2015 Rogue smells

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
jokerstone
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue

Hi all

Lately my rogue has taken on a musky smell. Its winter just thought I'd mention that. I have changed the cabin filter and it seems to go away. The last time I was at the dealer they recommended some shampoo of the hvac or something or evaporator box. Can this be done as a diy? What exactly do they do?

Thanks!

Jonzini
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue

Can't speak to shampooing the HVAC ductwork but I had something similar on a previous car. It was recommended on another forum to spray Lysol at the HVAC intake at the base of the windshield (not to be confused with the engine air intake at the grill). Don't go crazy with it but turn on the A/C, outside air. Let it run for a few then spray the Lysol at the intake. Do it a few times over a few days. Worked for me and it may work for you depending on how bad the smell is. You'll want to drive around with the windows open after each attempt as the Lysol smell can be quite strong.

Good luck!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

If you want to do it yourself i'd suggest the peroxide. First of course double check that it won't harm the interior or trim. The HVAC system is meant to deal with some amount of moisture and peroxide is just that, water (with more oxygen). Don't use alcohol because it's flammable.

To accomplish what you want, first remove the cabin air filter. Then place the HVAC system in recirculate mode. Find the recirculate intake under the dash. Running the fan on high set the knob to full cold and gently mist the peroxide into the vent. I said gently and mist. Don't squirt or spray it in there. Don't do a lot either. Then turn the knob to full hot and do the same thing.

That said there are two commercial services you could find. One uses a special machine to make a mist that is drawn through the HVAC system. The other uses and ozone generator to flood the inside of the car with ozone. Ozone is deadly to live things and will kill any bacterial or fungus or smell causing things in the car. I would recommend the ozone method.

Return to “Rogue Forum”