2015 Intelligent Key - One Car Only?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
smp82

I have a bit of a problem trying to replace a lost key fob. I lost my 2015 Nissan Rogue Intelligent Key (aka IntelliKey), type B (4 button). These are for keyless ignition vehicles, so there's no way to program new fobs at home, you have to go to the dealership (believe me, I've looked).

I didn't want to pay for the over-priced OEM fobs sold at the dealer ($200+) so I found a used one on ebay, and made sure it was the same type and style. The reason I wanted to buy used was that the dealer initially told me that there were a lot of fake non-OEM fobs out there that couldn't be programmed which is why I had to buy one from them. I decided that I'd just buy a used OEM fob on ebay instead, and the fob I received was in excellent shape and came with a pre-cut key, so it looks like it was indeed a used key.

I took it to the dealer for reprogramming, and was advised by the tech that once an Intelligent Key from 2013+ was linked to a car, it could never be reprogrammed to another car. I asked if we could at least try it, and he said that we could, but he guaranteed it wouldn't work and that I'd still have to spend $140 just to find out. He insisted he was just trying to save me money. If this is true, of course I wish I'd known before buying a used key, but I have not seen this claim repeated anywhere else online, and there are a ton of used fobs for sale claiming they can be reprogrammed.

Was this guy bs'ing me, or is this really the case? He said that it was only for fobs 2013 and later, and that he had a box of useless fobs. The thing is, the manual says that if you add new OEM keys to your car (up to 4) you have to bring all keys in for reprogramming because they each have to be erased. I know this isn't exactly the same as linking to a new car, but it implies that they can be completely erased and reprogrammed. I've attached a photo of the type of key I have and the manual excerpt. Thank you!

Thoughts? Experiences?

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

I recently had an experience with a lost fob on my 2011. My wife lost our one key. I called the dealer, yes they had them and could do it no problem. How much? $170 for the fobs, I wanted two, and a $60 programming fee and a $10 cut fee for each key.

Wow, grand total over $400. I asked if they programmed aftermarket fobs. Yes , $60 plus the cut fee. I bought two off eBay for $60 and had the dealership program them. It came to $80 plus tax. Shop around. I don’t have any idea where your vehicle is but it will need to be towed to the dealership. Again shop around. A private towing service is going to be less than having the dealer come and pick your cane up, unless it’s already at the dealer.

The pic you posted is a NEW fob with an uncut key. I don’t see what they’re talking about a used fob for. Your pic is the way they come from the factory. Call another dealer.

The after market fob will probably not be as trouble free as a factory fob. I have to hit the lock or unlock button everytime I want to start the car, or it is not recognized. It’s annoying but not the end of the world.

jryka

My 2015 fob says HOLD on the 3rd button.

smp82

Hi Rogue Jarhead--I appreciate the response (sorry for the delay!). The reason the dealer was talking about programming a used fob was because I did actually buy a used fob due to the reasoning the dealer first supplied--which was that the aftermarket new key fobs are unreliable (the photo I included was just a stock photo for reference). Luckily I won't need the car towed because I still have a spare, but I'd like to prevent that situation because this isn't the first time in my life I've lost keys.

I guess I'll just follow your lead and buy an aftermarket fob, and go that route. I didn't loose too much on the used fob, so it's not that big of a deal. Your reprogramming is a bargain! In the Denver metro area I can't get it for less that $140 (that doesn't include the cost of the fob!).

Thanks again for your thoughts on the matter and for sharing your experience with me--much appreciated. If you still have the buyer information where you bought the fob in your ebay history, it'd be appreciated. The way the dealer told me (tried to scare me) is that there are a lot of counterfeit fobs out there. I suspect they are engaging in scare tactics so I'll pay their fees. Thanks!
Rogue Jarhead wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:31 am
I recently had an experience with a lost fob on my 2011. My wife lost our one key. I called the dealer, yes they had them and could do it no problem. How much? $170 for the fobs, I wanted two, and a $60 programming fee and a $10 cut fee for each key.

Wow, grand total over $400. I asked if they programmed aftermarket fobs. Yes , $60 plus the cut fee. I bought two off eBay for $60 and had the dealership program them. It came to $80 plus tax. Shop around. I don’t have any idea where your vehicle is but it will need to be towed to the dealership. Again shop around. A private towing service is going to be less than having the dealer come and pick your cane up, unless it’s already at the dealer.

The pic you posted is a NEW fob with an uncut key. I don’t see what they’re talking about a used fob for. Your pic is the way they come from the factory. Call another dealer.

The after market fob will probably not be as trouble free as a factory fob. I have to hit the lock or unlock button everytime I want to start the car, or it is not recognized. It’s annoying but not the end of the world.
Last edited by smp82 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

I went to my eBay history and unfortunately it’s past 90 days, I think the seller was remotesupermarket if that helps but I saw several sellers that were probably selling the same thing. One note, the remote works fine however it’s not as good as the real deal. Always before when you came within range of the ignition the car recognized it almost %100 of the time. Now it’s the opposite I have to push the unlock button a couple of time to remind that lame brain Nissan computer whose car it is before it will start. Inconvenient? Sure, but only because I was used to the original.

Return to “Rogue Forum”