2015 cvt issue, sudden fluid leak.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
wk1102
Car: 08 rouge

2015 rogue sl, never had an issue. Was running fine and then last night at a stop light I lost almost all power. Limped into a parking lot, maybe 200 yards. I stopped. Shut it off. Restarted car would not move.

There was visible leaking, at first I thought it was oil but it is not. Its cvt fluid,. The entire passenger side underneath the car is wet, puddles on the ground and front rim. Visible inside the hood, . Like it just sprayed everything on the far left of the engine and underneath. I cannot see where its leaking from. Its everywhere front to back just on the passenger side.

I could not find anything similar online.

Any ideas at all? Any chance my transmission isn't toast?

Can I put off generic cvt fliud in it to see if it helps?

I had a similar issue years ago with a Ford explorer. Was the main seal and only happened at a high speed. The fluid blew out past the torque converter or something.

wk1102

Also worth mentioning, I had accidentally turned off the overdrive, via the push button in the shifter, maybe a mile to a mile and half before the incident. I never went above 40 mph and was going around 30 for most of the time. I realized as I was slowing for the light and pushed the button to turn it back on.

No codes, no dash lights.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

Did you hit or run over anything that may have cracked your transmission pan? Did someone else who drives or borrowed you car do the same?

rabidus
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue
2012 Nissan Quest

The transmission is on the drivers side. If its leaking out fast, it shouldn't be hard to see where its coming from. Maybe the passenger side shaft seal went.

wk1102

No one borrowed it, I didn't hit anything. I was on a smooth road had been driving for 45 min or so.

It looks like it was sprayed from a hose. It it only on the passenger side ... front to back underneath the car. Fluid puddles in the rim.

It looks like it originates about half way up inside the engine compartment . I wasnt able to get underneath it. I'm going back soon.

I know the transmission is on the drivers side...

Would it be safe to put aftermarket fluid in just to locate the leak?

wk1102

rabidus wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:26 pm
The transmission is on the drivers side. If its leaking out fast, it shouldn't be hard to see where its coming from. Maybe the passenger side shaft seal went.
If it is a seal, or cracked pan or fluid line, (does the fluid run through the radiator?)

Is there a chance the transmission isn't shot?

Probably not right, running with out fluid would kill it quick right?

I guess I'm going to have it towed to Nissan, I was really hopping to avoid bringing to a dealership. :/

wk1102

I just jacked it up and got underneath. I can see where its leaking from. The transmission itself if dry, the tran pan is dry. Its just the passenger side, looks like from somewhere under the alternator.. that area anyway..

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

It sounds like a hose came loose. Does your transmission have a transmission cooler mounted in front of or behind the radiator? The cooler would look like a miniature radiator itself. I'm not sure if the early rogues had transmission lines attached to the bottom or side of the radiator but that would also be worth looking at.

wk1102

Rogue Jarhead wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:08 pm
It sounds like a hose came loose. Does your transmission have a transmission cooler mounted in front of or behind the radiator? The cooler would look like a miniature radiator itself. I'm not sure if the early rogues had transmission lines attached to the bottom or side of the radiator but that would also be worth looking at.
No external cooler, my 08 had one. I had it towed to nissan, that was a whole adventure to itself, 5 hours. I just got back.

I traced the route I took, I can see where the fluid started leaking on the road, and follow the trail to where i ended up. From the first spill to where I parked is maybe 200-225 yards. It does look like a line broke or hose came loose, no idea what would cause that that though.

Hopefully the transmission itself isn't damaged, is there reason for me to have hope?

rabidus
2012 Nissan Quest

If it just leaked out because of a seal, the transmission maybe fine. The CVT will not work without fluid.

wk1102

rabidus wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:36 pm
If it just leaked out because of a seal, the transmission maybe fine. The CVT will not work without fluid.

Well... that's something I suppose.

Thanks

rabidus
2012 Nissan Quest

https://youtu.be/c47caRqbbnE

Here's how a CVT works, they use air instead of fluid to demonstrate.

wk1102

rabidus wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:12 pm
https://youtu.be/c47caRqbbnE

Here's how a CVT works, they use air instead of fluid to demonstrate.
Thanks, that's interesting and makes me a little hopeful,, I'll be cautiously optimistic.

wk1102

The dealership called, they haven't looked at it yet but... apparently there is a transmission line with a valve on that side in the area of my leak...

I don't know if that's good new or not but that's a i got. What causes a the valve to blow?

wk1102

Cooler line blew. Wont know anything else until tomorrow. He said they need to replace all the fluid because it smelled burnt. In not a cvt fluid expert but the fluid that was dripping and pooling was a light golden brown, almost like new motor oil maybe lighter. It did not have a burnt smell to me.
$468.00

Still cautiously optimistic, hopefully I'll have good news tomorrow. I cant afford a new transmission right now and really would hate to spend 468 just to find out its shot.

rabidus
2012 Nissan Quest

There's probably no way to know if there's any damage until you put fluid in and drive it.

wk1102

rabidus wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:55 pm
There's probably no way to know if there's any damage until you put fluid in and drive it.
Yeah, I know. It's just the not knowing that sucks. I really can't afford a new transmission right now. I'll know soon enough I guess.

wk1102

Seems to be running fine, thankfully.

Big relief.

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

Id be compelled to do a 2x drain and fill if that ever happened to me just for good measure

rabidus
2012 Nissan Quest

Sounds good! The CVT transmission works great and I like it. I think it requires more maintenance than recommended my the manufacturer.

Had you tried to drive it without fluid, I'm sure things would have been worse!

wk1102

rabidus wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:28 pm
Sounds good! The CVT transmission works great and I like it. I think it requires more maintenance than recommended my the manufacturer.

Had you tried to drive it without fluid, I'm sure things would have been worse!

Yeah, I was pretty aggravated at 1st but in retrospect, if it had to happen, it happened at the absolute right time. It was late, no traffic, just a few miles from the dealership and 15 minutes from home. The prior two days I had driven two long trips, Miami & ft lauderdale. 120, & 100 miles one way. I can't imagine anything good would have come of it happening on i -95 @ 85 mph.

I'm just so relieved that there was no major damage.

I replaced the rear wheel hubs today, well one. I did the other side last week. Not sure if both were bad or if I replaced the wrong one at first. it's so much quieter.

He said the hose was tore up pretty good. I hit a piece of tire 2-3 months ago on the interstate, other than that I don't recall anything. Who knows.

I have trip to make Sunday, 160 mile round trip. I feel confident ill be fine.

Return to “Rogue Forum”