2015 SL w/ Bose strange audio issue....

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Progen
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL w/ Premium Package
Mods: Clear LED Taillights, LED Foglights, RGB footwell lights (OPT7), Red trim all around interior.

Hello all,
I have a 2015 SL w/ the Bose package. Recently, my drivers side door speaker stopped working suddenly. No static, no paper cone noise, etc. As the corner tweeter was still working, I assumed it was the door speaker itself. I took the door apart today and tried to install a new speaker just to test it out. new speaker didn't work either. I tested the old and new speaker with a multimeter and both were fine. The tweeters and front doors are wired in parallel, so they receive the same signal on their respective sides. I decided to get behind my head unit and swap the left/right channels. Left door speaker still had no sound, and the right side was playing the left channel fine. That takes out the head unit/amp issue. So before I start tearing my dash apart just trying to rewire my left door speaker, can anyone tell me how the Bose system is wired? is it headunit->amp-> speaker? or do they do some stupid proprietary thing where I have to trace the wires from the behind the head unit to wherever it goes so I can cut and splice to rewire it? Also if anyone has had this happen to them before please share.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Gen2 Rogues have a known problem with degeneration of the umbilical wires connecting the door to the car body if the harness was rotated the wrong way at the factory.. Peel back the rubber on your umbilical, my bet is you'll find cracked insulation and broken wires.

Progen
Mods: Clear LED Taillights, LED Foglights, RGB footwell lights (OPT7), Red trim all around interior.

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:04 am
Gen2 Rogues have a known problem with degeneration of the umbilical wires connecting the door to the car body if the harness was rotated the wrong way at the factory.. Peel back the rubber on your umbilical, my bet is you'll find cracked insulation and broken wires.
theoretically the wiring could be damaged on either side right? I might have to run a new set of wires anyway if thats the case im assuming.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

When those harnesses go bad there are always multiple conductors involved. Repairing them is a fool's errand, more wires just fail down the road until you have a glom of repairs that won't let the door close. The underlying problem is that the wire bundle needs to coil and uncoil as the door closes and opens, and when the factory half-twists it opposite the direction of the original twist in assembly, the wires eventually fatigue and break. The harnesses aren't generally expensive or difficult to replace, most are under $200. This is typical of the sort of failure you'll find:

Rogue Umbilical Failure.jpg

Progen

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:06 am
When those harnesses go bad there are always multiple conductors involved. Repairing them is a fool's errand, more wires just fail down the road until you have a glom of repairs that won't let the door close. The underlying problem is that the wire bundle needs to coil and uncoil as the door closes and opens, and when the factory half-twists it opposite the direction of the original twist in assembly, the wires eventually fatigue and break. The harnesses aren't generally expensive or difficult to replace, most are under $200. This is typical of the sort of failure you'll find:

Rogue Umbilical Failure.jpg
gotcha. I opened up the rubber grommet and found several broken wires and some that are fraying. as a temp I'll use butt connectors for the broken ones and electrical tape along with a wire loom to try and protect them. I'll snap some pics so others can see as well

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Take some pics of the replacement process too, it's a common failure and I'm sure it will help people. I just checked and your harness should be about $120 online, ($179 list). Don't mess around shopping by MMY. Either visit NissanPartsDeal.com and feed it your VIN, or there will be a part number tag on the harness 24124-?????, you can use that for googling. Get an exact match for the portion with the question marks.

Progen

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:06 am
Take some pics of the replacement process too, it's a common failure and I'm sure it will help people. I just checked and your harness should be about $120 online, ($179 list). Don't mess around shopping by MMY. Either visit NissanPartsDeal.com and feed it your VIN, or there will be a part number tag on the harness 24124-?????, you can use that for googling. Get an exact match for the portion with the question marks.
I went in and checked and tried to rewire the broken wires and still not working.. Looks like ill need a new wiring harness. I don't know how hard it would be to replace it... does the FSM show how to get to the harness itself on the inside of the car under the dash?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It's not difficult, the connectors from Main to Door are tucked up inside a hole behind the right kick panel. Look for a branch of the Main Harness disappearing into the cavity, it just pulls out in a big loop. They don't leave you a lot of slack on the biggest of the three connectors, so it's easiest if you take the umbilical cover and everything inside the door loose first. Then you can easily pull the whole gang all the way out for access. Make sure the window is full up before you start pulling stuff apart, it sucks to need to plug stuff back in because you forgot the window was down.

Return to “Rogue Forum”