2015 Rogue engine RPM (vibration/resonance...)

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
skywalker888

I had 2015 Rogue S AWD for about 3 months now. I have noticed so-called vibration/resonance on steering well and gas pedal when travelling at 40KM to 60KM. Most of this happened when engine RPM at 1250. I now have found out whatever in local driving the engine RPM is always staying at 1250. The initial step on gas pedal will bump RPM to 2000 max. but return to 1250 always. That’s the time I felt most annoying vibration/resonance on steering well and gas pedal. Is my rogue engine having low RPM setting? What is your RPM when driving steady at 40 to 60KM?

I did go back to dealer asking for recheck. Of course as usual I was told it’s common of CVT and it will save gas. I somehow find other way to reduce the resonance effect by always driving on Sport mode. It will boost the RPM to 1750 and avoid the 1250 area. It significantly eliminates the resonance feeling for me. But I have to push the Sport button everytime start the car. Unlike Eco button it will stay on after pushed.

Thank you.

RGOLD
Car: 2015 Nissan Rouge

Same here. I have 2015 rouge SL, ~2000 mile. Around 1200 RPM I can feel some hum/vibrations. This is typical 4 cylinder/CVT trying to save gas by applying too much over drive ratio. I would worry about it.

skywalker888

RGOLD wrote:Same here. I have 2015 rouge SL, ~2000 mile. Around 1200 RPM I can feel some hum/vibrations. This is typical 4 cylinder/CVT trying to save gas by applying too much over drive ratio. I would worry about it.
Thanks for the input. Another problem is on local drive - around 30 to 40 mph - when speed is steady the RPM is staying at 1250 RPM. It will not go over unless I push Sport Mode which will increase RPM over 1500. That means the vibrations are always on when driving locally. Does this happen to you? I'm wondering if I can ask technician to increase the RPM like above 1700 rpm while on 40 mph.

RGOLD

skywalker888 wrote:
RGOLD wrote:Same here. I have 2015 rouge SL, ~2000 mile. Around 1200 RPM I can feel some hum/vibrations. This is typical 4 cylinder/CVT trying to save gas by applying too much over drive ratio. I would worry about it.
Thanks for the input. Another problem is on local drive - around 30 to 40 mph - when speed is steady the RPM is staying at 1250 RPM. It will not go over unless I push Sport Mode which will increase RPM over 1500. That means the vibrations are always on when driving locally. Does this happen to you? I'm wondering if I can ask technician to increase the RPM like above 1700 rpm while on 40 mph.
I use sport mode where the traffic is slow or going up hill around 30 mph. The CVT transmission is programmed for fuel economy so it will try to use the lowest RPM possible unless you select sport mode. I don't think that a Nissan technician will agree to change the CVT programming.

skywalker888

Good to know. Thanks again.

phjake
Car: 2015 Murano SL

After reading your posts I took my FWD 2015 Rogue out on local streets to check it when RPM's are between 1250-1500. I turned off the A/C and Radio and did not notice any loud or unusual sounds at that RPM. However, there was an ever so slight vibration feel on the steering wheel. It was not enough to be bothersome, and more felt like I was driving over a rougher road surface. When I accelerated it went away. I should add that I owned a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander with a CVT for 7 years before I traded it in on my Rogue. Therefore I'm very used to the quirks of a CVT and really don't notice them after all the years of drving a vehicle with one.

skywalker888

phjake wrote:After reading your posts I took my FWD 2015 Rogue out on local streets to check it when RPM's are between 1250-1500. I turned off the A/C and Radio and did not notice any loud or unusual sounds at that RPM. However, there was an ever so slight vibration feel on the steering wheel. It was not enough to be bothersome, and more felt like I was driving over a rougher road surface. When I accelerated it went away. I should add that I owned a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander with a CVT for 7 years before I traded it in on my Rogue. Therefore I'm very used to the quirks of a CVT and really don't notice them after all the years of drving a vehicle with one.
Thank you. This is my first CVT car I think might need more time to get used to it. :crazy:

phjake
Car: 2015 Murano SL

skywalker888 wrote:
phjake wrote:After reading your posts I took my FWD 2015 Rogue out on local streets to check it when RPM's are between 1250-1500. I turned off the A/C and Radio and did not notice any loud or unusual sounds at that RPM. However, there was an ever so slight vibration feel on the steering wheel. It was not enough to be bothersome, and more felt like I was driving over a rougher road surface. When I accelerated it went away. I should add that I owned a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander with a CVT for 7 years before I traded it in on my Rogue. Therefore I'm very used to the quirks of a CVT and really don't notice them after all the years of drving a vehicle with one.
Thank you. This is my first CVT car I think might need more time to get used to it. :crazy:
Glad to help. Be aware there is a topic on this forum about a TSB to fix excess vibration on the Rogue. I don't feel the vibration is excessive in my Rogue, however do a search for the topic and after reading it if you feel the vibration is excessive on yours take it back to the dealer. One suggestion. If you do take it to the dealer for that, have the service adviser or tech take a test drive with you so you can show them the vibration, rather than just explaining it. Good Luck...

drummerguy
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV FWD

I have only noticed this vibration occasionally when using eco mode and accelerating very slowly when the light turns green at an intersection. My fix for this is accelerate faster in eco mode or just keep it in normal mode.

oldengineer
Car: 2015 Rogue SV AWD

My 2015 Rogue behaves similarly.

