2015 Leaf won't Start: Thinks Brake Not Pressed

The web's first forum dedicated to Nissan's groundbreaking electric car, the Nissan Leaf.
chaz1951
Car: 2015 Nissan Leaf

When I push the Start Button, icons appear on the screen of a foot pushing the brake pedal and a finger pushing the Start Button.
:wtf2:
This seems to indicate that the computer doesn't think the brake pedal is being depressed.
Got the lower dash off and can't see anything wrong.
Brake fluid is OK.
Depressing the brake pedal releases a switch that causes the brake lights to come on.
Can't get any codes. My Inova scanner can't establish a connection when plugged into the ODB2 port.
Ordered a Y-cable and the Konnwei KW 902 ODB2 dongle so I can hopefully get codes using LeafSpy on my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone.

Any help greatly appreciated.
I'd like to avoid towing charges to a dealer.
Regards, Chaz

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There are 3 different "brake switches" on the Leaf, and the one that drives the brake lamps isn't looked at by the VCM. The one with a red and a pink wire is the transmission interlock, it's fed by fuse 77 in the under-hood fuse and relay box. There's also a pedal position switch mounted on the pedal bracket with a green and an orange wire, it's fed by fuse 3 in the cabin fusebox. The red wire should be hot at all times, and pink should go hot with the pedal pressed. The green wire should be hot with the ignition on, orange should go hot when the pedal is pressed. A blown fuse or switch malfunction of either one will cause no "ready" lamp.

chaz1951
Car: 2015 Nissan Leaf

Thanks VStar650CL,
Looked at the fuses under the hood.
Also the ones under the drivers side dash panel.
There doesn't seem to be any position designation for the fuses.
The covers have some functional descriptions but nothing indicating the brake pedal.
Where and how would you test those wires to see if the proper signals were being generated?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:41 pm
The one with a red and a pink wire is the transmission interlock. There's also a pedal position switch mounted on the pedal bracket with a green and an orange wire.
The red wire should be hot at all times, and pink should go hot with the pedal pressed. The green wire should be hot with the ignition on, orange should go hot when the pedal is pressed. A blown fuse or switch malfunction of either one will cause no "ready" lamp.
Check the above using a test lamp. If red on switch 1 or green on switch 2 aren't hot, then check for blown fuses. Chances are you have a bad interlock switch and not a fuse problem.

Return to “Leaf Forum”