necessary?

Thanks everyone.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

With the current dealer skills being shown as of late I'd wait and make sure they can change a trans correctly before complicating things further............before it's all over they may tell you the brake fluid caused new trans to not work, it can get that bad.

One thing at a time if one wants to simplify diagnosis.

highnndry

They changed my transmission and the Transmission cooler. The mechanic told me that Sentra and Altima's have this issue, Nissan did not install a proper transmission cooler to cool the transmission. Hence, when the transmission gets hot eventually it gets burned out.

You would think if Nissan knows about this problem since 2013 they should recall and just re-install the correct transmission cooler, which is much cheaper than swapping a whole new transmission, but they didn't.

I hope the new transmission and the cooler lasts longer than the outgoing one. The mechanic also told me that a new transmission costs around $4,700 plus installation. Ouch!!!!!!

That's almost half the price of the car, I paid 11.5K for the car.

MalcolmY

highnndry wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:05 pm
They changed my transmission and the Transmission cooler. The mechanic told me that Sentra and Altima's have this issue, Nissan did not install a proper transmission cooler to cool the transmission. Hence, when the transmission gets hot eventually it gets burned out.

You would think if Nissan knows about this problem since 2013 they should recall and just re-install the correct transmission cooler, which is much cheaper than swapping a whole new transmission, but they didn't.

I hope the new transmission and the cooler lasts longer than the outgoing one. The mechanic also told me that a new transmission costs around $4,700 plus installation. Ouch!!!!!!

That's almost half the price of the car, I paid 11.5K for the car.
Nissan had both CVT and CVT cooler problems since 2007 (4th gen started with the 2008 in some countries). I have been hearing about the transmission cooler problem since I have known the 4th generation. I even installed an external cooler on my 2009 Altima, and the CVT still died on me.

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”