2015 Q70L 5.6 groan drone sound when accelerating from a stop.

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Krys
Car: Infiniti Q70L 5.6

PLEASE HELP! I just got a 2015 Q70L 5.6. When I accelerate from a complete stop I hear a moaning drone kinda sound like if you say oooooo when u got in trouble when u were kids starting with a low tone then rising for about 1 second then it goes away once past about 2k rpm. After that I just hear the exhaust. The dealer said nothing is wrong. The powertrain warranty is about to be up I want to know if this is a normal sound! It only has 54000 miles.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have a video?

Krys

I can try but I dont think its loud enough to catch on camera it's more of a low pitch groan. I'll post a video hopefully tomorrow. The wife has the car now and I wont be off work till tomorrow.

Krys

I'm trying to post the video but its saying invalid file extension.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Just upload you video to YouTube or Vimeo, then paste the link in the reply box.

Krys

Watch "Q70 5.6 groan drone at 2k rpm" on YouTube
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix link(s)

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Yeah that definitely sounds a bit odd. Does it happen every time? Just went the car is still 'cold' from sitting? That sound almost sounds like a deeper version of the noise most of us 5.6 guys hear when we start our cars in the morning (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvbM42SaFFA) which is related to the engine being in closed loop vs open loop.

Did the dealer do a ride along with you? If not, request that. If so, who did they send with you? A Jr. tech or a Sr. tech?

I once had an issue where they sent the guy who washes the cars with me for a ride along (totally green kid) and he of course didn't hear anything. I then filed a complaint with Infiniti USA HQ and told them that the dealer is basically ignoring my complaints (I had the Elite warranty at the time) and within like an hour, the GM of the local store called me and promised to send me on a ride along with his most senior tech. Within 5 minutes of riding with the senior tech, he said, "Yep, something is wrong here" and we proceeded to do like 25 miles and 40 minutes. Once we got back to the store, he jacked the car up and immediately called me over (ended up being the subframe bushing or something along those lines).

EdBwoy

My hearing might be playing tricks on me, or my headphones might be fooling me, but all I could hear is what sounds like a sweet exhaust note.

Is the same groaning sound present when the car is not moving? If yes, try recording a video from the engine bay. With the car in park, gradually bring it up to the 2,000 rpm you've been having issues with.
Or just do the same thing showing the inside. Hood up, Windows down, rev the car gradually.

Please make the video a little longer, and repeat the exercise a few times.

Krys

Ok thanks yes I will be doing a ride along tomorrow with the dealer. Thanks for the good info hopefully I dont have to file a complaint. Yes everytime I come to a complete stop then accelerate no matter engine temp. If car is in park it sounds like exhaust with a lighter hum or groan sound. Its deeper and more pronounced when moving. It could be exhaust drone it's just I dont hear it in my scat pack 6.4 charger. It could be normal that's what I'm trying to figure out. It just seems odd that a $70000 car would be soo drony inside. I'll get more vids when I get a chance. Thanks for the support guys.

Krys

Watch "2015 infiniti q70L 5.6 0 to 60" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/mJoZrTp9hJg

I'm thinking 4.7 but I timed it with a stopwatch while watching the video lol.

Krys

Watch "Q70L5.6" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/AkcaVvueKFE

Thus is idling this sounds normal but while driving it sounds a bit more drone hum noise. Hopefully the ride along tomorrow goes good and the mechanic says it's normal. It's hard to find a q70L 5.6 to drive to compare. Not a pot out here. That's what makes me like it though.

Krys

I did a ride along with an older experienced mechanic at the infiniti dealer and he told me nothing sounds out of the ordinary. So I won't worry. I did just post a question about installing led lights without having problems. Will discounting battery make everything fine?

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”