2015 Murano SL - White smoke on startup

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
carrjw
Car: 2015 Nissan Murano

At a loss here... . Can you help me troubleshoot?

Hopped in the Murano under normal circumstances, upon starting the car, white smoke bellowed out both exhaust pipes. It did not smell like oil smoke or engine coolant smoke. After a minute or two, the smoke diminishes to nothing. While driving the smoke comes and goes, it is especially noticeable on acceleration, sometimes. The smoke is consistent up on startup, but it varies in amount. Sometimes, just a little; other times - it looks like a steam engine.

I have this jewel of a car in Europe, so access to US spec parts are limited access, but can get most stuff through the mail. I cleaned out the PCV valve, as I have known that to be a problem in similar cases with oil burning issues, but as I mentioned, the smoke doesn't smell like oil burning.

The coolant this car uses the blue stuff. I have never smelled burning blue coolant; but the smoke does not appear to be aqueous. It appears to be more like vape smoke (electronic cigarette).

Anyone with ideas, please share.

BTW, I have anticipated a head gasket, valve seals, and cylinder leaks, but the performance of the car is as though nothing were wrong. No engine lights, nothing unusual... except smoke.

Love the car, but I gotta t-shoot before I commit to major repairs due to my limited access to warranty repair. I need to help the Slovak Nissan dealer repair center figure this out, cause they speak very little English, and service the X-trail (European Murano, sort of). I downloaded the service manuals I found on this site [treasure]. I am hoping for a simple repair, but ... let's talk.

carrjw

Does anyone know if the blue coolant smells the same as the typical green coolant ... as it is expended/burned through the exhaust system?

carrjw

Took a translator friend to the dealership today. They confirmed that the PCV valve was faulty; however, they are saying that the Valve/Rocker cover wherein the PCV is installed is also clogged and will need to be replaced.

Anyone have any knowledge of the Valve/Rocker cover and PCV Valve relationship?

Return to “Murano Forum”