Romanoff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rouge SV AWD

Hi guys,

I have my Rouge for 3 months 6500 miles. I started having vibrations while driving 70 to 75 miles per hour, around 2200 to 2500 rpm, it goes through accelerator pedal and floor. I do a lot of Hwy driving and I feel like its getting worse. I use cruise control and it does not help. If I floor the car it vibrates as well, when I am braking with engine vibration seems to be less.

I put synthetic oil, and its AWD.
I was just wondering is it normal?

Thank you. :werd:

darkelipse04
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I can't say that I've experienced that issue on my 2015 SV. If it continues I'd take it back and tell them the issue you're experiencing.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Romanoff wrote:Hi guys,

I have my Rouge for 3 months 6500 miles. I started having vibrations while driving 70 to 75 miles per hour, around 2200 to 2500 rpm, it goes through accelerator pedal and floor. I do a lot of Hwy driving and I feel like its getting worse. I use cruise control and it does not help. If I floor the car it vibrates as well, when I am braking with engine vibration seems to be less.

I put synthetic oil, and its AWD.
I was just wondering is it normal?

Thank you. :werd:
Welcome to NICO! Your thread has been merged with an existing thread on the same topic.

We have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum.

--------> READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD! <--------

Romanoff

Thank you guys

Russian1
Car: Rouge

I just acquired 2015 SV. Vibration on steering wheel and gas pedal. Altima with the same power train has no issues as my son drives one. Dealer plays games with me. While the service people drive with me they see the problem, but the shop oder says no vibration found. Talk to service manager and he drove with me. Apparently the dealer has no idea how to fix it. Very annoying to drive this vehicle. The last I heard we flash the software after 2500 miles, but nothing in writing. I feel that Nissan knows and don't have a solution, so they decided to keep it under wraps until there are enough complains filed with the NTSB or the lawyers.

ronzac
Car: Nissan Rogue 08

Dear Rogue owners:

I had this problem for months, i read all your posts and found the solution.
My rogue has 100k and since 4 months go it was shaking between 20 and 40 mph.
The first thing i did was to replace the cv axels with the Nissan value line what cost both arround $300, Then after y had the same problem.
Nissan did not fix the problem. I took the vehicle to another dealer and they replace the cv axels with the original parts , it cost $1800 , now the car is perfect.
In my experience is not the transmission or other part, Nissan spent a month with my vehicle and could not find the problem. They are not going to pay for the fix or parts , is not included in the warranty.
So, dont buy value line cv axels ,they have a defect that will not fix your car. Good luck it cost me a lot but finally the car is working perfectly
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

skywalker888

Russian1 wrote:I just acquired 2015 SV. Vibration on steering wheel and gas pedal. Altima with the same power train has no issues as my son drives one. Dealer plays games with me. While the service people drive with me they see the problem, but the shop oder says no vibration found. Talk to service manager and he drove with me. Apparently the dealer has no idea how to fix it. Very annoying to drive this vehicle. The last I heard we flash the software after 2500 miles, but nothing in writing. I feel that Nissan knows and don't have a solution, so they decided to keep it under wraps until there are enough complains filed with the NTSB or the lawyers.
Same with you. Dealer can't do nothing just keep saying it's normal. Did you try Sport mode button. It might reduce the vibration at least for me.

Romanoff

I have noticed, that mine gets worse when I put premium gas, I put regular now, sometimes there isn't anything, sometimes I can feel it. My friends tell me that I am paranoid :) but I think no more CVT for me and Nissan.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Romanoff wrote:I have noticed, that mine gets worse when I put premium gas, I put regular now, sometimes there isn't anything, sometimes I can feel it. My friends tell me that I am paranoid :) but I think no more CVT for me and Nissan.
Why are you using premium gas in an engine designed to run regular? Please do yourself and your car a favor and don't do that. Also, take a moment to read this thread: What type of gas should I put in my Rogue?

