2015 Rogue SV again left me stranded....

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
burrpenick
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV
2012 Ford Focus
2015 Mustang 3.7 V6/ 300HP
1969 Plymouth Barracuda

And this was MY FAULT! Please be aware of that small fuse box/fuse link on the SIDE of the battery; its got 3 plug ins and 4 or 5 very small fuseable links. I overfilled my battery and one of those links corroded. Not an easy part to find especially when you are traveling. Got a new one but had already installed a used one and just held on to it, so today, about 2 yrs later the used one went- same fuse- its on the end. battery acid/vapors got to it and it quit while I was driving. Removed the battery and that fuse panel and cleaned it all up, then poured out the excess water in the battery (battery is ORIGINAL TO THE 2015 model CAR- made by Johnson Controls for NISSAN(walmarts brand too)), cleaned it all up, and will NEVER overfill a battery again. Are most new batteries the AGM type that are better about leaking?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You can use an AGM in any late model Nissan, typical regulation is 14.2V and usually tops at about 14.5V. However, if you have your own charger, be aware that AGM's are completely intolerant of charge voltages above 14.8V. On a 10A setting, many consumer and shop chargers will hit 15V or more, so be careful what you use.

burrpenick
2012 Ford Focus
1969 Plymouth Barracuda

I remember the Vstar man! You helped me get the a/c going- too bad it took replacing a good compressor by the first shop, but the next shop said the wire from the compressor to the bottom fuse box was not making contact. Its been working fine, although we did have one day on the road that the a/c would not come on. Beginning to think it has something to do w/the auto controls? Anyway, this small fuseable link box by the battery is TOO close to the battery. This time I made sure the battery water level was where it s/be and also put some tape over those fuse links that have a plastic shield on both sides. Any other suggestions on preventing it fr happening again? Have you see it before- or often? THANKS!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Your surmise is correct, corrosion in those fusible links is usually from acid fumes going overboard from the battery vents. The simplest preventative is some activated charcoal pads (the kind used for soldering stations) on top of the vents, but the real question is why your batteries are outgassing enough to cause a problem. That whole situation isn't normal. I've used Wally batteries in my Nissans, Hyundais, and Hondas for ages and never had a situation like that. The few I've seen in customer cars were always from batteries pushed beyond their useful life or overcharging for some reason. On a '15 Rogue, with the ECM in direct control of the alternator (not indirect through the IPDM like most other models), I'd say the two most likely culprits are a bad battery Current Sensor or a ground issue, either the main engine grounds or the ECM grounds.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Sounds like a pain in the a$$. Thank god my 13 yr old fuse links beside my battery are still golden.

I have enough worries when my 13yr old original cvt transmission will implode to think about. :inout:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

casperfun wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:13 am
I have enough worries when my 13yr old original cvt transmission will implode to think about. :inout:
With the OCD maintenance you give it, that could very well be never. ;) :yesnod

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Indeed, thank god for the World Wide Web, youtube, and this forum. :chuckle:

And my rickity body still holding up. :bowrofl:

burrpenick
2012 Ford Focus
1969 Plymouth Barracuda

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:05 pm
Your surmise is correct, corrosion in those fusible links is usually from acid fumes going overboard from the battery vents. The simplest preventative is some activated charcoal pads (the kind used for soldering stations) on top of the vents, but the real question is why your batteries are outgassing enough to cause a problem. That whole situation isn't normal. I've used Wally batteries in my Nissans, Hyundais, and Hondas for ages and never had a situation like that. The few I've seen in customer cars were always from batteries pushed beyond their useful life or overcharging for some reason. On a '15 Rogue, with the ECM in direct control of the alternator (not indirect through the IPDM like most other models), I'd say the two most likely culprits are a bad battery Current Sensor or a ground issue, either the main engine grounds or the ECM grounds.
Thanks for more info, but in my case this happened JUST after I topped up the battery- and it appears that was not necessary- I overfilled it. It is reading on the LOW end of 'GOOD', but has never failed to start or sounded weak. Is is OK to wait until it finally checks bad to replace it? And are those battery vents located near the top on the sides of the case?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Vents are always someplace on top. With excessive outgassing, that causes problems because sulfuric acid fumes are heavier than air, so they go overboard in an invisible waterfall that corrodes whatever it sticks to. On some vehicles like R51 Pathies the fender actually forms a tub, which is why they get horrible corrosion directly under the battery.

If your battery is outgassing severely and getting weak, and you don't see any evidence of overcharging or bad grounding, it might be a good idea to replace it early.

burrpenick
2012 Ford Focus
1969 Plymouth Barracuda

Thank you once again. I have installed a thin sheet of plastic between the battery insulation and that fuse panel, also a thin layer of tape over the plastic 'covers' for the links on that panel, plan to wait and WATCH............and I know the battery is on the weak side and will replace it soon, with probably another Johnson Controls, fr Walmart- since this original has lasted this long!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

burrpenick wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:34 pm
probably another Johnson Controls, fr Walmart- since this original has lasted this long!
We got darn near 6 years out of the Wally battery in the wife's Altima. Nothing wrong with them at all. They're cheap because Wally buys them in gazillion lots, not because they're poorly made.

Return to “Rogue Forum”