2015 Rogue outside temp stuck at -40

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
mrogue
Car: 2015 Rogue

Hi,

I have a 2015 Rogue and the outside temp gauge is stuck at -40 degrees F. This seems to be affecting the AC because the air won’t get cold. I bought a new ambient sensor and replaced it but it remains at -40. Not sure if bad wiring can affect this but if so does anyone know where the wiring attaches to or know if any other reason the outside temp is stuck at -40. I would think if the sensor was bad it would have no reading at all. Hope someone can help because it’s starting to warm up outside. Thanks

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome!

You're correct, the temp gauge does affect the AC unit. Here's some info that you'll find helpful.
07wHiTE 3.5SE 6sPD wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:22 am
I had the same problem. It also affects the air conditioning compressor from working correctly. Take a look by your front bumper to the right of the OEM license plate mount... you'll see a sensor there with two wires colors blue and brown. That's the outside air temp wires and sensor. There is a spot on the connector where you squeeze and it allows for it to be released. Then you can check the connection point for corrosion or water to see if its creating a short. If it's reading 0 degrees and icy there is a short, if it's reading dashes, --- degrees the circuit is open. The sensor works like a thermonuclear in which the higher the temp the lower the resistance. If anyone has access to a multi-meter set it to the k-ohm range disconnect the two wire connector going into the sensor on the bumper and test the resistance output from the sensor. At around 85 degrees you should get around 1.2 k-ohm but if you get an open reading or a reading indicating a short then you need to replace that sensor which is around 30 dollars from the Nissan dealer. if the sensor is good, trace those two wires (blue and brown) back into the IPDM which is a black box resembling a vehicle's ECU (located right in front the battery on a steel bracket). In my case the brown wire had a cut creating an intermittent connection. Any questions feel free to ask and i can try to be more clear. Good luck.
If the Ambient Temperature Sensor is defective then you can replace it yourself. The part isn't that expensive, but the correct one depends on when your car was built.

Production Date: 10/2013-12/2015
Part Number: 27722-3RA0A

Production Date: 12/2015-09/2016
Part Number: 27722-3VA0A

mrogue

Awesome thanks for the info. I did replace the sensor with this one https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/st ... nsor&pos=0

And nothing changed. I thought maybe if the wires were damaged I wouldn’t get a reading at all. Do you think if the wires were bad it could read -40?

mrogue

Also I also removed the sensor and it still was at -40

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

I would think that if there was a bad wire you wouldn't get a reading at all. But then again they don't pay me to think. :biggrin:

Technically when doing electrical work you're supposed to disconnect the battery, but the average guy skips that step. If you didn't disconnect the battery you could give that a try. It's akin to turning your PC off and on again.

While researching the problem I came across this thread incorrect outside temp readings causing problems
People driving numerous types of Nissan's all reported a similar problem to yours, but had no real solutions.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

If resetting your system doesn’t work, then I would go to a Nissan dealer and get a genuine Nissan sensor, you’ll pay more for sure but often parts like this are chinese junk that never work or only work for a short time.

It’s definitely worth the effort to inspect the wiring leading to the sensor as far as your able to.

Return to “Rogue Forum”