Romanoff

I drove this car in Europe, Asian and US, in Europe and Asia all dealers recommend put gas with octane number 95, which we don't have. Our manual says gas has to be not less than 87, you can put 93 its OK, I put regular, there isn't a big difference, but I can tell that car feels different on EU gas :)

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Romanoff wrote:I drove this car in Europe, Asian and US, in Europe and Asia all dealers recommend put gas with octane number 95, which we don't have. Our manual says gas has to be not less than 87, you can put 93 its OK, I put regular, there isn't a big difference, but I can tell that car feels different on EU gas :)
We're getting off topic, but I thought you should be aware that the octane numbers are not the same between the US and EU, i.e. EU octane 93 gas is the same as US octane 87 gas.
This guy explains really well what Octane rating is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfhTTuxF6Mk

US and Europe calculate it in different ways which makes US fuel look like it has a lower rating but in reality they've got the same rating. US shows the average of the Research Octane Number (RON) and Motor Octane Number (MON) rating, which is the Anti-Knock Index (AKI) while Europe just shows the RON rating which gives a higher number than the MON rating.

More info from wiki: The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane (a fuel standard).

Motor Octane Number (MON), which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load, as it is determined at 900 rpm engine speed, instead of the 600 rpm for RON.[1] MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON, however there is no direct link between RON and MON. Normally, fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.

Basically MON uses a higher stress test and because of that it gives a lower Octane number as the fuel is under greater stress than when it is being tested through RON method.

UK and rest of Europe show the RON rating. US/Canada show the AKI rating which is the average of RON and MON rating.

Romanoff

oh, thanks I did not know that...

indeo007
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Hello Guys ...i have the same issue with my 2015 Rogue SV AWD. The vibration is such that even the rearview mirror starts shaking and cannot see anything clearly. But i do notice the vibrations at lower speeds (under 50 mph). I am due for the first oil change shortly and will take to dealer. Lets see what happens.

Can anyone point the link to the TSB for excessive vibration. I just need to have it handy, in case the dealer start playing the usual crap.

RGOLD

oldengineer
Car: 2015 Rogue SV AWD

I had the TSB done on my '15 Rogue and it didn't help. They evacuated and recharged the A/C system in mine. It still has a vibration at about 1250 RPM, about 40-45 mph in normal operation.

skywalker888

I had this TSB done too after I mentioned it to dealship. What they did is adjustment on the RPM to 750 when idling. it didn't help to stop the vibration though.

Lee614

This was a common problem with Altima (mostly 2013)
The fix (hard to believe) Was replacement of the alternator and some had the idler replaced too. When they did mine they replaced the belt too.

do a google search with description of problem and "Altima"

BarbaraNJ
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV

First let me say that I (generally) love my 2015 Rogue. It gets good MPG for an SUV, its roomy, visibility is about as good as any other small/mid SUV. Ride is comfortable for me ( I know everyone is different on interior comfort, depending on size).

I am guessing that what is called "vibration" here is what I have experienced as the car feeling like it's bucking or tire skipping. The whole car shakes, sometimes violently.

The only cure is to step down hard on the accelerator to go to a higher RPM.

It seems to happen most when the car is at normal operating temperature.

Since this condition is very noticeable and others on this forum are complaining about the same thing, is anyone aware that Nissan is owning up to this problem ?

Also, not everyone is complaining, so I would guess that it does not happen to everyone's Rogue. If not, there MUST be a fix !!!

This would be the only reason that I sell the car and not buy another. I was really planning on trading the 2015 SV for a 2017 SL, but I hate the bucking and its embarrassing when I have others in the car.

RGOLD

BarbaraNJ wrote:First let me say that I (generally) love my 2015 Rogue. It gets good MPG for an SUV, its roomy, visibility is about as good as any other small/mid SUV. Ride is comfortable for me ( I know everyone is different on interior comfort, depending on size).

I am guessing that what is called "vibration" here is what I have experienced as the car feeling like it's bucking or tire skipping. The whole car shakes, sometimes violently.

The only cure is to step down hard on the accelerator to go to a higher RPM.

It seems to happen most when the car is at normal operating temperature.

Since this condition is very noticeable and others on this forum are complaining about the same thing, is anyone aware that Nissan is owning up to this problem ?

Also, not everyone is complaining, so I would guess that it does not happen to everyone's Rogue. If not, there MUST be a fix !!!

This would be the only reason that I sell the car and not buy another. I was really planning on trading the 2015 SV for a 2017 SL, but I hate the bucking and its embarrassing when I have others in the car.

My 2015 rouge is running smooth. What you are describing is not normal. Did you discuss this issue with a Nissan service center?

BarbaraNJ
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV

Not yet. At first, I thought I was doing something wrong----there is an "overdrive" button, and the car is AWD. I have never had an AWD, and sometimes I inadvertently pushed the overdrive button, and there are 3 "modes" (eco, normal, sport). With all of these settings, I thought that perhaps I pushed the wrong button and by turning something on/off the bucking would go away. Of course, I slowed down at the time to check all the settings, so the bucking went away ! I have less than 15,000 miles and have only had 2 services so far, so I guess that when I go in for the 15K, I will mention it.

The problem seems to mirror all of the complaints above (always happens in the lower RPM range) so it appears I'm not alone. I think there was a recall for loose CVT belt. Could this be the culprit ?

RGOLD--just curious, what is your opinion ?

Return to “Rogue Forum”