2016 4 speed automatic fluid change

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
sw99
Car: Versa

Anyone come up with a way to do this without the stealership. I know its a bit different that the CVT fluid change. Still no videos on YT as of now. Thanks

sw99

More specifically, I'm wanting to see if there is a drain and fill procedure available. I have been told that the fluid is added by pressure according to the service procedure that the dealer uses. There is a small tube similar to the CVT tube and cap. Can it be as simple as getting the cap off and filling what was drained out the pan? Unfortunately there is very limited transmission maintenance note out there on this 4 speed AT. Thanks

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

By pressure they simply mean a hand pump similar to a large hypodermic syringe. Dealer may well have a drum of fluid and it pumps in slowly. Level is set like on MTX, the level gets increased until the fluid comes out of a standpipe that sets the operating level.

I'm wanting to do the CVT myself but trying to figure out how to update the car software as to a new fluid change, which also needs to be done at least on them. I believe the pressure gets altered for the new fluid.

sw99

Why cant this be a simple D&F? Am I stuck with using the stealership?

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Not if the car has no mandatory software update, you can then do it yourself. I'd suggest looking at the appropriate service manaul here onsite and reading the fluid change instructs there to see if no software update is involved.

The plug is merely a 2 piece one that in essence sets a level to fill to like a manual transmission does. One plug comes out to drain anything over the normal level, then the one around that one or a separate one located elsewhere then drains all in the pan. Two issues there, one, about half the fluid remains in the converter to not come out, two, you have to come up with some sort of handpump to pump the new fluid in since you have no dipstick tube. You pump in new fluid until it just begins to come out of the standpipe plug, whichever one it may be.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”