2015 Steering column not covered by carpet

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
JESCHWARTZ
Car: NISSAN VERSA

I'm seriously considering buying a 2015 Versa SV. I've noticed that the area between gas pedal and brake pedal has a
big opening in the carpet, with a piece of equipment sticking out. After some research with a dealership, they determined that equipment is the steering column. They said its in all the 2014 and 2015 Versa's that way, and its .
perfectly safe. When you turn the steering wheel, you can see the column moving back and forth

In fact, they said its the same in all the Sentras and Altimas too- but in the Sentra the carpet covers it more, and in the Altima there's some kind of case covering it.

I've never seen this in any other car in my life. Should I be concerned ? Any thoughts ?

Thanks !

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Not sure why you should be concerned, and the opening is hardly big. It's a small area behind the pedals, and almost against the firewall. The Versa is an entry level vehicle, so there are bound to be cost saving things like this. It's in an area that's not easy to see, and the lack of carpeting has no impact on the vehicle's operation. If it bothers you that much, you could easily cover it.

JESCHWARTZ
Car: NISSAN VERSA

Thanks for your reply. I'm probably going to go ahead and buy the car- I like it the best of all the subcompacts out there. Just seems odd that a mechanical part of the car should be visible like this. I agree, that if I hadn't , by a fluke, noticed it- I'd probably have never known.

Return to “Versa General Chat”