2016 Altima 2.5 Transmission Problem

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
fleeisme
Car: 2016 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I have a 2016 Altima 2. with 80k miles, and it starts off fine, drives down the road for about 15 minutes, then the problems start to arise. The revs jump up, but the car accelerates slowly, like its slipping. I can still get up to high way speeds, but this is definitely not ideal. Was wondering if anyone had a good place to start troubleshooting.

The vehicle is confirmed to be out of the manufacturer's warranty.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

If CVT then likely trans issues....................

THROWAWAYCAR
Car: 2016 Nissan Altima S

I have a 2016 Nissan ALtima S and my transmission just went out at 79K miles.. I got code Po841 and dealer says also code indicating judder which probably could have been prevented had Nissan notified owners that there was a software issue and the TCM should have been reprogrammed to correct this. However this being said. If you live in a hotter climate your CVT will fail anyway, Nissan has what is called a CVT oil warmer. They do not cool the tranny fluid and with the Texas hear the fluid becomes too thin resulting in less fluid being supplied to the Steel belt and then it slips causing the internal failure., Nissan is not trying to address this issue. It is going to cost me $3300 to replace my transmission and after this it is only guaranteed for 12k miles or 12 months., Which is absolutely insane.. I will never buy another Nissan. The transmissions would be ok if Nissan could address the overheating of the fluid, at least partially anyway

mst3kpimp
Car: 2014 Altima 2.5

'hmm they do make add on coolers for the fluid to pass through, I wonder if that would solve the problem or if it's something else, the fact Nissan can't get theyre act together on a 2016 is really sad. you guys should join a class action suit for this issue.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

If you studied the youtube vids then you'll know that the amount of fluid that lubes the belt is NOT the issue. It's the rollers that the pulley halves roll on that flatspot to then start to destroy their grooves, then the pulley begins to seize or drag and the belt breaks or slips.

The CVT technology requires an oil pump that can sustain up to 800 psi of pressure on the pulley halves and our technology is not really there for long wear doing that yet. Normal ATX needs maybe 250 max and only for a short period in reverse, all the rest of the gears run on under 200 psi. The balls in a CVT are simply not hard enough and neither are the pulley grooves they slide in.

A misunderstanding of the fluid 'warmer' as well, the warmer warms the fluid to radiator temperature BUT it also guarantees that the fluid temp goes no higher than that as well. It's a fluid to fluid cooler, which is better than fluid to air at temperature regulation. Give it some thought. Rad temperature being about the ideal for a trans fluid to be at, and why they do it. 200-230 degrees there.

Yes, Texas is hard on them. I have a '17 Altima 2.5 with CVT and we''ll see how long it lasts, and I'm in Texas too.

THROWAWAYCAR
Car: 2016 Nissan Altima S

Do not expect any help from Nissan North America unless you purchased the extended warranty. You may get help at the dealership. They could knock off $1000. But, your car will never be the same. They just replaced mine and it has already jerked, whined and lags. I take it back and they give me attitude like I am making it up. They said that it is not throwing any codes and it seems fine to them. They also told me that it has a 40K mile warranty. I do not think it will last for 20K

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”